Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's talk about Koeman (in the proper place; where it should be) ...

Do the players listen to Koeman? I suspect they might have at one point ...

Ronald Koeman insists it is ‘crazy’ to consider Everton title contenders
• Merseyside club cannot ‘do a Leicester’, says manager after good start
• Koeman confirms Everton want to extend Romelu Lukaku’s contract
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...is-crazy-to-consider-everton-title-contenders

Maybe they believed him?

We CANNOT win the league and we WANT to extend Rom's contract. Such certainty about what we can't do and such meek hope directed toward the hope of NOT losing a player we already signed.

Having a manager you can believe in is a positive and having a no-nonsense straight talking manager is a positive right?

"Oh c'mon mate saying you can't win the league and being able to beat Watford are two widely different things ... players shouldn't get discouraged by that."

Should, should, should ... you'll drive a should shaped car off a should shaped bridge because it shouldn't be a problem.

Reality is all that matters ... the fact "lazy millenials" (or insert your preferred disrespectful term here) want to win the league like Leicester did -- and to imagine actually thinking it could actually happen ... a whole 0 years after it actually happened! -- and the fact Koeman talking like that will probably demotivate them ... well it shouldn't! I mean back in my day!

I have yet to see anything from Ronald Koeman for me to rate him anywhere above average as a manager.

I don't know as much about football as him but I know people and I suspect he sucks at managing people. A lot.

Did you see the players walking in before the game this weekend? They looked miserable.

"Oh c'mon mate it's just their commute ... you're reading too much into it."

Jags had a smile on his face to be fair ... of course he wasn't playing.

There is a certain type of person in the world who gets uncomfortable with big ideas, elaborate displays and grand ambitions. Get a solid job (maybe with the government!) and settle down and save and nest and act like "everyone else." They don't like stats (especially not when they disprove an old fashioned group think "fact" -- I mean why would they like stats when that's mostly how they see them, as flashlights exposing their failures: when *science* is telling them that the way they raised their kids was wrong, what they thought about gays and blacks is wrong, what they think about the climate is wrong and what they think about the economy is wrong too). They like to say things like "end of" and "proper" and they have a set of rules (which exist only in their collective heads) about how people "should" behave.

"He HAS been shouting at them for some time now. Is shouting louder your only idea or just your best?"

This concept of what people "should" do is important to them and it unconsciously guides their decision making more often than reality. They interact via masks and personas -- they LOVE small talk and they are good at making it feel like you're connecting with them when in fact you are having surface platitudinous exchanges which contain no new information. If they started reading this and haven't already stopped reading and posted a snarky/trolly comment they probably did right after "platitudinous."

They tend to be old but they aren't always. They think old. These people (due to their crippling insecurity) force their consciously developed personalities (therefore safe) and identities into the collective to the point where personality traits (which should be allowed to develop based on whatever combo of nature/nurture is unique to each person depending on millions of factors ... you know ... "personal") are taught as "the right way to behave" or "the wrong way to behave." Boys CANNOT cry.

They get paid to play football and give 100% no matter what like a professional. We'd all kill to make what they make and this is how they perform?

A picture of the squad all on their phones in the locker room brings unanimous contempt in the Echo comments: the lazy millennial players are the problem. Immigrants too a lot of them let's face it! They shouldn't be on their phones!

Dear anonymous Echo commenters: Just keep in mind I drive by you in my luxury car and say the same things about why you aren't digging the ditch faster. You love Koeman's straight talk ... so dig my ditch faster lazy bones you don't get paid to sit around gabbing like hens. Doesn't that make you want to work faster and better? What's that? ... Lukaku's hold up play you say? ... listen I have to go I have a swan orgy to attend.

Footballers are the problem! And Kanye West of course. *I'm* the problem! Your actual real life boss (and his boss) don't do anything to help you. Baines goes to hospitals all the time! I don't ... disgusting there you might catch something ... besides it's terribly depressing.

Of course the world doesn't give a crap what you think *should* happen.

So when you get rid of a phenomenal manager who started to rub everyone the wrong way because he promised the moon and delivered one trip to space about halfway to the moon and then two exploded spaceships ... and get in a proper manager ... a real just proper pedigree top notch looks like a duck and quacks like a duck manager ... well the players should respond ... why would have to be from a completely different mindset not to think he's a great manager for whom to play right?

Old men can continue to hire managers THEY would like to work for and get sub-optimal results or they can hire managers for whom THEIR EMPLOYEES would like to work. One of the secrets of business is they need you more than you need them (there are millions of places for you to work but for the owner there is really only one) ... you don't believe that because you don't value yourself as highly as I value myself. That allows me to gain advantage over you as the employer.

Footballers understand how business works way better than most football fans do (well ... their agents do but what does it matter who had the idea).

Their unions haven't been crushed.

Their wages haven't fallen.

Their entire class isn't shrinking.

Footballers don't need to think more like you .... slaving yourself to death living cheque to cheque.

YOU need to think more like a footballer.

I can't say much more about Koeman. It's "early" ... but I'm not on the fence.

I'm not giving him a fair chance.

Koeman out! I can FEEL it in my gut boys ... gotta trust my gut lids.

... and ... you know ... everything that's happened thus far.

I didn't want Moyes fired -- didn't think anyone could do significantly better with BK and Elstone in charge to justify the risk of hiring someone who would have been worse at managing the low (no) resources provided.

I would have fired Martinez if BK was still in charge; with Mosh coming in I would have given him another year. When you have the finished article you can have managers like Koeman (in fact they are arguably better suited); when you need to sometimes make lemons out of lemonade you don't want the person in charge constantly pointing out that even if you manage to make the lemonade (which you probably can't) it will never taste as good as the lemonade they sell across the street. That doesn't motivate people ... even if it's true ... why would just stating a true fact matter? It shouldn't!

Koeman is the wrong manager for this Everton. Even if he's better than I think ... I still think he's the wrong *type* of manager for this time in Everton's history.

I admit shouting out NSNO started to grate during BK's tenure -- I mean it actually hurts you to always strive for perfection when so obviously disadvantaged. The underdog doesn't win the war by charging 100% of their forces directly into the enemy's main defenses.

Moshiri was supposed to signal a return to NSNO and instead we have a manager who rivals Moyes for dour cynicism.

Knife to a gunfight mentality.

Top ten is an amazing achievement mentality.

NSNO. I'm not here to argue; that's our motto.

Good post, well put together argument.

But, the original point comes back to these players simply not been up to task.

These are players that Martinez brought in, Moyes brought in and, also - to a much lesser extent (simply as they haven't been here as long) - two of the Koeman additions (Stek and probs Valencia).

They're a bunch of bottlers. It doesn't get away from the fact Koeman's made mistake but the squad is saturated with crap to average players who all seem to play the same position.

Give him time to get his own players in. He maybe isn't making the very best out of this squad, though actually on paper I'd say we're the 7th-10th best place in this league. It isn't good enough and needs improving/

Total over-reaction though. You can't spout NSNO, but in the same breath want a manager who has been here 15 games sacked because he "can't motivate" a bunch of players that three successive managers have struggled to get a winning tune out of, and in total a club that hasn't won a thing in 21 years.

After three years of Martinez telling the world this squad is title material, the realism of somebody saying we aren't is now hurting people? If the players are so mentally fragile that they're effected by it, then it just goes back to prove my point as well...

I like most of his interviews, it would be nice if he could just give us a performance and result.

Watford was the first time I was baffled by his selection.

But he talks sense. Which is a nice break from the nonsense.

He isn't getting the sack because we're in ninth. Anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded (and I know me and @Tree13 joked about it) but yeh, bloody entitled as well.

If we're in a stick later in the season and he's brought players in, maybe he would go.

But for the time being get behind the new manager and just look at the bigger picture (not directed at you this btw, but in general).

Good post, well put together argument.

But, the original point comes back to these players simply not been up to task.

These are players that Martinez brought in, Moyes brought in and, also - to a much lesser extent (simply as they haven't been here as long) - two of the Koeman additions (Stek and probs Valencia).

They're a bunch of bottlers. It doesn't get away from the fact Koeman's made mistake but the squad is saturated with crap to average players who all seem to play the same position.

Give him time to get his own players in. He maybe isn't making the very best out of this squad, though actually on paper I'd say we're the 7th-10th best place in this league. It isn't good enough and needs improving/

Total over-reaction though. You can't spout NSNO, but in the same breath want a manager who has been here 15 games sacked because he "can't motivate" a bunch of players that three successive managers have struggled to get a winning tune out of, and in total a club that hasn't won a thing in 21 years.

After three years of Martinez telling the world this squad is title material, the realism of somebody saying we aren't is now hurting people? If the players are so mentally fragile that they're effected by it, then it just goes back to prove my point as well...

On average we play 5 Moyes signings, 2 Martinez signings and 4 Koeman signings in games, the fact that the last manager bought so badly that we are using players that a manager currently on his 3rd club after leaving us speaks volumes.

I only wish it was after 15games that people demanded he be sacked, the majority of the bed wetters wanted him sacked after 7 games.

He isn't getting the sack because we're in ninth. Anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded (and I know me and @Tree13 joked about it) but yeh, bloody entitled as well.

If we're in a stick later in the season and he's brought players in, maybe he would go.

But for the time being get behind the new manager and just look at the bigger picture (not directed at you this btw, but in general).

Every football fan in the country is entitled. And that's because every fan feels their team is the most important. What we have here is impatience and cynicism. Promised massive improvement and given regression and what appears now to be terminal decline.

On average we play 5 Moyes signings, 2 Martinez signings and 4 Koeman signings in games, the fact that the last manager bought so badly that we are using players that a manager currently on his 3rd club after leaving us speaks volumes.

I only wish it was after 15games that people demanded he be sacked, the majority of the bed wetters wanted him sacked after 7 games.

It's pathetic Goat.

Nobody is happy with how we've been playing. We all know that.

But they're angst isn't having any effect on the people that matter.

He'll get given the time in the January window, and the backing. If he doesn't get the backing, we could be in trouble, because this team died a long time ago.

5489.jpg

Ronald Koeman’s frustrations with Everton’s dismal run of form have been laid bare, with the manager admitting his squad is unbalanced and needs to improve physically and mentally.

Everton host Arsenal in the Premier League on Tuesday having won one of their past 11 games in all competitions. Koeman conceded that sequence means he and his players are underperforming, with the 3-2 defeat at Watford last Saturday their fifth loss in six away games and increasing criticism of the manager lured from Southampton in the summer on a contract of £6m per annum. “I know most of the opinions,” he said. “If I am an Evertonian, and I am, I am also disappointed. We won’t win every game but one in 10 is underperforming by everybody, including me.”

Koeman was in feisty and confrontational form at his pre-match press conference on Monday, when he insisted Everton’s problems require an immediate solution and could not wait for the January transfer window. His frustration was apparent as he diagnosed the weaknesses in the Everton squad.

“The problem is now, we have to solve the problem now and we will see if we will fix it,” he said. “We need more balance in the team between individual qualities, football qualities and also physically and mentally. That is what we need to fix but that is not done in one day.

“What does it help if I talk about January or I talk about the summer? What helps the problem right now? That is trying to get the balance of the 11 that start. That is what I need to fix. If I don’t fix it, then you can criticise. No problem.”

Despite calling for more productivity from his forwards repeatedly this season, telling Ross Barkley he needs to improve “in all aspects” and questioning Romelu Lukaku’s adaptation to a pressing game, Koeman claimed: “I don’t criticise my team. I protect my players. We need all the players. What you think? That I am criticising all my players? I criticise them now when they need to start tomorrow?”

Koeman was asked whether he had inherited a mediocre squad from Roberto Martínez, one that finished 11th for the past two seasons, or was failing to get the most out of his players? “I don’t talk about the past. I don’t talk about the past. We need to deal with what the situation is now,” he replied.

Was his message not getting across in that case? “You don’t resolve a problem in two weeks,” he said. “You think they don’t listen to the manager?”

But it is one win in 10 Premier League games? “OK, I understand, but I don’t understand you,” Koeman added.

The Everton manager described in detail his team’s failings at Watford, where he believes a lack of physicality contributed to conceding two set-piece goals and another worrying defeat. “First of all, you must understand that, in the Premier League, physicality is an important factor,” he said.

“It doesn’t start with quality on the ball and these kind of teams are different to ours. Or course we can do more, we need to do more, we need more aggression, I agree, but we have different players to Watford or Burnley or others.

“Every team who doesn’t have that physicality will struggle. The best example I can give you is Manchester City. I don’t compare Everton to Manchester City but Everton is selected on the qualities of the players and not about the physicality of the players. That’s the way of football, that’s why we struggle against these kind of teams. It’s because if we have set plays we have [Ramiro] Funes Mori, we have [Ashley] Williams – two defensive headers. We had [Gareth] Barry and [Séamus] Coleman against two strong headers of our opponent [at Watford], so always we will have difficulties defending set plays.

“They got three goals and if you analyse them it’s not about football. The first is a long ball from the centre-back, a fight, a header, second ball, cross and goal. That’s difficult for us, that type of football. I understood the coach of Watford thought his team played like Barcelona on Saturday but I totally disagree. If you analyse the game, in my opinion, that’s why we struggle.

“Of course on the ball we need to be more comfortable, but that’s confidence. I have a Dutch goalkeeper [Maarten Stekelenburg] who has played virtually all his life in Holland and is used to playing it short but now he kicks every one away because maybe he is nervous. And there was a lot of space – that’s the difficulty at the moment. I agree we can do more as a team, more to win second balls, but that is not done in one week. We can talk about January and the summer but the problem is now and we need to solve it.”

Every football fan in the country is entitled. And that's because every fan feels their team is the most important. What we have here is impatience and cynicism. Promised massive improvement and given regression and what appears now to be terminal decline.

Okay then, that's a better way of phrasing it Tim. Agree there.

I get the cynicism - totally. It's hard not to be cynical with Everton.

The impatience, I don't get.

Although like any manager he bought some duds I think Martinez first 3 loan to buy signings (Lukaku, Deulofeu and Barry) were excellent

I think he sees what we all see, but seems to do nothing about it on it matchdays. I think that's were my weekly optimism comes from (his interviews) its time to get some fans back on side and put in a performance.

I hope he starts with Valencia and Lukaku tonight.

Although like any manager he bought some duds I think Martinez first 3 loan to buy signings (Lukaku, Deulofeu and Barry) were excellent

They were. I though RM's transfer policy (for what he wanted) was good.

But that's the point Koeman makes, and it's what me and Goat and others have been saying.

Martinez left a squad that was highly saturated in certain areas, very weak in others, but not based around any physicality. It was all little players really - because that's how Bobby wanted to play.

Compare the size of our team to Spurs, as an example. Okay, now compare it to Liverpool - those players play with pace and energy, something that ours lack after three years of 'water-carrying'.

But ok, Koeman tried to address that by bringing in energy (Gueye), pace/power for the front (Bolasie) and strength at the back (Williams). He wanted to add more 'legs' up top - so we went for Gabbiadini, who does actually do that very well. He also went for Sissoko (after Witsel pied us) - to add some power to a midfield that relies on Cleverley as back-up.

Koemans signings have been ok so far but the problem is the rest of the team has collapsed dramatically, even since Martinez days.

If they were playing as well as they were 15 months ago Koeman wouldn't have a problem

I think he sees what we all see, but seems to do nothing about it on it matchdays. I think that's were my weekly optimism comes from (his interviews) its time to get some fans back on side and put in a performance.

I hope he starts with Valencia and Lukaku tonight.

It would be great to see 2 strikers and may do a lot for Lukakus game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back