Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looked a frustrated soul out there yesterday. Nothing went right for him and we created very little.

this.

I like that he was prepared to mix it with Dier and Walker in that little bout of handbags. Could possibly have vented his frustration more positively (i.e. slamming the ball into the net after bulldozing his way through them) .. but showed fight & passion nevertheless, something I feel is missing in the team.

Looked tired from the first whistle. Remember 2 years ago when we had 3 games in a week and by the last one he looked exhausted? Same case yesterday after the 120 minutes in midweek. Guess we will always have to accept that he will put in the odd shocker like this but we have to remember how good he can be and hope he has a stormer against his old club next up.

Lukaku played close to 300 minutes of football in seven days. I'm willing to cut him some slack for not playing with as high an energy level as we normally hope to get from him.

Interesting article by Phil Kirkbride who interviews Lukaku's manager at Anderlect, Ariel Jacobs, where he gives his perspective on his career development.
Loads of words about 'his weaknesses', but never mentions a single one of them to elaborate. Strange piece.

As for: “The problem is that at Anderlecht and at West Brom and Everton, is that he has been scoring goals,”.

Not much of a problem that really.

How good was he in his first 45 minutes in an Everton jersey?. Jelavich had been subbed at half time vs West Ham and on came this braid-headed leviathan who trapped every ball played to him, laid it off beautifully to team mates running off him...and scored the winner. He's subsequently had some very fine games for us, but that 45 minutes...

Loads of words about 'his weaknesses', but never mentions a single one of them to elaborate. Strange piece.

As for: “The problem is that at Anderlecht and at West Brom and Everton, is that he has been scoring goals,”.

Not much of a problem that really.

Well problem probably isn't the right word. It's in reference to his weaknesses in that his great goalscoring record means they tend to be overlooked, thus assuming that coaches and managers might not have worked on them as they should have done, thinking that his goalscoring record meant they didn't have to.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a 22 year old with over 200 first team games, over 3 seasons in the Premier League and World Cup appearances often struggles to do one of the most basic parts of a footballers game.

Point being, thats as good as he is, he could be even better, he could score more goals for himself and help his team score more goals.

Which is surely the idea.

Well problem probably isn't the right word. It's in reference to his weaknesses in that his great goalscoring record means they tend to be overlooked, thus assuming that coaches and managers might not have worked on them as they should have done, thinking that his goalscoring record meant they didn't have to.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a 22 year old with over 200 first team games, over 3 seasons in the Premier League and World Cup appearances often struggles to do one of the most basic parts of a footballers game.

Point being, thats as good as he is, he could be even better, he could score more goals for himself and help his team score more goals.

Which is surely the idea.
Scores all those goals - start tinkering about too much and it could backfire. He is, after all, an attacker tasked with putting the ball in the net.

I'd start complaining about weaknesses if he ever stopped scoring bags of goals.

Scores all those goals - start tinkering about too much and it could backfire. He is, after all, an attacker tasked with putting the ball in the net.

I'd start complaining about weaknesses if he ever stopped scoring bags of goals.

It's tricky now, so it should have been done many years ago.

And he's not an attacker tasked with putting the ball in the net, he's 1 of 11 players on the pitch tasked with helping his team win the game.

Simply scoring goals for himself might be his main role, but it's not his only role in the team.

Sure, while he is scoring the goals he does that's the minimum i'd accept. But ideally (and i'd expect any manager to say the same) you'd want other parts of his game to be better thus helping the team score more goals.

Lukaku could score 38 goals next season and we could get relelgated if they only lead to 1-1 draws after he also miscontrols it straight into the path of an opposition player.

Or he could score 10 goals next season but we could win the league if he holds the ball up well, keeps posession rather than giving it away and brings his team mates into play in good attacking positions allowing them to score.

I know which i'd prefer but seemingly most people would prefer the former cause apparently they're so shortsighted it's only his goals that matter.

And he's not an attacker tasked with putting the ball in the net, he's 1 of 11 players on the pitch tasked with helping his team win the game.

Simply scoring goals for himself might be his main role, but it's not his only role in the team.

Sure, while he is scoring the goals he does that's the minimum i'd accept. But ideally (and i'd expect any manager to say the same) you'd want other parts of his game to be better thus helping the team score more goals.

Lukaku could score 38 goals next season and we could get relelgated if they only lead to 1-1 draws after he also miscontrols it straight into the path of an opposition player.

Or he could score 10 goals next season but we could win the league if he holds the ball up well, keeps posession rather than giving it away and brings his team mates into play in good attacking positions allowing them to score.

I know which i'd prefer but seemingly most people would prefer the former cause apparently they're so shortsighted it's only his goals that matter.
Reading your post reminded me of how complete a CF, Graham Sharp was

He does bring others into the game. It just so happens he's very good at putting the ball in the net. If others do their job as well as Lukaku does his we'll have no problems.

That Anderlecht coach is a fool if he sits there wondering where it all went wrong with Lukaku....maybe that was the reason he came up with no examples of his weaknesses. File under "crank Belgian coach".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back