Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lad has got all the tools, and I'm a huge fan.

But we are still acting like he's doing the things he did in his first season - he hasn't in ages.

He can't tackle well, so we can't play him deep, but he doesn't have the movement or vision to shrug off his markers in a No.10 role either.

So the only way I see we can 'build' around him is go 4-3-3, but unless we play a striker up top on one of the wings, we isolate Rom. It's catch 22.

Well, theres always a kneejerk reaction around him. "Hasn't developed in 3 years etc" when the fact he actually only became a rounded midfielder last season and had his personal best record for assists and goals (9 goals, 8 assists I believe)

The majority of the people expect him to be that kid in the playground from 3 years ago, mainly due to us not playing well and want him to single handily win games.

Personally, from May to December last season he was playing as one of the top young midfielders in European football. As with everyone his age, form dipped. As a club we didnt have anyone to help him out player wise.

Then suddenly, hes not in the england side (after playing most of the qualifiers), fans on his back, and now dropped from club and country.

And at the moment he doesn't fit Koeman's system.

And I think thats a right way to play with a striker of the wings. We need fluidity in the forward line, which we're not doing.

But we are still acting like he's doing the things he did in his first season - he hasn't in ages.

He can't tackle well, so we can't play him deep, but he doesn't have the movement or vision to shrug off his markers in a No.10 role either.

So the only way I see we can 'build' around him is go 4-3-3, but unless we play a striker up top on one of the wings, we isolate Rom. It's catch 22.

In fact my ideal set up would be a Mata or Gylfi type player out wide and Ross in the middle.

You'd have two players on the same wave length but in certain positions and would add a lot to our game

Well, theres always a kneejerk reaction around him. "Hasn't developed in 3 years etc" when the fact he actually only became a rounded midfielder last season and had his personal best record for assists and goals (9 goals, 8 assists I believe)

The majority of the people expect him to be that kid in the playground from 3 years ago, mainly due to us not playing well and want him to single handily win games.

Personally, from May to December last season he was playing as one of the top young midfielders in European football. As with everyone his age, form dipped. As a club we didnt have anyone to help him out player wise.

Then suddenly, hes not in the england side (after playing most of the qualifiers), fans on his back, and now dropped from club and country.

And at the moment he doesn't fit Koeman's system.

And I think thats a right way to play with a striker of the wings. We need fluidity in the forward line, which we're not doing.

I agree with every word there mate.

But, I want Barkley to 'show' more when he plays than he has done. He has all the ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck, but doesn't do it enough.

Give him time - he / Steve Walsh will get it right

He's improved the defence - there were games earlier in the season as well that we drew / lost but dominated the stats

Hopefully can bring in a couple of new attacking players and a center back in Jan....
Three clean sheets in 15 games with 11 conceded in our last five suggests otherwise. Some of our defending recently has been woeful.

I agree Blue Cheese, his career is stilton in the reserves, he could be the roquefort our midfield.
ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

On the basis that he can't tackle ( you are correct of course ) do you think Pep would be interested in recruiting him for City's midfield ?

On the basis that he can't tackle ( you are correct of course ) do you think Pep would be interested in recruiting him for City's midfield ?

haha, I hope not mate! There's still a class player in there, but he needs to start showing it consistently now.

It has to be said, his best form came in the first half of last season when he was playing in a 3 for both club and country. I honestly think that's the role for him.

he'd always be involved in the build-up, but would have a bit more space to operate in. The issue is then we need our wide players to be much better at supporting Rom.

haha, I hope not mate! There's still a class player in there, but he needs to start showing it consistently now.

It has to be said, his best form came in the first half of last season when he was playing in a 3 for both club and country. I honestly think that's the role for him.

he'd always be involved in the build-up, but would have a bit more space to operate in. The issue is then we need our wide players to be much better at supporting Rom.

That may well be the best way to accomodate his talent but his biggest problem is between his ears.

He must learn that no matter how talented you are you still have to work for the team and show the right attitude.

That doesn't necessarily mean throwing yourself into challenges but he has to show more hunger and desire.

His mum should give a Messi DVD for Christmas.

You won't get a more outrageously talented player but watch his application and work rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back