Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Written off by whom?

Certainly not written off the 33,000 of us whom forked out our hard earned and in many cases barely affordable money for season tickets.

No free pass for Koeman.....yes he needs time but in the meantime he needs to be doing sommat to keep the customers satisfied and thus far it has been mainly horrendous.

Even in a transition season I expect to see some sign of forward momentum but all I am seeing is regression.

Klopp arrived at Liverpool when they were 8th.

They finished 8th.

They have spent £150mil, on top of the £200mil that Rodgers spent.

So give it time. Give it more than one window.

Nobody is pleased Khal, but it's a work in progress. We're still more than capable of finishing where we targetted this season, which as Koeman pointed out in his first presser, is top 7.

Thing is, we had the effort and mostly always do.

As you said, they're a given - they should always be there.

But we have lacked the application of that passion until the Arsenal game, where we actually played a high-tempo, high-pressure game.

That also happened in the first half vs Liverpool.

One thing changed - McCarthy's injury - and the entire pressing stopped. Barry can't do it.

Indeed.

High tempo & pressing. Barry can't do it. Yet Barry's contract extension is joyful news.

Indeed.

High tempo & pressing. Barry can't do it. Yet Barry's contract extension is joyful news.

Well I don't mind as you need to be able to mix it up.

Barry is still the only midfielder we currently have on our books capable of stringing more than one pass together :/

Well I don't mind as you need to be able to mix it up.

Barry is still the only midfielder we currently have on our books capable of stringing more than one pass together :/

The second part is true - God help us. The first is opinion. I hold a different one: it surely can't be the case that the entire team lacks the nous to slow things down at appropriate moments. Do we really have a group of learning challenged adults on our hands?

Any road up - this isn't the right thread for GB so I'll stop.

The second part is true - God help us. The first is opinion. I hold a different one: it surely can't be the case that the entire team lacks the nous to slow things down at appropriate moments. Do we really have a group of learning challenged adults on our hands?

Any road up - this isn't the right thread for GB so I'll stop.

Who would you trust to set the tempo of the game out of any of our current midfielders mate...

Ross - can't do it.

McCarthy - can't do it.

Gueye - can do everything, except that. And shooting. He can't shoot.

We literally have nobody else. Stones did it as much as anybody last year fgs

They finished 8th.

Nobody is pleased Khal, but it's a work in progress We're still more than capable of finishing where we targetted this season, which as Koeman pointed out in his first presser, is top 7.

If only it were a "work in progress" Toff :(

In my working life, in the manufacturing industry, "work in progress" meant exactly what it said on the tin can.

Something tangible taking shape as it works its way through the various stages of production.

Thus far we are seeing not one iota of progress....in fact if there was such a thing, EFC, on the pitch at any rate, is a work in regress :blush:

Regarding Klopp and the RS

On the way to staying in 8th place they gave their fans many memorable days, nights and matches as they reached two cup finals, putting a hated rival to the sword over two legs in a knock out round.

They slaughtered their nearest neighbours....that would be us.....and got good results at Chelsea and other grounds.

And that with Klopp spending less dough in his first window than our bloke did in his.

In short, just because a team stays in the same league position as it was when a new manager comes in, it doesn't necessarily mean the season had to be as doggone miserable as ours has become since mid September..

(A period in which, if my maths and memory are serving me as I am losing track here, we have lifted 9 points out of a possible 36 on offer)

Or a "write off" before it is halfway finished, as one of our friends on here seems to have accepted.

That is just not good enough Toff and in no way, manner or form can be described as a "work in progress" :mad:

In my working life, in the manufacturing industry, "work in progress" meant exactly what it said on the tin can.

Something tangible taking shape as it works its way through the various stages of production.

Thus far we are seeing not one iota of progress....in fact if there was such a thing, EFC, on the pitch at any rate, is a work in regress :blush:

On the way to staying in 8th place they gave their fans many memorable days, nights and matches as they reached two cup finals, putting a hated rival to the sword over two legs in a knock out round.

They slaughtered their nearest neighbours....that would be us.....and got good results at Chelsea and other grounds.

And that with Klopp spending less dough in his first window than our bloke did in his.

In short, just because a team stays in the same league position as it was when a new manager comes in, it doesn't necessarily mean the season had to be as doggone miserable as ours has become since mid September..

(A period in which, if my maths and memory are serving me as I am losing track here, we have lifted 9 points out of a possible 36 on offer)

Or a "write off" before it is halfway finished, as one of our friends on here seems to have accepted.

That is just not good enough Toff and in no way, manner or form can be described as a "work in progress" :mad:

Could you not see the marked improvement in the last two games Khal?

When Koeman's system has taken shape this season, we've looked good - or at least were winning games.

So yes, it's a work in progress, and the squad needs a huge lift.

I can't believe you - as such a sound poster - were so ready to jump on the guy's back.

Regardless of pay packet, he needs to be given time. Walsh needs to be given time, and so does Moshiri.

We have made progress in the sense that when our last manager left us, we were 13th.

He made us a mid-table side, and it's going to take more than 1 window - where we had a poor transfer policy even though the players that have been brought in have, on the whole, improved us - and 16 games to change that.

They finished 8th.

Nobody is pleased Khal, but it's a work in progress. We're still more than capable of finishing where we targetted this season, which as Koeman pointed out in his first presser, is top 7.

spot on mate, liverpool(unfortunately) is a good example, both us and them had a slightly mad manager who had success for one season and then left with an unbalanced squad

koeman did have a transfer window but for whatever reason wasnt able to use it successfully, klopp came in mid season but then did have jan window and mixed results for most of the season

for goodness sakes, lets at least see where we are at the end of the season!

The thing about the Klopp comparison though is that Liverpool naturally start off with a slightly better quality of player than ourselves. It's been the case for decades now , their worst teams are generally better equipped than ours. This is now accentuated this season by our previous managers abject failure to improve or adequately replace the team he inherited. It will take time. We need ,if we are serious , to gradually improve on the standard of players we currently have.

The thing about the Klopp comparison though is that Liverpool naturally start off with a slightly better quality of player than ourselves. It's been the case for decades now , their worst teams are generally better equipped than ours. This is now accentuated this season by our previous managers abject failure to improve or adequately replace the team he inherited. It will take time. We need ,if we are serious , to gradually improve on the standard of players we currently have.

Not hard ... we had no quality last night.
After 20 minutes, I couldn't see any tactics at all bar lump it to the big man up top or if you can't see him, boot it out.
It was just awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back