Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were defending how successful our transfer window was at the end of August. Think you gave it an 8/10 score. People tried telling you we needed an awful lot more, and the window was a complete flop but you wouldn't have it.
Now the squad is 'incredibly unbalanced'...

I think I gave it a 7/10.

At the time I believed we had made four good acquisitions, plus a wildcard in Valencia.

I said we could have done much better but based on the players we brought in it looked positive.

I stand by that - the players we brought in have been decent, but we should have done much better. I also stand by the fact that the squad is still incredibly imbalanced - I didn't think that would change in one window though, and anyone who did was deluded.

I think Eddie Howe is a good manager. Wouldn't be against him coming here at some point at all.
At some point in the future? Maybe but for me it's far to much to far to quickly and I'm not convinced he'd be good enough (personally I don't think he ever will) at this stage of his career for such a step up from Bournemouth to us. The expectations are as different as day and night.

At some point in the future? Maybe but for me it's far to much to far to quickly and I'm not convinced he'd be good enough (personally I don't think he ever will) at this stage of his career for such a step up from Bournemouth to us. The expectations are as different as day and night.

Kind of like from Wigan to Everton...

I like Howe - like how I liked Martinez at Wigan.

That's possibly not a great sign...

I think I gave it a 7/10.

At the time I believed we had made four good acquisitions, plus a wildcard in Valencia.

I said we could have done much better but based on the players we brought in it looked positive.

I stand by that - the players we brought in have been decent, but we should have done much better. I also stand by the fact that the squad is still incredibly imbalanced - I didn't think that would change in one window though, and anyone who did was deluded.

Call me crazy, but with talk of a hundred million transfer kitty, I wasn't really expecting an incredibly imbalanced squad at the end of it. The window was nowhere near good enough, and your analysis was based on you overrating the current relegation fodder of a squad.

Call me crazy, but with talk of a hundred million transfer kitty, I wasn't really expecting an incredibly imbalanced squad at the end of it. The window was nowhere near good enough, and your analysis was based on you overrating the current relegation fodder of a squad.

Possibly, yes.

I didn't think it would need too much work, based on what we had seen at the time, to get them to adapt.

I'll happily admit I was wrong.

I think Koeman's thinking might've been the same as well...

Yes. I get that.

I didn't say otherwise.

But on the whole this squad is now adept at playing Martinez's way (after three years of coaching).

That way, even though it was based on the best intentions, took us backwards, and it seems that many of them can't adapt to something new.

This is proven by the simple fact that the only players who have looked capable of playing at a high intensity with a shred of consistency are the ones that Koeman signed in the summer...

I'm not having that a professional athlete can't press for 90. I haven't played for 15years and I could still listen to a managers instructions taking the field, yet somehow, he can't get his message across. That has to boil down to the manager.

What 'top' youngsters haven't been integrated already?

Davies is on the verge I'd say - Koeman sees him train with the first team every day and hasn't deemed him ready to come into a side low on confidence.

Holgate has been in the 18 or starting 11 every game this season.

The other youngsters aren't anywhere close to being ready.

Davies should of had a lot more game time. For him to come on against Chelsea, put every senior plater to shame only to not even make the bench on the 4 or 5 games since is a disgrace... as was dropping Holgate (who was arguably our best defender earlier in the season) for Coleman as soon as he regained fitness.

He is doing the opposite of integrating the youngster into the first team by playing Coleman, Cleverly and McCarthy ahead of them.

Eddie Howe is 10x the manager Martinez is

This is my thinking too, but I don't think he'd be the right person just yet.

I'm basing that on the last managerial move he made, from Bournemouth to Burnley.

He's young, so I hope it's not a case that he has the McClaren syndrome of only being decent at one club.

Koeman is known to be a cold manager, but his body language vs Watford spoke volumes. I and many others do not like the lack of animation on the touchline, but I think the reason for it is that he has in a way given up on the players.

Again, this is at the heart at some of the debates regarding who is most to blame for our current predicament. In my opinion there are only a handful of players that don't need binning. To reiterate an earlier point, I think 7 of the 11 starting vs Watford were players starting two, three seasons ago, 10 of the 18 were squad members, and the rest were signed since 2014 and are not good enough.

Now, even if you had won the league last year you would need 3/4 quality first team additions to the squad, on the basis that every team in the league are doing the same or more to catch up. So with this in mind, on the evidence that we've achieved nothing and gone backwards the last three seasons, how is it that the majority of our squad and first 11 is still full of players who are evidently not the ones to seriously challenge for European places, because hardly any of them have actually got any better. Look at the top teams in the league, most will have squads unrecognisable to those in 2013, an the handful that still make their squads are of top quality and proven winners.

I'm not letting Koeman off the hook, far from it. And I hate to sound like im blaming previos managers. Its recruitment that been the major failing, simply put we've been left behind. But I'd like to see Koeman helm a squad that is not full of players who never got us to where we want to be.

Davies should of had a lot more game time. For him to come on against Chelsea, put every senior plater to shame only to not even make the bench on the 4 or 5 games since is a disgrace... as was dropping Holgate (who was arguably our best defender earlier in the season) for Coleman as soon as he regained fitness.

He is doing the opposite of integrating the youngster into the first team by playing Coleman, Cleverly and McCarthy ahead of them.

I agree - though Seamus is our first choice and imo you don't lose your place due to injury.

Holgate is a centre-half who will be a full-back, but he made mistakes and still has a lot to learn.

I hope he gets more gametime. Same with Davies.

But I think it's pretty clear Koeman wanted to look at the experienced first-teamers and what they had to offer first. Which is a completely logical thing to do.

Now, if Davies comes into the team, he'll be hyped by our fans so much (and don't even argue he wouldn't be) that he couldn't possibly live up to expectations when he inevitably comes in and we get beat 3-0 or something.

It's a lot easier to bring youngsters into a team playing with confidence.

That being said, I do think he should be more involved, but that's based on a few U23 games I've seen and his minutes on the pitch for the first team. I don't see him day in day out.

He has a lot of "past it" and "not up for it" squad. Jags and Baines are done, sadly; I love the bones of the pair of them but the mistakes are costing us. Stek and Robles are both backup keepers at best. Barkley, Kev, Del and Lennon are massively inconsitent, Mori is an accident waiting to happen. Lukaku is Lukaku, cracking goalscorer but if he can't be arsed then everyone knows it.

Bolassie and Williams have contributed to the squad but both have shown massive mistakes in their game over the past couple of weeks.

That being said, the tactics of hoofing it long to a striker who has the control of bag of cement is not helping matters either. Changing personnel and formation yet the same "hit and hope" system seems to be applied. This is at Koemans door and what I find most strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back