Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read through this thread today and wondered how knee jerking crazy some of the posters on here are. Just to put things into perspective. Apparently, the average tenure of a PL manager is just over 2 years (2.36.. currently). That is four, maybe even five transfer windows at best, with just two chances of winning a cup, or rising in the PL to.... (enter your glass ceiling number here). The point is, all this talk of replacing RK, and wishing the return of Roberto or Moyes, is not just premature, it's grossly immature.
Keep your heads on, people. We all knew this was not going to be an instant fix, especially after the disappointingly soggy firework that was the summer transfer window. Just accept this season is going to be rough. Support your team, put up a fight and stop looking for some mythical managerial genius to come in and solve everything overnight. Remember, not too long ago, people on here were having wet dreams about Mourinho being our manager. Called him, "the best in the world" etc. Take a look at the league table and,( post massive transfer business), see where he ranks right now.
Nothing wrong with offering criticism to our club/manager/players, they all need a massive kick in the glutus maximus. Just be realistic. Yes, right now, they all stink, but hold off with the knee jerking calls of sacking, replacing and especially the crazy "going back to the way things were". As I shout at the players every game, "Move forward!"
Good post.
The average tenure figure is, of course, grossly distorted by Arsene Wenger's 20 years or so at Arsenal. If you exclude Wenger, the average is probably less than two years.
I think now is the right time to criticise Koeman, given that we have won one and drawn four of our last eleven games. He's had 17 games plus a transfer window and a pre-season to get his act together and has done nothing to indicate that he is capable of rebuilding. Of course, it's too early to start talking about sacking him but I am fearful that if he can't begin to earn his enormous salary by the end of the season then we could be in real trouble. That's because I care about Everton and have no loyalty to any mercenary manager just passing through on his way to Barcelona or oblivion. But I REALLY hope he can turn it around.

Very valid point made here i think in the Liverpool Echo's comments section.

A giant of world football with an excellent managerial record is struggling in his first 6 months after the club dropped the ball in signing several players he wanted. He's left with the underachieving players from a rubbish managers former project. Is it possible Ronald knows what he's doing and part of the purpose of telling the world his players aren't physically strong is a method of getting them to prove him wrong in the right way? There's no point you saying we should press like Barcelona or play the kids, and man in the pub will say the exact same easy fix. Give Ronald time, and judge him on his results with his own squad.

The other thing I meant to add before was that normally, if you put a bunch of high level sports people or other professionals under the spotlight and a bit of pressure - as Koeman has- you would expect the leaders to emerge and the people with a point to prove to stand up and be counted.

But unfortunately this bunch of talentless bottlers currently occupying the Royal Blue have form for doing just the opposite - the minute there is the slightest pressure on their shoulders and an occasion to rise to, they have consistently failed and continue to do so. Apparently when Mourinho first arrived at Chelsea, he said to the squad, 'there are only 3 Champions in this room - me, Ricardo Carvallo and Ferreira. The rest of you are not Champion quality.' He provoked the response out of Gallas, Terry, Lampard, Gudjohnson and Co.

This week with Arsenal (televised) and Liverpoo (likewise), both under the lights at Goodison, there is nowhere for the current players to hide. Let's see if we get a response or not at home to Arsenal tomorrow and Der Redmen on Monday.

The eternal Everton optimist in me hopes that either we'll actually get our players showing a bit of pride in themselves, fighting for the shirt and their place, and giving a paying public their money's worth.

Or (more likely) perhaps this week is going to be massive short term pain for longer term gain. Sometimes instead of flogging a dead horse, you had better just go and get yourself a new horse.

If a Utd fan said he thought they should sack Jose you'd probably tell him to wise up and give him time after successive poor managers. Same here with Ron. This time next season is when we'll see if he's for us or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back