Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because having him here hasn't really led to anything other than him padding out his goal record.

If you'd have asked me three years ago what I thought the impact of a near-£30m addition to the Everton side would be, I imagine I'd have expected something along the lines of Tevez at City, Bale at Spurs or Suarez/Torres at Liverpool.

As it's turned out, having him hasn't been the difference in big games, or even inspired a marginal improvement in league position. In fact, Everton are now firmly entrenched in the bottom half, and still get turfed out of cup competitions at the first sign of a decent side.

Also, as someone who has made some frankly outrageous claims regarding the quality of the current Everton team, I'm sure you won't reply to this by claiming that his fine goal return has been the only thing keeping them in the division.

I hope you will now reconsider sneering at anyone who isn't too cut up about saying goodbye to this unlikeable diva.

Right, but he's scored 18 goals this PL campaign. It's not his job to defend the leads those goals have given us... I've said many times that I think he's far from the complete package, but he's the best we'll get for where we are as a club.

And what outrageous claims are those mate?

I really don't see why you make a battle out of everything? I don't think many people view Lukaku as a diva...

It's simply that he's a footballer focusing on improving himself. Had other areas of the team been sorted out (in hindsight, and I've admitted I was wrong on this, RM is hugely at fault) then his goals could (and probably would) have seen us entrenched firmly in the top half. In fact, look at the goalscorers around Lukaku. Their teams all finished in the top four...

just typical evertonian negativeness to be honest. he's under contract at the end of the day, if we tell him he has to stay put, he will.

While I think he may very well be on his way this summer, I also think Moshiri may try and have a word with him and lay out the ambition - followed by buying a brand new shiny strike partner.

Right, but he's scored 18 goals this PL campaign. It's not his job to defend the leads those goals have given us... I've said many times that I think he's far from the complete package, but he's the best we'll get for where we are as a club.

And what outrageous claims are those mate?

I really don't see why you make a battle out of everything? I don't think many people view Lukaku as a diva...

It's simply that he's a footballer focusing on improving himself. Had other areas of the team been sorted out (in hindsight, and I've admitted I was wrong on this, RM is hugely at fault) then his goals could (and probably would) have seen us entrenched firmly in the top half. In fact, look at the goalscorers around Lukaku. Their teams all finished in the top four...
I don't expect him to run himself into the ground - he doesn't have the physique to play like a Tevez or even a Vardy - but he still has the same responsibility to the team as everybody else. When the striker struggles to hold the ball up, and also fails to offer an out-ball if he decides he can't be arsed, it immediately puts pressure on the players behind him. This is what I see happening far, far too often.

The claims are the ones made (not just by you) during the period where Martinez decided to set up like Ian Holloway's Blackpool and turn every game into a wild, open shoot-out. It's beyond me how anyone thought that one day they were suddenly just going to tighten at the back without goals drying up at the other end, and yet suggesting that a series of exciting draws and defeats weren't necessarily precursors to greatness typically resulted in a tirade of ridicule.

Ultimately, his goals will attract a certain amount of interest, but I would be very surprised if a major club felt he was capable of leading the line in a results-driven team.

I don't expect him to run himself into the ground - he doesn't have the physique to play like a Tevez or even a Vardy - but he still has the same responsibility to the team as everybody else. When the striker struggles to hold the ball up, and also fails to offer an out-ball if he decides he can't be arsed, it immediately puts pressure on the players behind him. This is what I see happening far, far too often.
The claims are the ones made (not just by you) during the period where Martinez decided to set up like Ian Holloway's Blackpool and turn every game into a wild, open shoot-out. It's beyond me how anyone thought that one day they were suddenly just going to tighten at the back without goals drying up at the other end, and yet suggesting that a series of exciting draws and defeats weren't necessarily precursors to greatness typically resulted in a tirade of ridicule.

Ultimately, his goals will attract a certain amount of interest, but I would be very surprised if a major club felt he was capable of leading the line in a results-driven team.

Okay, I agree with you - as I've said he's far from a complete player - though it has to be noted his hold up play has improved dramatically this season.

Fair enough on the middle par. As for him moving on, I agree there that I'd be surprised if a massive club like he seems to be aiming for would put up such a huge sum (I think we'll be demanding £50mil starting price, personally) unless he absolutely storms the Euros.

I know it's a highly unlikely scenario but if we got Jose and he brought some top class players to the team in the summer then lukaku would not leave.

Koeman and a rebuild job he probably would still follow the money so to speak.

Article in the Echo today, interview with Rom.

Lukaku, who will now shift his focus to his national team's Euro 2016 exploits, said: "It was important to finish the season well in front of the home fans. We owe them.

"It's been a difficult year for the fans, especially at home because we haven't delivered the result we should have normally

"It's promising to finish like this.

"Hopefully the guys will have a good summer and then next year will be even better."

The striker, who ended a prolific season with 25 goals, added that he wishes the departing Tim Howard every success in the MLS ewhere he will start next term in goal for Colorado Rapids.

"Tim was one of the guys who showed me around the club when I first came," he said. "I'll always owe him.

"I wish him well in the future. It's been a privilege for me to play with him."

That quote in bold doesn't sound great to me.. sounds like he's wishing "the guys" well for next season, rather than saying he'll be here with them.

Lukaku, who will now shift his focus to his national team's Euro 2016 exploits, said: "It was important to finish the season well in front of the home fans. We owe them.

"It's been a difficult year for the fans, especially at home because we haven't delivered the result we should have normally

"Hopefully the guys will have a good summer and then next year will be even better."

The striker, who ended a prolific season with 25 goals, added that he wishes the departing Tim Howard every success in the MLS ewhere he will start next term in goal for Colorado Rapids.

"Tim was one of the guys who showed me around the club when I first came," he said. "I'll always owe him.

That quote in bold doesn't sound great to me.. sounds like he's wishing "the guys" well for next season, rather than saying he'll be here with them.

Sounds like it could be that way. So what clubs would come in for him that are in for CL?

A Tim Howard fan?

Sell him.

Yep, some very guarded generalisations there, with no reference to himself.

Reactions: Sy-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back