Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Arsenal game and the first half last night are how Koeman wants us to play. High intensity, with energy to press the midfield which allows us to defend high up the pitch. Unfortunately, we don't have enough players to allow us to do this

^^ This

And until we've been through a few transfer windows it is going to be a work in progress. This season was always going to be a write off - judge him in 12 months time I say.

Wow, that is some argument. Stek is better than Robles, maybe that's true but it is a tallest dwarf competition and did not solve our long standing GK issue - miss. Williams has been very poor, he's 32, quiet as a church mouse and has the passing range of Peter Kay - miss. Valencia is rubbish, some people have changed their minds because he runs around a lot doing nothing, he's still rubbish he's now just fast moving rubbish - miss. I think Bolasie is useless (as do many others on here), man people on here think he's decent, consensus seems to be that £28M was way too much for him - jury's out. Gana has been great - hit.

It's only one window but to state that this guy is a better judge of talent than the guy who got us Rom and Barry (yes, he's gone downhill but he has been one of our best performers over the last three years including at the start of this season) remains to be seen. They have both signed some rubbish and they have both signed good players.
Two good players in three years is poor and one of the reasons we're struggling now, Martinez was appalling in the transfer market. As I fundamentally disagree with your assessment of Koemans signings, I put him well ahead.

The high intensity side is there (for now)

What about the rest? This "tactic" results in stifling the opposition, which is great, but what about our own team? We are going to need to have shots and stuff to win games....

Again, we need the players who have the ability to spot a quick forward pass once we've won the ball back high up the pitch. We created half chances simply by winning the ball and driving forward. We're lacking a little bit of creative spark

Koemans football is basically what we got under Moyes but with worse players.

Lots of running, playing the channels and hoofing from the back

Not really worth what we paid for him imo
Agree and disagree. I don't think we have worse players, i think it's MASSIVELY the WRONG players for this.

Which, again, makes me question Koeman's managerial nous. He's shoehorning a system completely ineffective for the group of players available to him.

^^ This

And until we've been through a few transfer windows it is going to be a work in progress. This season was always going to be a write off - judge him in 12 months time I say.

I wouldn't say a write off, the foundation is there to fight for the European spots and progress in the FA cup if we buy well in January.

Somebody may have said this already but, Koeman has inherited players who dont normally play his style, with the exception of the ones he signed who arguably are performing atm.........until he gets 100% of his own style of player its a bit unfair to judge , no matter how fed up we all are atm

^^ This

Written off by whom?

Certainly not written off the 33,000 of us whom forked out our hard earned and in many cases barely affordable money for season tickets.

No free pass for Koeman.....yes he needs time but in the meantime he needs to be doing sommat to keep the customers satisfied and thus far it has been mainly horrendous.

Even in a transition season I expect to see some sign of forward momentum but all I am seeing is regression.

The high intensity side is there (for now)

What about the rest? This "tactic" results in stifling the opposition, which is great, but what about our own team? We are going to need to have shots and stuff to win games....

And that's on the players.

I'm pretty sure Koeman isn't saying to Ross or Rom "here lads, when you get into the final third, make sure you pass it straight to a defender"

The tactics worked in that it gets us on the front foot.

As @Titus Bramble rightly said, we lack players who can do this consistently and at the moment, we lack any creative spark or outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back