Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jelavic's hold up play was superb, but wasn't great in front of goal

lukaku has a poor first touch but is superb in front of goal

As long as he scores I am happy

He's a 22 year old player for gods sake, he's not prefect but then again no player is at 22. He needs to work on certain aspect of his play to become more rounded of course but in the meantime he's already an outstanding player who can win games almost single handedly.

I think it's worth considering for a minute where the likes of Costa, Lewandowski, Mandzukic or even Drogba where at at this stage of their careers. None of them were in a top competitive league, and none of them had a scoring ratio to touch Lukaku's.

Lukaku's biggest failing is he's not got any real competition at Everton at the minute, there's times he clearly needs a rest but we're unable to offer him that and because he's still so dangerous it's unwise to drop him. His touch is fine, it's just that it's inconsistent and the reason for this is down to a lack of concentration rather than skill, which takes us right back to his age...

Oh. So we can look around and find loads of 22 year olds/players with 200 first team games who have a first touch so bad they have actually set up opposition strikers for goals?

You can do what you want I suppose. But while you're looking find another 22 year old with a matching goalscoring record in top flight football will you please.

Can't mate cause there isn't one.

But if his control is so bad because of his age you'll easily be able to find other players of his age and younger with equally as bad first touches, and strikers of his age and younger with such poor hold up play at times.

And any player of any age who has played over 200 first team games for 3 differing PL teams and played in a world cup who is still so poor at certain basics of the game.

Can't mate cause there isn't one.

But if his control is so bad because of his age you'll easily be able to find other players of his age and younger with equally as bad first touches, and strikers of his age and younger with such poor hold up play at times.

And any player of any age who has played over 200 first team games for 3 differing PL teams and played in a world cup who is still so poor at certain basics of the game.

His touch is erratic, one minute it's fine the next it's not as good. That's not because he can't do it otherwise it would always be poor it's because of a lack of concentration.

As I've said he's not prefect but his game is evolving like you'd expect any 22 year olds to, as he gets older his concentration will improve and then you'll see a more consistent player. But in the meantime I guess you'll just have to put up with a very good footballer with an outstanding scoring ratio, so it's not all bad.

image.webp

It's fairly simple for me really.

He doesn't like playing the lone striker's role which obviously requires playing with his back to goal and therefore a good first touch and hold-up play. You can see this in his body language and lack of movement sometimes. This might improve though as he becomes older and more experienced. He should look to Drogba as an example in this regard.

Play him with another striker and/or give him balls to run on to by playing a counter-attacking style and he is right up there with the best finishers. This is why he is so much better with Kone on the pitch as the burden is shared. To get the best out of him we really need to play with 2 strikers, even they are not in a 4-4-2, so that he is not isolated as much. The West Brom game was a prime example of the contrast between both scenarios.

He's a 22 year old player for gods sake, he's not prefect but then again no player is at 22. He needs to work on certain aspect of his play to become more rounded of course but in the meantime he's already an outstanding player who can win games almost single handedly.

I think it's worth considering for a minute where the likes of Costa, Lewandowski, Mandzukic or even Drogba where at at this stage of their careers. None of them were in a top competitive league, and none of them had a scoring ratio to touch Lukaku's.

Lukaku's biggest failing is he's not got any real competition at Everton at the minute, there's times he clearly needs a rest but we're unable to offer him that and because he's still so dangerous it's unwise to drop him. His touch is fine, it's just that it's inconsistent and the reason for this is down to a lack of concentration rather than skill, which takes us right back to his age...

Yes the problem really is we only have him as the only striker who is half decent, so we can't rest or drop him, i do wish people would stop going on about his age though, 22 is not that young when you have liverpool with a couple of 18 year olds, Martial at man u

Not true. If he plays well, I say he has played well, and have done regularly. It just doesn't stand out to you when I do because you're looking to be annoyed by the negative, so you filter for that - case in point, you ignored me praising his impact in the WBA thread.

I'm not going to lie just to "cheer on the lads". If he's crap, I'll say he's crap. He was crap against West Brom, did nothing, then exploded to life, won the game, and that was that. Even in this thread, I've said he's a fantastic goalscorer. I'm not just rabidly tearing apart the guy for no reason.

It's hypocritical of you to have a go at me for pointing out when he's poor, but you won't bat an eyelid at people constantly ignoring how bad he can be on here.

It's a discussion forum - I talk about what I see.

He didn't "explode to life" really though, because he wasn't doing anything massively differently to before his goal. He just got a rare decent bit of service and as he usually does, took full advantage and scored a goal that obliterated WBA's confidence and momentum and changed the game entirely, meaning his team mates had far more success in creating chances for him and others later on. Martinez' tactical changes also helped us out.

Lukaku wasn't anywhere near the main cause of our problems on Monday and often isn't the root of problems, but will usually be the player asked to pick the ball up with back to goal after we've passed the ball around safely with zero penetration/creativity in front of a defence that has had ample time to organise themselves, while he is double man marked and he will then be slated for giving the ball away while the players who should have been giving him actual service that plays to his strengths often avoid criticism. The above is the story of almost every minute of almost every league game last season. Thankfully this season Deulofeu's back and isn't scared of/has no second thoughts about whipping a ball in that he can actually attack.

When most of team is playing "crap", it's likely that Lukaku, as a lone striker, will also look crap/ineffective as he's dependent on service from them. When the only way he can get the ball is by sprinting away from the goal he's meant to be attacking to do tasks that ask him to rely on his weakest attributes, he's never ever going to look good. This was the case a pretty shocking number of times in the first hour or so on Monday night and in countless other games previous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back