Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags, Barkley and Kev were Moyes signings toff?

Yes I'm not saying they weren't. But did we play with any intensity under Moyes?

Not really. We were a build from the back team who sat back and played mostly on the counter.

They've proved it in the last 10 games that they can play in fits and starts.

Jags is past his best, probably why he's hit a rough patch. That happens with age, and it's understandable. He was in his prime when Martinez arrived.

Kev has all the attributes but never seems to use them all at once or to any real, consistent effect. The same under three managers.

Barkley came through under Moyes but played what, three games? He had his breakthrough with Martinez.

The run was actually one win (4-0 over Arsenal) out of 8, with 6 defeats in total.

They then won 10 of their remaining 18 games, losing three and drawing three.

After the 1-1 draw at Goodison (where I remember afterwards as I covered the reaction that Koeman was visibly fuming that his side hadn't been clinical enough to win - which they should have done by far), they won their last four games.

The one caveat I would say is that Koeman instigated S'ton's good run to the end of the season by changing things around with his team selection - I'd like him to do the same with us now...
I think one of the key things (if I remember correctly) was he dropped Stekelenburg for the returning Forster. Thankfully for us, he then brought the keeper who'd had the 10 game losing streak with him, so he could do it all over again.

The run was actually one win (4-0 over Arsenal) out of 8, with 6 defeats in total.

They then won 10 of their remaining 18 games, losing three and drawing three.

After the 1-1 draw at Goodison (where I remember afterwards as I covered the reaction that Koeman was visibly fuming that his side hadn't been clinical enough to win - which they should have done by far), they won their last four games.

The one caveat I would say is that Koeman instigated S'ton's good run to the end of the season by changing things around with his team selection - I'd like him to do the same with us now...

I wish he had shown some nous and done that already :(

Yes I'm not saying they weren't. But did we play with any intensity under Moyes?

Not really. We were a build from the back team who sat back and played mostly on the counter.

They've proved it in the last 10 games that they can play in fits and starts.

Jags is past his best, probably why he's hit a rough patch. That happens with age, and it's understandable. He was in his prime when Martinez arrived.

Kev has all the attributes but never seems to use them all at once or to any real, consistent effect. The same under three managers.

Barkley came through under Moyes but played what, three games? He had his breakthrough with Martinez.

Changing the goalposts again too suit your defense. ok. Point stands Mirallas, Jags, Barkley and more who are still playing were here under Moyes and they all showed much more fight and desire.

But Ok blame Martinez.

I think one of the key things (if I remember correctly) was he dropped Stekelenburg for the returning Forster. Thankfully for us, he then brought the keeper who'd had the 10 game losing streak with him, so he could do it all over again.

Yeh Forster came back in through injury but he also switched to a 3-5-2.

He had a back three of Fonte, VVD and Bertrand, with wingbacks and a really energetic midfield (we don't have that), with an equally as energetic forward line of Long and Mane either side of Pelle, who could bring the ball down and hold it up in the event they needed to go long.

Basically, a bit of everything.

The one thing that impressed me is that after something like 10 games unbeaten, they lost two on the trot, so he switched back to a 4-2-3-1, and they had a brilliant run to the end of the season.

I'd like to see that from him now, but I can understand his limited (i.e. - all very similar players) options (and they are limited, Davies ain't gonna solve our issues despite the clamour for him to play as an example) may be effecting his thinking.

Changing the goalposts again too suit your defense. ok. Point stands Mirallas, Jags, Barkley and more who are still playing were here under Moyes and they all showed much more fight and desire.

But Ok blame Martinez.

Did they?

Jagielka, yes.

Mirallas was here for a season, he was out with an injury for half of it, while Moyes was here. Looked at his best in RM's first season.

Barkley played three times under Moyes. Three.

I'm not blaming Martinez for Koeman's mistakes. I'm not even actually having a go at Bobby.

I'm stating the simple fact that Martinez signed players for his system. He wasn't thinking he'd get sacked, he was sure it would work, but it didn't and that style (or attempted style) took us backwards. Our squad is incredibly inbalanced, with loads of 'safe' central midfielders who were good at retaining and recycling possession. Now they're pretty much useless as most teams figured us out so quickly in the last two seasons.

So, give Koeman the chance to bring players in that suit his style (like he did at S'ton) before jumping on his back about everything or saying I'm moving the goalposts - I ain't.

Did they?

Jagielka, yes.

Mirallas was here for a season, he was out with an injury for half of it, while Moyes was here. Looked at his best in RM's first season.

I'm not blaming Martinez for Koeman's mistakes. I'm not even actually having a go at Bobby.

I'm stating the simple fact that Martinez signed players for his system. He wasn't thinking he'd get sacked, he was sure it would work, but it didn't and that style (or attempted style) took us backwards. Our squad is incredibly inbalanced, with loads of 'safe' central midfielders who were good at retaining and recycling possession. Now they're pretty much useless as most teams figured us out so quickly in the last two seasons.

So, give Koeman the chance to bring players in that suit his style (like he did at S'ton) before jumping on his back about everything or saying I'm moving the goalposts - I ain't.

They were still here for god sake.

Jags, Barkley, Baines, Coleman, Mirallas all here under Moyes, everyone of them.

@BlueToff trying to debate his point.
2778412-1682487996-85217.jpg

Did they?

Jagielka, yes.

You were defending how successful our transfer window was at the end of August. Think you gave it an 8/10 score. People tried telling you we needed an awful lot more, and the window was a complete flop but you wouldn't have it.
Now the squad is 'incredibly unbalanced'...

They were still here for god sake.

Jags, Barkley, Baines, Coleman, Mirallas all here under Moyes, everyone of them.

Yes. I get that.

I didn't say otherwise.

But on the whole this squad is now adept at playing Martinez's way (after three years of coaching).

That way, even though it was based on the best intentions, took us backwards, and it seems that many of them can't adapt to something new.

This is proven by the simple fact that the only players who have looked capable of playing at a high intensity with a shred of consistency are the ones that Koeman signed in the summer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back