Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
the football he has served up so far is terrible I have seen no change in fitness and I go home after every game exhausted after clinging onto my seat. So Can someone please tell me what sort of style he trying to get us to play?

Percentage football.

Only problem is he is trying to use an abacus to solve the equation instead of a modern super computer.

He did not have to bring Gareth Barry on, sorry. As awful as Cleverley is, at least he can sort of run around. Calvert-Lewin coming on on the right wing was a joke. No excuse mert.
Oh behave, Cleverley stank the place out last time he played. Barry was the obvious replacement.

I assume you made the same comments about Calvert Lewin coming on after the Arsenal game like?

The 2 injuries robbed him of the opportunity to make 2 more attacking changes late in the game.

What exactly is a "chance created"?

Its a total nothing stat.

Disagree actually, I find that stat more useful than "assists" because the player in question has no control over whether the chance results in a goal or not. Bolasie has had 4 assists, but he's laid 3 or 4 glorious chances on this season that should also have been buried. Not his fault that they weren't.

Find the Bolasie slating daft. I can live with arguments about style of play etc, but Bolasie has created a genuinely good chance or two in more or less every game he has played. He's frustrating, but he's proved he can create. The issue isn't him, it's having players in the box on the end of his crosses and a viable wide player on the other side of the pitch so that we're not so reliant on him

That said, pointless argument now as I would imagine the lad is finished after this injury

Bolasie was used as a focal point above all others for the direct ball...none of those have been.

Except they are. their job is all the same, just on the opposite side of the pitch. We weren't playing Bolasie any differently to lennon last night, or del, or kev, all do the exact same job, bolaise was just better at it than the rest, which speaks volumes about the quality of them all.

And about 6 assists where he put the ball on a plate but we still couldn't finish.

My point is, although i am not Yannicks biggest fan, he had end results at the end of the day, the rest of them haven't, more so when you consider they have all been chopped and changed all season so they have had chances to have an end product and yet none of them have been as good as Bolasie at it. Granted i think Bolasie is bang average as well but you can't argue that since we lost him, bar arsenal, we have looked clueless

No. Stek was an improvement on Robles. Williams is a top class CB and therefore an improvement on Stones. Valencia I was initially hostile to, but the last couple of games have suggested I was wrong. Bolasie was not as effective as I hoped but he was still our best provider and was out before half a season. Gana is a major success who, I hope, we will build a future team around.
So far better than the last fellah at least.
Wow, that is some argument. Stek is better than Robles, maybe that's true but it is a tallest dwarf competition and did not solve our long standing GK issue - miss. Williams has been very poor, he's 32, quiet as a church mouse and has the passing range of Peter Kay - miss. Valencia is rubbish, some people have changed their minds because he runs around a lot doing nothing, he's still rubbish he's now just fast moving rubbish - miss. I think Bolasie is useless (as do many others on here), man people on here think he's decent, consensus seems to be that £28M was way too much for him - jury's out. Gana has been great - hit.

It's only one window but to state that this guy is a better judge of talent than the guy who got us Rom and Barry (yes, he's gone downhill but he has been one of our best performers over the last three years including at the start of this season) remains to be seen. They have both signed some rubbish and they have both signed good players.

I agree with you mate. I think the basis of the squad is decent, it is just sorely lacking in certain areas. I think if we added the right level of quality in those areas we would see that many of our current players suddenly look much better.
We have some very decent players

True, but they've come into a team that has losers and wasters in it. I'm prepared to give them time to prove themselves. I'm not being unreasonable here, I gave everyone in this squad time before I slaughtered them. I even tried to defend Niasse after it became obvious how bad he was but my patience have snapped with this squad now. They've had more then enough time to prove themselves and have failed repeatedly on almost every single occasion.
Respect your opinions

No. Stek was an improvement on Robles. Williams is a top class CB and therefore an improvement on Stones. Valencia I was initially hostile to, but the last couple of games have suggested I was wrong. Bolasie was not as effective as I hoped but he was still our best provider and was out before half a season. Gana is a major success who, I hope, we will build a future team around.
So far better than the last fellah at least.
Outside of Gana...you really sure

Disagree actually, I find that stat more useful than "assists" because the player in question has no control over whether the chance results in a goal or not. Bolasie has had 4 assists, but he's laid 3 or 4 glorious chances on this season that should also have been buried. Not his fault that they weren't.

Find the Bolasie slating daft. I can live with arguments about style of play etc, but Bolasie has created a genuinely good chance or two in more or less every game he has played. He's frustrating, but he's proved he can create. The issue isn't him, it's having players in the box on the end of his crosses and a viable wide player on the other side of the pitch so that we're not so reliant on him

That said, pointless argument now as I would imagine the lad is finished after this injury

Football is not a stats based game. It is a creation by the bods at Opta etc to try and Americanize the game. Goals for and against and points gained are all that matters.

The player has no control over any of it because its not a "thing".

I'm not going to read this thread since last night because I'm sure it's full of very insightful, constructive criticisms...

The Arsenal game and the first half last night are how Koeman wants us to play. High intensity, with energy to press the midfield which allows us to defend high up the pitch. Unfortunately, we don't have enough players to allow us to do this when injuries come along, as was shown by the shift in play in the 2nd half when barry came on. Lukaku and Barkley became isolated because some of the energy from midfield had gone and we had to sit deeper.

There are positive signs as far as I'm concerned. Once we get more players in who have the attributes needed for the game Koeman wants us to play, we will see more performances like we did against Arsenal and the first half last night, which will see us win more points.

I'm not going to read this thread since last night because I'm sure it's full of very insightful, constructive criticisms...

The Arsenal game and the first half last night are how Koeman wants us to play. High intensity, with energy to press the midfield which allows us to defend high up the pitch. Unfortunately, we don't have enough players to allow us to do this when injuries come along, as was shown by the shift in play in the 2nd half when barry came on. Lukaku and Barkley became isolated because some of the energy from midfield had gone and we had to sit deeper.

There are positive signs as far as I'm concerned. Once we get more players in who have the attributes needed for the game Koeman wants us to play, we will see more performances like we did against Arsenal and the first half last night, which will see us win more points.

The high intensity side is there (for now)

What about the rest? This "tactic" results in stifling the opposition, which is great, but what about our own team? We are going to need to have shots and stuff to win games....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back