Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has clearly offered additional funds if we're willing to spend almost £50mil on two players mate... have agreed a £25mil fee for Witsel with his club...

He pledged to retain key players. As I said, one of them had wanted out for a year. Koeman himself admitted that today. We got a record fee for him.

I can't be arsed with it for now lad, honest. It's boring. I'm gonna whack you on ignore until the end of the window cos it's just the same circular arguments and i think it's obvious we aren't gonna agree on much and I can't imagine it's fun reading for anybody else either. If the window shuts and we're in deep crap, vault the hell out of me, and lead the bloody BU protest for all I care.

People keep saying this "agreed a deal
With Zenit" but did we?

I am a tad confused, some paper said it maybe....

IF the deals for Bolasie and Kone go through (which look likely) then we will have spent circa £60-65m (depending on which figures to believe) so far.

That means that we would have a NET spend (at that stage) of circa £15-20mil. That means all the money (and more) from the Stones deal has gone back into the playing squad, would it not???

You keep banging on about his promises, but I've just pointed out he only made two comments re. transfers. The rest of what he has done (compo for Koeman, plus £7mil deal), Walsh, stadium renovations, widely reported FF renovations, stadium plans..., well you're completely ignoring. Also widely reported that he has written off the vast majority of the club debt?

He's a business man, his main objective will be monetary gain. However, he also knows that in football it's about something different as well - otherwise why leave Arsenal?
Back of a matchbox stuff but yes but you also have to include that we have also got an additional 35m from TV so as yet he still hasn't committed additional funds for player transfers which was his promise.

By your calculations the club has made a profit of 20m. Now I don't think that will leave the club. What I think is that will go on one possibly 2 additional players (after what Koeman said) and additional wages.

It all just screams this is another attempt by Bill Kenwright to hold on to his train set after the protests and the stadium move collapsing.

Now what do you think sounds the most believable. We really are dining at the top table or Bill has pulled a fast one?

I don't buy any fees agreed when it comes to Everton. I want to see them holding the scarf before I believe it.

While I agree with you, the sale of Stones before we have seen any isn't a good look is it?

Well we had seen the fee agreed for Williams mate (I know for a fact that we only ever submitted two bids for him, the last of which was Wednesday or Thursday last week). So maybe we did presume the Stones deal was close, but we had committed the money with that second bid (which must've been what Swansea took as we didn't go in with a third...)

We also did buy Gueye, and there was the compo for RK to S'ton, plus Walsh's compo and both of their respective signing on fees. We can also be almost certain due to the amount of times and from different sources that it was reported that we had pledged big money (£25mil) for Witsel's fee and offer...

Without getting into the other areas, then that's probably what, £15m actually spent before the Stones deal (not loads I know) with an extra 9-12 (depending on what reports we believe) pledged for Williams. (I'll ignore Witsel as it hasn't gone through).

In the grand scheme of things, not loads, no, but then again would you be putting £15mil of your money in like that? (I am aware that you're most likely not a billionaire ;) )...

Okay, so the Stones deal goes through and now we're making our 'big' moves - though yes later than many - myself included, would have liked.

Bolasie and Kone would, as I said depending on who you believe, account for £40-£43mil in transfer fees. Taking off Barnsley's sell-on clause, those two alone equal either exactly as much (give or take) or a few mil more than Stones' sale brought in.

Factor in Gueye, Williams and the rest as I mentioned above to go to Koeman (and his coaching staff) and Walsh and you're already looking at way upwards of £60mil spent - probably more towards £70mil - on improving the coaching set up and squad.

Obviously, that's £70m gross (£30m NET), and isn't accounting for wages or anything like that as the club's revenue stream takes care of that really.

EDIT: Just for the sake of argument, include Witsel - if he'd accepted our deal that would be another £25mil outlay purely on the fee. That was all set to go through weeks ago by many accounts until Juve showed their interest...

Now, I suppose you could say that if we'd have spent that money on Witsel, would we go for Bolasie? But since they're completely different types of players I reckon we'd still be in for both of them. Maybe we wouldn't have got Gueye in, though by the sounds of it that was a deal that had been in the minds of both Walsh and Koeman.

Last edited:
People keep saying this "agreed a deal
With Zenit" but did we?

I am a tad confused, some paper said it maybe....

It was more than 'some paper' matey.

While I believe the Esk and a few others of the ones off places like TEF and the People's Forum who also said that we were in for Witsel, multiple sources in Russia and Italy very much backed up that we had indeed agreed a fee with Zenit that - and I quote 'blew rivals out of the water'. That quote came from the very same journalist that yesterday morning broke the 'Witsel staying at Zenit story'.

Literally one sentence re. transfers.

'Committed additional funds' - okay, remains to be seen for sure. I for one think he has, at least in that we don't have to rely solely on sales to make deals. Should Bolasie and Kone go through we will have a net spend of 20mil so far this summer (give or take).

'Retain key players' - okay, Stones hasn't stayed, but as many have said he wanted off last summer. We've got a great deal for him. We've set a ridiculously high asking price for Lukaku and offered him a new deal. The rest is up to him, and that's only if any club stumps up the cash that we value him at. If not, just like Stones, he won't be going anywhere.

That was it. All this 'promises of millions spent', proved to be the nonsense that we all knew it was - including the people posting it I presume.
Fair points, and agreed in that the statement posted is literally one sentence on re transfers. Given our recent history/net spends in transfer windows that sentence raises hope. Maybe I'm just easily led, but my expectations for this window were raised. I think Connor said in an earlier post that you shouldn't buy a season ticket just on the 'hope' of transfers. No doubts about that. But for the undecided fan, any potential new customers and possible returning fans it must play a part.
Anyway, my main point in the original post was aiming at the point if Lukaku is sold this late in the window (albeit for top dollar) and only then are the funds reinvested in the squad, I'll be disappointed. I'm of the opinion its best to buy first then sell (if its possible). And I really thought this would happen this time round. I'll get over it though. And as you say, it remains to be seen.

It was more than 'some paper' matey.

While I believe the Esk and a few others of the ones off places like TEF and the People's Forum who also said that we were in for Witsel, multiple sources in Russia and Italy very much backed up that we had indeed agreed a fee with Zenit that - and I quote 'blew rivals out of the water'. That quote came from the very same journalist that yesterday morning broke the 'Witsel staying at Zenit story'.

Fair enough mate. That much happening everything is blurring into one huge transfer saga

Well we had seen the fee agreed for Williams mate (I know for a fact that we only ever submitted two bids for him, the last of which was Wednesday or Thursday last week). So maybe we did presume the Stones deal was close, but we had committed the money with that second bid (which must've been what Swansea took as we didn't go in with a third...)

We also did buy Gueye, and there was the compo for RK to S'ton, plus Walsh's compo and both of their respective signing on fees. We can also be almost certain due to the amount of times and from different sources that it was reported that we had pledged big money (£25mil) for Witsel's fee and offer...

Without getting into the other areas, then that's probably what, £15m actually spent before the Stones deal (not loads I know) with an extra 9-12 (depending on what reports we believe) pledged for Williams. (I'll ignore Witsel as it hasn't gone through).

In the grand scheme of things, not loads, no, but then again would you be putting £15mil of your money in like that? (I am aware that you're most likely not a billionaire ;) )...

Okay, so the Stones deal goes through and now we're making our 'big' moves - though yes later than many - myself included, would have liked.

Bolasie and Kone would, as I said depending on who you believe, account for £40-£43mil in transfer fees. Taking off Barnsley's sell-on clause, those two alone equal either exactly as much (give or take) or a few mil more than Stones' sale brought in.

Factor in Gueye, Williams and the rest as I mentioned above to go to Koeman (and his coaching staff) and Walsh and you're already looking at way upwards of £60mil spent - probably more towards £70mil - on improving the coaching set up and squad.

Obviously, that's £70m gross (£30m NET), and isn't accounting for wages or anything like that as the club's revenue stream takes care of that really.
I really doubt hiring Koeman cost as much as you think. Now Martinez has got another job I doubt we will be paying him much if any at all compensation which just leaves the what we had to pay Leicester and Southampton.

Either way these are normal business costs that will be covered by the club's finances not Moshiri.

Fair points, and agreed in that the statement posted is literally one sentence on re transfers. Given our recent history/net spends in transfer windows that sentence raises hope. Maybe I'm just easily led, but my expectations for this window were raised. I think Connor said in an earlier post that you shouldn't buy a season ticket just on the 'hope' of transfers. No doubts about that. But for the undecided fan, any potential new customers and possible returning fans it must play a part.
Anyway, my main point in the original post was aiming at the point if Lukaku is sold this late in the window (albeit for top dollar) and only then are the funds reinvested in the squad, I'll be disappointed. I'm of the opinion its best to buy first then sell (if its possible). And I really thought this would happen this time round. I'll get over it though. And as you say, it remains to be seen.
And what would you think if the Lukaku money gets put in the same place as the Arteta money?

Marty Mcfly -
Obviously I'd be gutted (like alot of us). You never know with Everton mate. Seen stuff like this time and again. I allowed myself to be 'expectant' this time round. So, I'm somewhat annoyed at myself. I still live in hope (of signings)whilst the window is still open. But if we sell Rom during the last couple of days and not 'effectively' replace him and also add more quality, it'll top any previous window we've had. And all on the back of a renewed vigour at the start of the window. Maybe its all getting saved to fund a new stadium!

Marty Mcfly -
Obviously I'd be gutted (like alot of us). You never know with Everton mate. Seen stuff like this time and again. I allowed myself to be 'expectant' this time round. So, I'm somewhat annoyed at myself. I still live in hope (of signings)whilst the window is still open. But if we sell Rom during the last couple of days and not 'effectively' replace him and also add more quality, it'll top any previous window we've had. And all on the back of a renewed vigour at the start of the window. Maybe its all getting saved to fund a new stadium!
It may well be but if that's how we are funding the stadium it won't be some world class stadium on the docks.

I myself I'm still hopeful. The reason it's a big deal is it's not just for this season ahead but it's because of the belief we finally had got rid of a board that had no intention of funding us where we want to go.

Marty Mcfly -

if Rom goes it will be down to the player forcing it and a club meeting his price. we aren't looking to sell, is my point

It may well be but if that's how we are funding the stadium it won't be some world class stadium on the docks.

I myself I'm still hopeful. The reason it's a big deal is it's not just for this season ahead but it's because of the belief we finally had got rid of a board that had no intention of funding us where we want to go.
I think alot of our fans thought that way (and I'd say many still do). I've gone from being really happy at the clubs prospects to just being hopeful again. I'm genuinely optimistic about a new stadium to be fair (especially if on the docks). Time will tell obviously. But, if that comes off things will surely be looking up.
In the immediate and short term I was looking for quality player investment this window. And a maximum of one 'major' sale. If Rom goes too it'll be disappointing in that regard (even though he's by far not yet the finsished article he thinks he is). It just sends out the wrong message.

if Rom goes it will be down to the player forcing it and a club meeting his price. we aren't looking to sell, is my point
I hope you're right mate (we aren't looking to sell). I just think that after Stones going it sends out the wrong message. I don't want us to sell him this late in the day. I like him as a player even though he's still got a long way to go. He has flaws.
But yes, he could still be agitating for a move and thats difficult to manage behind the scenes. Be interesting to see if he's fit for the West Brom game (if he's definitely out v Spurs). I'm already suspicious that he's on his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back