Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you want Koeman out. You've made it clear in your recent posts. You are so keen to be right that you are prepared to ignore us being 7th, showing signs of improvement since day one of this season, in favour of trying to frame the conversation. You insist on taking smaller chunks of the season to paint a bad picture (the whole "1 win in 10 games" thing) when any sensible individual looks at the whole season to date and says "Hmmmm, 7th place, with a squad that Martinez could only reach 11th with (bar a couple of recent signings). Well, that's better than it was."

But I've explained this more than once already, and you just keep ignoring it.

We haven't improved, we beat arsenal in a one off performance. If you think anything prior to that was improvement then this discussion is frankly a waste of my time.

You must have because all I've been saying for the past week is how much I hate the bottlers in our playing squad. They turned up last night and showed a semblance of spirit, so fair play there.
Yep they did and that's all we have been asking for. Unfortunately yes when the players play as badly as they have previously then the manager takes the flak. It's not rocket science.

Koeman made a few changes yesterday - in both personnel and system and, after a crap opening where we just looked like we were begging to concede, the players finally overcame that fear factor.

The pressing, instigated by Valencia and McCarthy and Gueye, jeed the crowd up, and that in turn gave the whole place a lift.

Some of the football wasn't the best, but regardless, we won, and beat a top-class side in the process.

Big few weeks coming up but that intensity and aggression is how Koeman wants the side to play. Have that as a solid base and then the nice stuff can come on top of it.

Huge game next week. Onwards and, ideally, upwards.

Works both ways though,if the manager gets credit for a good game he also gets critised for the bad ones,I have been critical of his tactics,I think some of thw football we have played has been as bad as anything in the league,but tonight was spot on once the players got over the nervousness/fear but I will wait and see how the rest of the season pans out rather than go from one extreme to another,everybody played their part tonight lets hope it continues
Well of course it cuts both ways but don't you think it would be better to show a little patience? I know we've been playing dog standard football for the most part this season but it's not like it was wonderful stuff last year or the one before was it? Koeman is having to completely change this entire side and their style, it can't be done in a few months no matter how much we'd like it to. The manager should take criticism and or credit when he deserves it but it should be done with measure. As you say it would be better for everyone to just calm down a bit and make a calm judgment on Koeman at the end of the season. It'd certainly be much better then have the endless hysterical overreaction's at the end of every match.

We haven't imp[roved, we beat arsenal in a one off performance. If you think anything prior to that was improvement then this discussion is frankly as waste of my time.
Then walk away from the conversation pal.

We have improved. Your "one-off performance" is actually our sixth win of the season - hard to define a win as a one-off when there are five more of them in the book too. We are 7th so far, with a squad largely similar to last season.... so either the four players Koeman signed have done it all by themselves, or Koeman is having a positive impact as a coach. Or maybe 7th is worse than 11th? I don't know how that works, but you seem to have a firm grip on it.

What I do know is your WUMming is getting boring. I can't begin to imagine how angry you're going to be if we add a few more "one-off" wins to the list, or sign a couple of players in January who have absolutely zero impact, like Gana or Williams have done so far.

Have a lovely day on your planet.

Well of course it cuts both ways but don't you think it would be better to show a little patience? I know we've been playing dog standard football for the most part this season but it's not like it was wonderful stuff last year or the one before was it? Koeman is having to completely change this entire side and their style, it can't be done in a few months no matter how much we'd like it to. The manager should take criticism and or credit when he deserves it but it should be done with measure. As you say it would be better for everyone to just calm down a bit and make a calm judgment on Koeman at the end of the season. It'd certainly be much better then have the endless hysterical overreaction's at the end of every match.
Well said sir!

it's Koemans fault if the players have underperformed (as they have done for almost every match for several years now) but Koeman gets no credit when they do preform at a high standard?

I don't think it's Koeman's fault, but I felt (and still feel) he's the wrong guy to get any change out of these players. Make no mistake, I lay the form of our team solely at the door of our team. I did so under Martinez and I will do so under Koeman. The main reason we have achieved such poor results over the last couple of years is through sheer inertia and an inability to put in a shift when it matters.

Our football was ugly yesterday, but it was thrilling as hell. Fair play to Koeman for putting out such a weird team, but in the end it wasn't the system that won the day, it was a few crunching tackles here and there and some general blood and thunder. It remains very much to to be seen whether we can maintain that level of energy over a season, but I really hope we can.

I'm not a big fan of Koeman's, and I found his appointment to be uninspiring (I still do). But obviously I want him to succeed and have more nights like last night. Prove me wrong Ron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back