Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my opinion vault:

Dont most players (not all) want to play regularly. Feature for the first team? A lot have been said about Rom leaving but i cannot honestly fathom he would want to goto a team where he is an "also" on the team. Not saying he isnt good enough for the likes of Madrid or Bayern or BVB or Barca...just not really see him go there to further his career based on the coveted playing time.

I think if Romelu leaves then it will be for a pay check only, but I dont really see that from his past expressions and attitude.

..So hang on to your hats kids, this wind in our sails could/should be here for years. Yes years.

While I agree we shouldn't go mad with the money, buying Rooney would be a massive step backwards imo

It's certainly one that polarises opinions mate.

But personally I feel the stage is set for him to come back if Rom does go. Would be perfect for him to be on board as, whatever you say, a genuine winner who's been there and done it. He's still got a lot to offer, IMO.

From my opinion vault:

Dont most players (not all) want to play regularly. Feature for the first team? A lot have been said about Rom leaving but i cannot honestly fathom he would want to goto a team where he is an "also" on the team. Not saying he isnt good enough for the likes of Madrid or Bayern or BVB or Barca...just not really see him go there to further his career based on the coveted playing time.

I think if Romelu leaves then it will be for a pay check only, but I dont really see that from his past expressions and attitude.

..So hang on to your hats kids, this wind in our sails could/should be here for years. Yes years.

playing in the champions league mate to test yourself against the best. Not languishing in the bottom half of the premier league. I hope I'm wrong but I cant see it.

playing in the champions league mate to test yourself against the best. Not languishing in the bottom half of the premier league. I hope I'm wrong but I cant see it.

There's that argument but then again Astana qualified for the CL this year...

Yeh... Astana. You know that stalwart of European football...

He's got time on his side. He's already said he wants to stay in the Prem next year. Unless Real or Bayern come in for him I don't see that changing. PSG is an option but he would go backwards playing in a one-horse league and it would purely be for CL.

But he himself has said he wants to stay in England. Potentially, W.Ham, Leicester and Spurs could all be in the CL next year. Now he's not going to go to any of them...

I don't think it would mate. Those sorts of wages and fees for a good player who is well past his prime?

There's a deal to be done mate.

Shirt sales etc all can go towards wages. It would be a structured deal but Rooney I think would see it as the right time.

He isn't going to China, he can barely speak English. I can't see him going to America yet either...

He's either staying at United (most likely), or I think we're the only semi-realistic option for him come summer.

I'd be worried if I wasn't so sure it's not going to happen

I'm not saying it's likely atm.

I'm saying if Rom leaves, Rooney would be one of the two replacements I'd bring in. The other one would have to be a striker from the continent ultimately - e.g. a Lacazette. But there's no guarantee they'd be straight into the pace of the Prem so to have Rooney on board would be a huge help

There's that argument but then again Astana qualified for the CL this year...

Yeh... Astana. You know that stalwart of European football...

He's got time on his side. He's already said he wants to stay in the Prem next year. Unless Real or Bayern come in for him I don't see that changing. PSG is an option but he would go backwards playing in a one-horse league and it would purely be for CL.

But he himself has said he wants to stay in England. Potentially, W.Ham, Leicester and Spurs could all be in the CL next year. Now he's not going to go to any of them...

I think he'll leave mate - don't blame him but just hope he scores a cup final winner as a farewell. If he joins west ham or spurs I will cry my eyes out. Hope he goes abroad so I can still cheer him on.

He's got to be worth at least twice what we paid for him, so £56m+. How many teams could afford that in the FFP age?

Probably Real Madrid, if they decided to upgrade Benzema.
Barca are under tight financial controls and wouldn't break up their South American forward line.
United perhaps?
City have Aguero as their lone striker and too many midfielders to accommodate to switch to 4-4-2.
PSG have Ibrahimovich.
Chelsea could be an option if they unload Costa.
Bayern's record signing is £31.6m and they have Lewandowski.

In my opinion, Lukaku would only be a realistic target for a handful of clubs. Realistically, Madrid or Bayern could get him, and in England - City or Arsenal. But I don't think Arsenal would be willing to pay that kind of money for him.

Lukaku has repeatedly stated how much ambition he has and how he wants to become one of the worlds best and challenge for honours/play in the CL. He won't get that at Man United or Chelsea so I genuinely think that rules them out. I also don't think he would be in a rush to go back to Chelsea either after them deeming him to not be good enough.

I think he'll leave mate - don't blame him but just hope he scores a cup final winner as a farewell. If he joins west ham or spurs I will cry my eyes out. Hope he goes abroad so I can still cheer him on.

He isn't joining W.Ham and he I can't see him at Spurs...

If he leaves for a Prem side it's gonna be Arsenal, City (can't see it) or Utd. Two of them may well not be in the CL next year...

One of the big positives in our favour of retaining Lukaku is the clear evidence that the CL "glass ceiling" has well and truly been smashed this year.

Of course, we should have been contenders ourselves but it demonstrates that it's no longer a closed shop. There's no reason why Lukaku cannot fulfil his CL ambitions at Everton.

The final league positions of Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham will all demonstrate that a viable challenge can come from any of perhaps 9 clubs including Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back