Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are going to pay us 65m for Rom, how much do we get for Deulofeu ?
If they are going to sign Lukaku they had also better sign Del as he made most of the goals for Rom.
I wonder about Lukaku in a team that isn't built around him , he is not exactly the unselfish type to run around in lost causes for the good of the team.

He was our only striker, but in what way was the team built around him? Never two wings, Barkley behind him who likes to run with the ball more than give a pass, and always two defensive midfielders.

Well never play 4-4-2 though, don't think 1 we have the squad for it and 2 the managers we look to be chasing play that (with exception of Koeman who has played it a few times).

I have watched Bony this season and he has been utter turd - Gomis at swansea has been 10 times the player, even though he probably doesnt have half the ability.

With the exception of Leicester, barely no-one at the top level plays 4-4-2.

These days, 4-4-2 is reserved for when you're chasing the game and bring on an extra striker.

I'm no footy manager but there must be some reason behind it, all I know is that our problems this season definitely weren't because of us not playing 2 upfront.

These days, 4-4-2 is reserved for when you're chasing the game and bring on an extra striker.

I'm no footy manager but there must be some reason behind it, all I know is that our problems this season definitely weren't not playing 2 upfront.

Which is exactly my point as to why we won't be bringing bony in with someone along side him.

Which is exactly my point as to why we won't be bringing bony in with someone along side him.

Agree we won't be bringing in a striking partner but, assuming Rom stays, I think we'll be getting another striker as back up this summer given that Kone is poo and Niasse looks like he is, too.

Make that 2 strikers if he goes.

I'm no footy manager but there must be some reason behind it, all I know is that our problems this season definitely weren't because of us not playing 2 upfront.

Because a 4-4-2 concedes the midfield to every team playing 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1, or 4-3-3. Which is everybody.

Won't miss Lukaku? He's the reason why we weren't in a relegation dogfight this year. 65mil is great money to bolster the squad, but come on now. A 22 year old who bangs in around 20 in the prem consistently is going to be a massive miss.
I was referring to me personally, I won't miss him, yes he scored goals and is a good player, but doesn't want to be there so let him go

Because a 4-4-2 concedes the midfield to every team playing 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1, or 4-3-3. Which is everybody.

Atletico Madrid play 4-4-2 and have achieved fantastic results with it.

People get too tied up in formations anyway, they are generally more flexible than people acknowledge.

I was referring to me personally, I won't miss him, yes he scored goals and is a good player, but doesn't want to be there so let him go

This for me. We'd all ove him to stay but if he doesn't want to be here then move him on. Not interested ine bit in us having players who don't want to play for us don't care how good they are.

"Around 20" Scored 18 this year and at his age will only improve you'd think...
The age thing I think is a bit overplayed.
He is a vastly experienced striker. He has four or five years of Premiership football behind him and is an experienced international.
I think he may already be at his very peak or nearly at it. It wouldn't be so bad if he was.

The part of his game that he most needs to work on is the consistency of his performance and maybe age will improve that.
There are still too many days when the team is nearly better off without him as he can look totally disinterested. This is all the more frustrating because when his attitude is right he is a top striker.
He was a big fish in the Everton pool but if he gets the move that he wants to a club like Bayern he will need to be on top of his game every day if he hopes to play.
Utd have Lingaard, Martial, Rashford and Rooney I wonder if they need to spend 65m to buy Lukaku. City may actually be a better bet, but he would be fighting with Aguero and Iheanacho for a place there. If City gave us money and Iheanacho that would be worth considering.
At Bayern he will not get in ahead of Muller and Lewandowski. PSGcertainly would be an option if you want to play in a lesser league.

Atletico Madrid play 4-4-2 and have achieved fantastic results with it.

People get too tied up in formations anyway, they are generally more flexible than people acknowledge.

Like I said, mate. There are exceptions at the highest level, but there must be some reason it's rare, though.

Like I said, mate. There are exceptions at the highest level, but there must be some reason it's rare, though.

It's rare because it went out of vogue like all formations do. As teams started to value possession more, tactics with an extra man in midfield became more common.

As lots of teams are now realising, and we Everton fans know all too well, possession can be overrated. What you do with it is more important.

A 4-4-2 allows faster and more direct play, with two strikers in the part of the pitch where most goals are scored from. It also aids in a 'high press' with two strikers to harrass a team trying to play out from the back. One of the strikers can easily drop back to make it a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 if necessary.

I'm going to bet that more and more teams will adopt it now it's been shown that it can be effective. Until people start finding good ways to counter it of course, then another formation will become the next big thing.

a lot of moneyed teams will be hunting for quality players this window, which teams with any hope of pushing on won't want to let go. City need to rebuild I'm being told, united and Chelsea will be in big and west ham look to be making early bids , this window will be brutal. Rom will be a hot commodity, and supply and demand will push his price way beyond his value.

I'd say that for the most part, teams still pack the same amount of bodies into each area of the pitch. There's just a bit more variation in terms of how they attack down the flanks.

Barkley basically plays up front now; like a jarg Peter Beardsley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back