Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Kane was on multiple loans, and often not rated during them either, and has now blossomed into a really good striker.

It certainly won't be easy to replace Lukaku though and think it will require an element of luck to it as well ;)

I think a lot of people's points are that even if we get lucky and replace Rom what's even the point? so we can finish 12th again next season? If we don't replace him we'll be looking at even worse than just 12th and that's simply unacceptable, yet the board and some of our fan base seem happy to keep this utter fraud in a job.

I've already agreed that it was good fortune that Chelsea were willing to release him on loan. Where we disagree is that I believe there is still credit to be given to Martinez both for getting the initial loan over the line and then signing him permanently whereas you appear reluctant to do that.

Luck often plays a part in transfers - Martinez was after Stones and John was driving to Wigan to sign a contract and then Moyes's scouts persuaded him, since he had money left over in his January budget, to make an offer and Stones ended up at Everton and eventually under Martinez!
Martinez cannot be given any credit for anything. When Rom wasn't scoring, we completely overpaid for him and Martinez had made us a laughing stock. Once he proved that he was an absolute bargain at the price we paid then it was sheer luck Martinez bought him.

I think a lot of people's points are that even if we get lucky and replace Rom what's even the point? so we can finish 12th again next season? If we don't replace him we'll be looking at even worse than just 12th and that's simply unacceptable, yet the board and some of our fan base seem happy to keep this utter fraud in a job.
There is always a point in getting in a good striker in whatever the manager - not least because they can make the difference between being relegated or not!

But isn't inflammatory comments like "some of our fan base seen happy to keep this utter fraud in a job " more about Martinez rather than anything remotely to do with Lukaku and therefore more relevant in the manager thread?

* puts on tin foil hat *

After Rom's recent comments about the disappointment of the team's performances this season, is anyone else wondering if this is Lukaku's way of issuing an ultimatum to the club, "it's either Martinez or me". I appreciate in the past that the pair seemed to have a great working relationship (Arsenal goal celebration etc), but maybe the past two seasons have worn him down.

* takes off tin foil hat *

* puts on tin foil hat *

After Rom's recent comments about the disappointment of the team's performances this season, is anyone else wondering if this is Lukaku's way of issuing an ultimatum to the club, "it's either Martinez or me". I appreciate in the past that the pair seemed to have a great working relationship (Arsenal goal celebration etc), but maybe the past two seasons have worn him down.

* takes off tin foil hat *

No mate, Lukaku is over the moon, hes scored 20+ goals and his team are 12th, he couldnt be happier seeing all his National team mates challenging for Titles and playing in Europe, as a young lad in Belgium he always hoped that 1 day he could savour the delights of the bottom half of the premier league season after season.

That's the thing isn't it. He's away on international duty, the best player for Belgium, yet playing in a massively under-performing team when he knows he could go virtually anywhere he wants. Must be hugely frustrating for him and you can't blame him for having greater ambitions than 12th in the league and losing virtually every home game, despite scoring bagfuls of goals.

No mate, Lukaku is over the moon, hes scored 20+ goals and his team are 12th, he couldnt be happier seeing all his National team mates challenging for Titles and playing in Europe, as a young lad in Belgium he always hoped that 1 day he could savour the delights of the bottom half of the premier league season after season.
Courtois is itching to get out of Chelsea and it is less than 12 months since they won the league - bloody Belgiums!

Anyhow both you and I agree several months ago that he'd look to get out this summer, the league form makes it easier I think but tbh think even if we'd been in say West Ham's position currently he'd (and most especially his agent) would still be making noises.

really? So players are not allowed an opinion? Unless they're back in England ...
Did he say anything bad regarding Everton?
No!
They asked him if he was leaving Everton this summer. And he answered maybe. Said he's turnign 23 this summer and he hasn't played CL yet. He said he wants to compete with the best.

What has he said that he should be fined for?

It's disrespectful to his current employer to suggest that he can break his contract and leave.
I can fully understand his desire to test himself in the CL, that is not the point, he's on international duty, so his domestic situation is not relevant.
And I would say exactly the same if Ross said anything similar when being interviewed about England or RFM when being interviewed about Argentina or anybody else.

Bottom line is the media just love to stir the 5h1t and players, of all clubs, fall for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back