Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need 'top' players. We aren't in the markets for Ronaldos and Messis, or even 'top end' Premier League players. Let's think outside of the box and get proven players in from the Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, etc. Give them a tasty contract and sell the vision of the club and dream of playing in the best division in the world to them. If the money is there then it shouldn't be too hard.
i just wish we could sign a 31 year old christophe dugarry, who's the modern day equivalent

He wasn't given minus funds in the summer, we got a lot of players/clubs rejecting us that's why we never spent as much as we would of liked.
I do not believe that for one second. First transfer window and we failed to spend massive money because "clubs rejected us"? Come on! What's with the second-choice players, third choice? Surely no professional football club would be so stupid as to put all of their eggs into one basket. In the end, as most level-headed fans suspected, it turned out to be sell to buy, and nobody can argue against that.

Let's think outside of the box and get proven players in from the Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, etc. Give them a tasty contract and sell the vision of the club and dream of playing in the best division in the world to them. If the money is there then it shouldn't be too hard.

I hate to agree with Butters on anything, but this really. Every time I hear us linked with some lad who can't get a game with Man United, I groan. We should be creative in our search, be looking at Europe and not just the teams around us and, most importantly, looking for lads who are already playing week in, week out for their clubs

I hate to agree with Butters on anything, but this really. Every time I hear us linked with some lad who can't get a game with Man United, I groan. We should be creative in our search, be looking at Europe and not just the teams around us and, most importantly, looking for lads who are already playing week in, week out for their clubs
yeah but that takes time, lets just get walshy to drive down the motorway and see whats about yeah

If things do not start to improve under Ronald, Eddie Howe would be the most suitable replacement. Seems to know what's needed to get his players up for it.

@The Esk are you aware of any of the contractual implications of terminating koemans contract - I.e are we potentially in the same situation as with Martinez - contract to be paid in full in the event of dismissal? If yes that would certainly go some way to explain his apparent lack of interest in motivating/coaching the team?

I do not believe that for one second. First transfer window and we failed to spend massive money because "clubs rejected us"? Come on! What's with the second-choice players, third choice? Surely no professional football club would be so stupid as to put all of their eggs into one basket. In the end, as most level-headed fans suspected, it turned out to be sell to buy, and nobody can argue against that.
Do you believe the club wanted to sell Stones I don't. He wanted away from us for 12 months, it was inevitable it was going to happen just like Lukaku moving on is. When you have players that are getting checked out by City/Pep and the quality they have there with arguably the best manager in the world do you blame him?
Moshiri has publicly said that we put a massive offer in for Koulibaly in the summer but Napoli rejected, do you think that's not the truth?
Just because we haven't signed 'big' yet doesn't mean we are not trying.
I don't believe for 1 minute that Moshiri has persuaded Koeman to leave Southampton, pay compensation and offer him a 6m salary then tell him there is no substantial amount of funds for him to build a team.. No Chance!!

@The Esk are you aware of any of the contractual implications of terminating koemans contract - I.e are we potentially in the same situation as with Martinez - contract to be paid in full in the event of dismissal? If yes that would certainly go some way to explain his apparent lack of interest in motivating/coaching the team?

At least we only ever gave him a 3 year contract. No one - even the best manager in the world - should be given more than this because of the cost of terminating when it - almost inevitably - goes pear shaped.

Not that I'm in favour of getting rid of him yet . He has another year IMO (unless we look like getting relegated when it's Unsworth to the rescue...)

Reactions: JLW
At least we only ever gave him a 3 year contract. No one - even the best manager in the world - should be given more than this because of the cost of terminating when it - almost inevitably - goes pear shaped.

Not that I'm in favour of getting rid of him yet . He has another year IMO (unless we look like getting relegated when it's Unsworth to the rescue...)
My point is that paying an entire contract in full in the event of dismissal is far from a standard clause even in the premier league - Moyes only got a years pay from Utd for example. I fear we have dropped a clanger here and in particular making the contract terms identical to martinez's.

he doesn't even know when the next board meeting is, never mind Koemans contract

Still laughing at that clown super glued to his seat there yesterday.

£6m to sit on his arse. I think the only exercise that feller got all day was putting his golf clubs in the boot ready for today's back nine.
Can understand where those noises come from, but that's not the benchmark of a good manager imo. Ferguson was barely seen on his touchline as he was sure his team is prepared and he trust his players to do their job on the field. You can give them a simple instructions (like "don't let them score", "get stuck in", "push up" etc.) but that's not the time to draw a plan how to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back