Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Martinez won the FA Cup with Wigan.

Koeman was moved on from 3 clubs in 3 seasons. Benfica, PSV and Valencia.

Whatever way we spin it - that's not a good sign.
You could argue that whatever he did in those spells prior to Southampton alerted the attention of the widely praised Les Reed.

I'm not in the mood to stick up for Koeman, but something must have been seen in him to have been given that job when Southampton were shedding 'star' players left, right and centre.

Also when rating his time at his previous clubs I'd suggest what he did at Southampton was more worthy of praise then what he did at Benfica/Valencia was worthy of criticism.

Only because the majority of us saw what was happening at Southampton yet by all accounts Valencia were a mess before and a mess long after.

I don't think he'll get sacked before he's had at least another window - and nor should he be.

Mosh won't panic

If we don't register any wins in our next 5 then we're in a relegation scrap, and to be honest that's unacceptable. Does Mosh back a manager who's left us fighting relegation? I strongly doubt it.

Anything above relegation fight was tolerable this season. If he lands us in one he deserves to go. It's a huge month coming up. And it's his responsibility to turn it round. I'd love nothing more than for us to shock the life out of me with 4 or 6 points in the incoming week.

He needs time. He is working some of the most unprofessional players I've seen in years. They don't care. They downed tools under Martinez and some of them just can't seem to pick them back up again.

James McCarthy would rather leave and go to Newcastle in the Championship than fight for his place here.

I don't think we will see the best of Koeman till next season.

Even at the start of the season when we were winning games, Koeman said that we still were not at the right level or playing well enough. He has warned us for long enough. If anything the club let him down in the summer with the lack of signings. I expect a huge change in playing staff over the next two windows. A lot of the old guard, Jagielka etc will be shown the door too.

You can expect miracles, just look at United and they've spent [Poor language removed] loads. Stop demanding instant success and just give it time.

Problem being, he's shown nothing to give people that reassurance he could be a progressive manager from Martinez.

All he had to do was shore up the defence and up the work rate but keep Martinez's attacking style.

Instead he's completely removed that attacking style and has technically sound footballers playing Sunday league route one football.

We had our best start ever mate, so they haven't all been dreadful.

We are on an awful run, and it has to have taught Koeman lessons.

I'm worried that he hasn't made simple changes (like switching the system) that has improved us, but equally so 15 games is not enough time.

We're 9th, not 19th. A new manager isn't getting sacked for that, with this squad (that has finished 11th two years running).

That's not true Toff even the good start wasn't particularly spectacular, the football wasn't good but people were ok because points were being picked up. Now the points are not being picked up and the football is diabolical, of course fans are uneasy.

That's like the tories blaming labour for the continuing austerity measures after being in government for 7 years.

He inherited a squad that really should be pressing for top 6 at the very least. We've struggled to break down each and every team we've played so far. That's just not good enough. We have yet to dominate a side for 45 minutes, nevermind a whole match. And the style of play's essentially the same in every match.

Our defence is abysmal (I thought koeman was gonna sort it, what with him being the defensive maestro he was as a player?!) and our attacking play the same.

£12m on Williams. A 32 year-old. We're no better for him, it appears. But then there's £28m on bolasie. If that wasn't enough to get the alarm bells ringing I don't know what is. I have very, very little faith in koeman, and fear he won't bring in the necessary reinforcements, especially at the correct (Not bolasie-type) amount. Not that they'll clamouring to sign in any case...

Williams will come good. He's had one very bad game for us (yesterday) - other than that I can't think of any bad performance he has put in. He does need a new partner who can compliment him, that much is evident.

Bolasie - £23mil (if it gets to £28m we'll all be happy as we'll have won the friggin league) - our most productive attacker by far, now injured.

We're all creaming ourselves over Van Dijk. Who was the manager that actually brought him to the league?

That's not true Toff even the good start wasn't particularly spectacular, the football wasn't good but people were ok because points were being picked up. Now the points are not being picked up and the football is diabolical, of course fans are uneasy.

I don't care how we play - we have had two years of 'nice' football that got us nowhere.

Winning football is good football. End of.

And understandably fans are uneasy, but that doesn't mean the manager is getting sacked. And rightly so.

I don't care how we play - we have had two years of 'nice' football that got us nowhere.

And understandably fans are uneasy, but that doesn't mean the manager is getting sacked. And rightly so.

But we aren't winning toff ffs, you see how this works.

We're all creaming ourselves over Van Dijk.

Speak for yerself. VvD seems to be flavour of the month at the moment. It was the other kone at sunderland the other day. And they'll cost dollar, too. Would they be money well spent, given that they're hardly likely to put us further up the league, given koeman's rigidity?

Valencia and Benfica were going on for a decade ago mate...

He did very well with Southampton - not 'ok'

To improve on what Poch built there in his first two years in English football? Give him time.

He's got a lot of improvements to make, but at this stage I find it utterly ridiculous how people are jumping on his back, given the tosh we've had to put up with before...

..I have to say I agree about giving him time. I'm critical of the team and the manager for not getting the best out of what he has but his 'ruthless' approach might work in the long term. Only time will tell.

Almost got us to two cup finals and a European cup quarter final

You could argue that whatever he did in those spells prior to Southampton alerted the attention of the widely praised Les Reed.

I'm not in the mood to stick up for Koeman, but something must have been seen in him to have been given that job when Southampton were shedding 'star' players left, right and centre.

Also when rating his time at his previous clubs I'd suggest what he did at Southampton was more worthy of praise then what he did at Benfica/Valencia was worthy of criticism.

Only because the majority of us saw what was happening at Southampton yet by all accounts Valencia were a mess before and a mess long after.

A reminder then that Les Reed pushed Koeman - he wouldn't allow him to run out his contract there. Koeman's own words.

Seems he was brought in to steady the ship at Southampton? He did that well.

What has he been brought in to do here? Make us a more attractive proposition than Martinez?

Has Koeman ever been at a club that has money to spend? And spent it well?

He's here short term, true to his football nomadic management career to date... he won't show Everton any loyalty, and Everton would do well to have the same attitude to Koeman.

Starting to get a bit worried about him, I know its early days but, we don't look like we have any direction to are play or organization, and his game management looks a bit suspect, we were crying out for a change at 1-1 yesterday left it till to late
The players look like the have the weight of the world on them, like they arnt enjoying being here.
He has a big job on his hands , I have said for years we lack aggression and leadership and age of the squad isn't helping,
Needs couple of windows to get it right .
Is he the right man , not sure, might just be me or his personality but his passion for the club just didn't seem to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back