Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a Utd fan said he thought they should sack Jose you'd probably tell him to wise up and give him time after successive poor managers. Same here with Ron. This time next season is when we'll see if he's for us or no.
Pep is also having a terrible run. It takes time but it just how it looks to the fans is what is frustrating people . It appears there is a lack of effort

I'm to be convinced by Ronald yet. And I do think he should have kept the players onside as much as he could (until the transfer window). But, if its to be believed that the consensus is the players aren't trying for him because they're cheesed off he's criticised them in public, or that he'll bring players in to replace them, then its very poor on their part. They're paid professionals. This lot have had many chances under this and the last regime. I don't see them massively improving now under a new manager either. Apart from one or two individuals, the only way is down after leaving us. They should be fighting tooth and nail to stay here. Days are numbered I'm afraid!

Let's talk about Koeman (in the proper place; where it should be) ...

Do the players listen to Koeman? I suspect they might have at one point ...

Ronald Koeman insists it is ‘crazy’ to consider Everton title contenders
• Merseyside club cannot ‘do a Leicester’, says manager after good start
• Koeman confirms Everton want to extend Romelu Lukaku’s contract
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...is-crazy-to-consider-everton-title-contenders

Maybe they believed him?

We CANNOT win the league and we WANT to extend Rom's contract. Such certainty about what we can't do and such meek hope directed toward the hope of NOT losing a player we already signed.

Having a manager you can believe in is a positive and having a no-nonsense straight talking manager is a positive right?

"Oh c'mon mate saying you can't win the league and being able to beat Watford are two widely different things ... players shouldn't get discouraged by that."

Should, should, should ... you'll drive a should shaped car off a should shaped bridge because it shouldn't be a problem.

Reality is all that matters ... the fact "lazy millenials" (or insert your preferred disrespectful term here) want to win the league like Leicester did -- and to imagine actually thinking it could actually happen ... a whole 0 years after it actually happened! -- and the fact Koeman talking like that will probably demotivate them ... well it shouldn't! I mean back in my day!

I have yet to see anything from Ronald Koeman for me to rate him anywhere above average as a manager.

I don't know as much about football as him but I know people and I suspect he sucks at managing people. A lot.

Did you see the players walking in before the game this weekend? They looked miserable.

"Oh c'mon mate it's just their commute ... you're reading too much into it."

Jags had a smile on his face to be fair ... of course he wasn't playing.

There is a certain type of person in the world who gets uncomfortable with big ideas, elaborate displays and grand ambitions. Get a solid job (maybe with the government!) and settle down and save and nest and act like "everyone else." They don't like stats (especially not when they disprove an old fashioned group think "fact" -- I mean why would they like stats when that's mostly how they see them, as flashlights exposing their failures: when *science* is telling them that the way they raised their kids was wrong, what they thought about gays and blacks is wrong, what they think about the climate is wrong and what they think about the economy is wrong too). They like to say things like "end of" and "proper" and they have a set of rules (which exist only in their collective heads) about how people "should" behave.

"He HAS been shouting at them for some time now. Is shouting louder your only idea or just your best?"

This concept of what people "should" do is important to them and it unconsciously guides their decision making more often than reality. They interact via masks and personas -- they LOVE small talk and they are good at making it feel like you're connecting with them when in fact you are having surface platitudinous exchanges which contain no new information. If they started reading this and haven't already stopped reading and posted a snarky/trolly comment they probably did right after "platitudinous."

They tend to be old but they aren't always. They think old. These people (due to their crippling insecurity) force their consciously developed personalities (therefore safe) and identities into the collective to the point where personality traits (which should be allowed to develop based on whatever combo of nature/nurture is unique to each person depending on millions of factors ... you know ... "personal") are taught as "the right way to behave" or "the wrong way to behave." Boys CANNOT cry.

They get paid to play football and give 100% no matter what like a professional. We'd all kill to make what they make and this is how they perform?

A picture of the squad all on their phones in the locker room brings unanimous contempt in the Echo comments: the lazy millennial players are the problem. Immigrants too a lot of them let's face it! They shouldn't be on their phones!

Dear anonymous Echo commenters: Just keep in mind I drive by you in my luxury car and say the same things about why you aren't digging the ditch faster. You love Koeman's straight talk ... so dig my ditch faster lazy bones you don't get paid to sit around gabbing like hens. Doesn't that make you want to work faster and better? What's that? ... Lukaku's hold up play you say? ... listen I have to go I have a swan orgy to attend.

Footballers are the problem! And Kanye West of course. *I'm* the problem! Your actual real life boss (and his boss) don't do anything to help you. Baines goes to hospitals all the time! I don't ... disgusting there you might catch something ... besides it's terribly depressing.

Of course the world doesn't give a crap what you think *should* happen.

So when you get rid of a phenomenal manager who started to rub everyone the wrong way because he promised the moon and delivered one trip to space about halfway to the moon and then two exploded spaceships ... and get in a proper manager ... a real just proper pedigree top notch looks like a duck and quacks like a duck manager ... well the players should respond ... why would have to be from a completely different mindset not to think he's a great manager for whom to play right?

Old men can continue to hire managers THEY would like to work for and get sub-optimal results or they can hire managers for whom THEIR EMPLOYEES would like to work. One of the secrets of business is they need you more than you need them (there are millions of places for you to work but for the owner there is really only one) ... you don't believe that because you don't value yourself as highly as I value myself. That allows me to gain advantage over you as the employer.

Footballers understand how business works way better than most football fans do (well ... their agents do but what does it matter who had the idea).

Their unions haven't been crushed.

Their wages haven't fallen.

Their entire class isn't shrinking.

Footballers don't need to think more like you .... slaving yourself to death living cheque to cheque.

YOU need to think more like a footballer.

I can't say much more about Koeman. It's "early" ... but I'm not on the fence.

I'm not giving him a fair chance.

Koeman out! I can FEEL it in my gut boys ... gotta trust my gut lids.

... and ... you know ... everything that's happened thus far.

I didn't want Moyes fired -- didn't think anyone could do significantly better with BK and Elstone in charge to justify the risk of hiring someone who would have been worse at managing the low (no) resources provided.

I would have fired Martinez if BK was still in charge; with Mosh coming in I would have given him another year. When you have the finished article you can have managers like Koeman (in fact they are arguably better suited); when you need to sometimes make lemons out of lemonade you don't want the person in charge constantly pointing out that even if you manage to make the lemonade (which you probably can't) it will never taste as good as the lemonade they sell across the street. That doesn't motivate people ... even if it's true ... why would just stating a true fact matter? It shouldn't!

Koeman is the wrong manager for this Everton. Even if he's better than I think ... I still think he's the wrong *type* of manager for this time in Everton's history.

I admit shouting out NSNO started to grate during BK's tenure -- I mean it actually hurts you to always strive for perfection when so obviously disadvantaged. The underdog doesn't win the war by charging 100% of their forces directly into the enemy's main defenses.

Moshiri was supposed to signal a return to NSNO and instead we have a manager who rivals Moyes for dour cynicism.

Knife to a gunfight mentality.

Top ten is an amazing achievement mentality.

NSNO. I'm not here to argue; that's our motto.

Good post.
The average tenure figure is, of course, grossly distorted by Arsene Wenger's 20 years or so at Arsenal. If you exclude Wenger, the average is probably less than two years.
I think now is the right time to criticise Koeman, given that we have won one and drawn four of our last eleven games. He's had 17 games plus a transfer window and a pre-season to get his act together and has done nothing to indicate that he is capable of rebuilding. Of course, it's too early to start talking about sacking him but I am fearful that if he can't begin to earn his enormous salary by the end of the season then we could be in real trouble. That's because I care about Everton and have no loyalty to any mercenary manager just passing through on his way to Barcelona or oblivion. But I REALLY hope he can turn it around.
I really hope he can turn it around too! He seemed to slow down the fail ship a little at the start of the season, with a string of results, but now we seem to be back at full steam towards the iceberg that is the crucial Christmas fixture list! Going to need a lot of bailing out in the January window to keep afloat!

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...is-crazy-to-consider-everton-title-contenders

Maybe they believed him?

We CANNOT win the league and we WANT to extend Rom's contract. Such certainty about what we can't do and such meek hope directed toward the hope of NOT losing a player we already signed.

Having a manager you can believe in is a positive and having a no-nonsense straight talking manager is a positive right?

"Oh c'mon mate saying you can't win the league and being able to beat Watford are two widely different things ... players shouldn't get discouraged by that."

Should, should, should ... you'll drive a should shaped car off a should shaped bridge because it shouldn't be a problem.

Reality is all that matters ... the fact "lazy millenials" (or insert your preferred disrespectful term here) want to win the league like Leicester did -- and to imagine actually thinking it could actually happen ... a whole 0 years after it actually happened! -- and the fact Koeman talking like that will probably demotivate them ... well it shouldn't! I mean back in my day!

I have yet to see anything from Ronald Koeman for me to rate him anywhere above average as a manager.

I don't know as much about football as him but I know people and I suspect he sucks at managing people. A lot.

Did you see the players walking in before the game this weekend? They looked miserable.

There is a certain type of person in the world who gets uncomfortable with big ideas, elaborate displays and grand ambitions. Get a solid job (maybe with the government!) and settle down and save and nest and act like "everyone else." They don't like stats (especially not when they disprove an old fashioned group think "fact" -- I mean why would they like stats when that's mostly how they see them, as flashlights exposing their failures: when *science* is telling them that the way they raised their kids was wrong, what they thought about gays and blacks is wrong, what they think about the climate is wrong and what they think about the economy is wrong too). They like to say things like "end of" and "proper" and they have a set of rules (which exist only in their collective heads) about how people "should" behave.

"He HAS been shouting at them for some time now. Is shouting louder your only idea or just your best?"

This concept of what people "should" do is important to them and it unconsciously guides their decision making more often than reality. They interact via masks and personas -- they LOVE small talk and they are good at making it feel like you're connecting with them when in fact you are having surface platitudinous exchanges which contain no new information. If they started reading this and haven't already stopped reading and posted a snarky/trolly comment they probably did right after "platitudinous."

They tend to be old but they aren't always. They think old. These people (due to their crippling insecurity) force their consciously developed personalities (therefore safe) and identities into the collective to the point where personality traits (which should be allowed to develop based on whatever combo of nature/nurture is unique to each person depending on millions of factors ... you know ... "personal") are taught as "the right way to behave" or "the wrong way to behave." Boys CANNOT cry.

They get paid to play football and give 100% no matter what like a professional. We'd all kill to make what they make and this is how they perform?

A picture of the squad all on their phones in the locker room brings unanimous contempt in the Echo comments: the lazy millennial players are the problem. Immigrants too a lot of them let's face it! They shouldn't be on their phones!

Dear anonymous Echo commenters: Just keep in mind I drive by you in my luxury car and say the same things about why you aren't digging the ditch faster. You love Koeman's straight talk ... so dig my ditch faster lazy bones you don't get paid to sit around gabbing like hens. Doesn't that make you want to work faster and better? What's that? ... Lukaku's hold up play you say? ... listen I have to go I have a swan orgy to attend.

Footballers are the problem! And Kanye West of course. *I'm* the problem! Your actual real life boss (and his boss) don't do anything to help you. Baines goes to hospitals all the time! I don't ... disgusting there you might catch something ... besides it's terribly depressing.

So when you get rid of a phenomenal manager who started to rub everyone the wrong way because he promised the moon and delivered one trip to space about halfway to the moon and then two exploded spaceships ... and get in a proper manager ... a real just proper pedigree top notch looks like a duck and quacks like a duck manager ... well the players should respond ... why would have to be from a completely different mindset not to think he's a great manager for whom to play right?

Old men can continue to hire managers THEY would like to work for and get sub-optimal results or they can hire managers for whom THEIR EMPLOYEES would like to work. One of the secrets of business is they need you more than you need them (there are millions of places for you to work but for the owner there is really only one) ... you don't believe that because you don't value yourself as highly as I value myself. That allows me to gain advantage over you as the employer.

Footballers understand how business works way better than most football fans do (well ... their agents do but what does it matter who had the idea).

Footballers don't need to think more like you .... slaving yourself to death living cheque to cheque.

I didn't want Moyes fired -- didn't think anyone could do significantly better with BK and Elstone in charge to justify the risk of hiring someone who would have been worse at managing the low (no) resources provided.

I would have fired Martinez if BK was still in charge; with Mosh coming in I would have given him another year. When you have the finished article you can have managers like Koeman (in fact they are arguably better suited); when you need to sometimes make lemons out of lemonade you don't want the person in charge constantly pointing out that even if you manage to make the lemonade (which you probably can't) it will never taste as good as the lemonade they sell across the street. That doesn't motivate people ... even if it's true ... why would just stating a true fact matter? It shouldn't!

Koeman is the wrong manager for this Everton. Even if he's better than I think ... I still think he's the wrong *type* of manager for this time in Everton's history.

I admit shouting out NSNO started to grate during BK's tenure -- I mean it actually hurts you to always strive for perfection when so obviously disadvantaged. The underdog doesn't win the war by charging 100% of their forces directly into the enemy's main defenses.

Moshiri was supposed to signal a return to NSNO and instead we have a manager who rivals Moyes for dour cynicism.

Good post, enjoyed that

Thans TeRRy

I wish i had some peoples enthusiasm for tomorrows game, i simply don't recognise this rabble as an Everton team,

i must be watching different games to some people lately as i'm expecting 3 thumping defeats, Koeman has got this mob playing as bad as i've ever seen,
i'll be jumping for joy if we could somehow scrape a nil nil draw in any of the next two games.

Maybe they believed him?

Good post, enjoyed that

Thans TeRRy

It was a great rant...

Maybe they believed him?

I hate to leave a job half done, but after reading a few lines I remembered I start work at eight tomorrow.

Maybe they believed him?

Take a bow my son.

Post of the year ;)

Rant of the century :pint2:

If a Utd fan said he thought they should sack Jose you'd probably tell him to wise up and give him time after successive poor managers. Same here with Ron. This time next season is when we'll see if he's for us or no.

Perhaps because Mourinho is one of the best managers in the world?

Maybe they believed him?

@GrandOldTeam front page article potential?

He hasn't lost the players.

The players just aren't very good.

Big difference.

Obviously, some of them are boss, but the majority have been underachieving here for far too long.

Others, like Clevs, yeh they're just crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back