Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not denying he is a good player, but his purple patch came about when Deulofeu was at his best.
I have not looked at the stats. but I would guess that a very high percentage of his goals came from direct assists by Deulofeu and after Del went out of the team Lukaku's goals more or less dried up as well.

It would be interesting as well over the season to see how many bad misses he had, let's start with the cup semi final.

We all know he is a good player and I certainly would like him to stay at Everton and see him improve further. But, there certainly are defects in his game and I believe that he thinks he is better than he actually is.
However, I do not believe any of the top teams are interested in him and there is a reason for that, just as there was a reason for Mourinho selling him in the first place. I think it is probably PSG for him or equally as likely when no big team declares an interest that he decides to stay at Everton under the new manager.

If he does he will find life very difficult as Koeman will not tolerate some of the lazy half baked efforts we have seen from Rom this season.
Yes he's had some bad misses (particularly in that semi final, sadly) - perhaps you can find a striker in the PL who hasn't? Augero missed a few sitters last season.

Mourinho sold him (effectively) 3-4yrs ago when he started loaning him out every season. He's a significantly better player than he was back then. He's significantly better than he was even when he joined us permanently.

I'm just not a fan of this revisionist history. He may not be quite as good as he thinks he is, but he is comfortably the best striker we've had at the club in at least 20yrs, and we'll be poorer for him leaving - it's VERY unlikely that at this stage we'll be able to recruit someone of his quality as a replacement.

It's like so

Is that the best comparison though? Yes Ferguson flogged a few players at their peak like Beckham & Van Nistelrooy, but he had a wealth of superstars ready to replace them. And as one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world, they had no worries whatsoever about buying players of a similar ability. We don't have that luxury.

For me, if you're striving to get to the top, you do not sell your best players.
Disagree if they are disruptive. With respect if you want success there is no better comparison, thats how he became the most succesful manager ever. He built the thing himself.

I think Lukaku can improve further, but it's not as if he is just starting to learn the game. He has played 73 for Anderlecht and has 149 premiership appearances behind him. If we add cup games and international games we are talking about a very experienced international footballer.
To improve, I think he needs to realise that he is not as good as he thinks he is. He needs to work harder and he needs to shut his big mouth.

CL experience - zilch really

International record - terrible scoring rate for a very good side

He has a lot of experience and he isn't a kid, but any buying club will have some serious reservations about him - especially so for 65m - maybe more so because now he is experienced and his game has some very obvious flaws in it, not 100% sure how him, his dad and his agent gobbing off all the time will sit with any buying club either tbh, i know for me - if we'd targeted someone and all this was coming out of his camp then i'd get bored fast of it

Basically in my eyes - unless United or PSg get desperate and knocked back by their first/second choices this summer, then he really did miss the chance to force a move, he basically seemed to up sticks the last dozen or so games, which really muist have cooled interest ultimately, Lukaku scoring an extra 6-7 goals in the league this seaosn, playing in a cup final and winning it etc, then yeah maybe teams would stick their necks out more, but end of the day he finished a mile away (7 and 6 goals) from Kane, Vardy and Aguerro and in the pack along with Mahrez (a midfielder), Ighalo, Giroud and defoe (all who finsihed 1 - 3 behind him)

He seems to be banking and has done for a few months now on either - more interest than their is for the price or on having an absolute belter of a euros which convinces someone to take the punt.

Think he is gonns be very very surprised at the result

In terms of the goals he scores for us, the amount of games over a singular season - it's not really much more than Yakubu.
Yak scored in 16 different games in 07/08
Rom has scored vs 19 teams in 15/16

However, he has his whole career ahead of him and is getting better all the time.

It's an awkward one because he is boss yeah, but if he is going to disrespect his team mates to the media openly amongst being a massive pleb then to be honest, finding another goal scorer wouldn't be impossible with the £££ we have

Yes he's had some bad misses (particularly in that semi final, sadly) - perhaps you can find a striker in the PL who hasn't? Augero missed a few sitters last season.

Mourinho sold him (effectively) 3-4yrs ago when he started loaning him out every season. He's a significantly better player than he was back then. He's significantly better than he was even when he joined us permanently.

I'm just not a fan of this revisionist history. He may not be quite as good as he thinks he is, but he is comfortably the best striker we've had at the club in at least 20yrs, and we'll be poorer for him leaving - it's VERY unlikely that at this stage we'll be able to recruit someone of his quality as a replacement.

Thing is though mate, for a reported 65m, witht he clubs linked to him, he hasn't got to just be better than the relative rubbish we have been watchincompared to him, but has to be better for that price than what the buying club is use to seeing

United will compare him to the likes of RVN, Rooney at his peak and Ronaldo for that price, PSG to Ibra etc, he isn't actually in that bracket yet, and bizareely what we paid for him is his cock block to the 'next' level of club that would ordinarily be his progression path

In terms of the goals he scores for us, the amount of games over a singular season - it's not really much more than Yakubu.
Yak scored in 16 different games in 07/08
Rom has scored vs 19 teams in 15/16

However, he has his whole career ahead of him and is getting better all the time.

It's an awkward one because he is boss yeah, but if he is going to disrespect his team mates to the media openly amongst being a massive pleb then to be honest, finding another goal scorer wouldn't be impossible with the £££ we have

Check out Lukaku's league record the past 2 seasons against the 'big' clubs mate, posted it the other week or so ago, it's an absolutely horrid scoring rate

Vardy league titles: 1

Lazy Lukaku league titles: 0

Jamie Vardy will be 30 in January.

Goals. Games(all competitions)
Season 2012/13 Championship 5 29 (age 26)
13/14 Championship 16 41
14/15. PL. 5 24
15/16 PL. 24 38

Total 50 goals in 164 games

Lukaku was 23 in mid May

Goals. Games(all competitions)
Season 2012/13 PL. 17 38(age 19)
13/14 PL. 16 33
14/15. PL. 20 48
15/16 PL. 25 46

Total 78 goals in 165 games.

Since making his debut for Everton he has scored 63 goals in total out of a grand team total of 224.

Lazy I am not sure, will he be missed?

Reactions: DRM
Disagree if they are disruptive. With respect if you want success there is no better comparison, thats how he became the most succesful manager ever. He built the thing himself.

Yes he built the thing himself. And THEN he was able to flog the likes of Beckham if he fell out with them personally. It's a lot easier to do when you've got a treble, countless titles and a knighthood under your belt. Would he have sold the likes of Robson, Cantona and Giggs when he was going for the first league title? I doubt it.

A more relevant comparison would be to look at how Liverpool fared after selling Suarez. He was desperate to leave, they forced him to stay and he nearly won them the league on his own. Then they sold him and they've been nowhere ever since.

Very, very rarely does selling your star player help you chase down the teams ahead of you.

£65m is a ridiculously high figure and I don't think he has the talent to justify it...BUT.. I reckon we would spend a lot more than that over the next 5 years trying to find someone as good as him.

Yes he built the thing himself. And THEN he was able to flog the likes of Beckham if he fell out with them personally. It's a lot easier to do when you've got a treble, countless titles and a knighthood under your belt. Would he have sold the likes of Robson, Cantona and Giggs when he was going for the first league title? I doubt it.

A more relevant comparison would be to look at how Liverpool fared after selling Suarez. He was desperate to leave, they forced him to stay and he nearly won them the league on his own. Then they sold him and they've been nowhere ever since.

Very, very rarely does selling your star player help you chase down the teams ahead of you.

£65m is a ridiculously high figure and I don't think he has the talent to justify it...BUT.. I reckon we would spend a lot more than that over the next 5 years trying to find someone as good as him.
Hmmm not sure

@Tubey should be aplauded for lambasting him all season as he's flattered to deceive.

Only got where he was as he took the penalty spot from Baines. Then promptly missed a semi final one.

So don't lecture me about how good he is supposedly.

I know better.

Wow! He's only taken 2 penalties all season, 1 he scored from. I'm not quite sure if he's on some sort of multiplier for that goal. I guess he's absolute dogs turd rubbish with his 24 other goals, or maybe they don't exist :Blink:

He's a young talented lad who slots goals for fun. Sure he has the first touch of a baby rhino, a free flowing mouth, and a father who's trying to help his agent flog him to the highest bidder, but this seems to be a common theme for Belgians. The lad scored 25 goals for crying out loud, in a team that finished in the bottom half of the table, with an utter fraud of a manager setting up the team in a way that starved him of any service for large chunks of the season.

We either want young ambitious players, or we want hard working sub 10 goals a seasons journey men. Talented players will always want to play at the top, hopefully we're now a club that can match that ambition! I'm still baffled by the blerts who think he's rubbish, but then in the next breath want £60m+ for this alleged donkey. Absolutely mind boggling!

If there is anyway to keep him lets keep him, he clearly contributes hugely, i think its about boradening our options to be honest, strikers of a different ilk who can offer us varience. If hes being disruptive then let him go. Another year we could be exactly the kind of club where he will want to be though so its worth hanging on to him.

As much as he's pissed me off, the thing is I could see him doing very very well in a Koeman side.

Let's forget the past couple of months under an utterly shocking manager and start again.

By all means though get a proper alternative like Milik, and get rid of at least one out of Kone/Niasse.

I like him,is he worth £65m? To a team with money and desperate for a striker yes he is,but he is not a top drawer cf and I doubt he ever will be,if theres a chance to keep him then we should,once he bangs in a couple of goals early on all the mouthing off will be forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back