Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
But whether you like it or not power and pressing are an integral part of the game and always were. It's no good having a team of fey wingers shimmying their way endlessly round the pitch only to get felled by 6ft well built defenders before they get a sniff of goal either. Both those elements make a team. It's that blend teams pursue.

Looking at the 'tactics' and the 'catchphrases' Koeman is using...

Big stong lads running around pressing
Direct play

This to me means wimbledon (at an extreme)...

I would prefer power and pace and guile...but lets see.

But whether you like it or not power and pressing are an integral part of the game and always were. It's no good having a team of fey wingers shimmying their way endlessly round the pitch only to get felled by 6ft well built defenders before they get a sniff of goal either. Both those elements make a team. It's that blend teams pursue.
Power and pressing are an integral part of the game, yes. But when it's our only "tactic" it makes for awful football and steadily worsening results. I still don't see where Koeman is going with his non-football approach and all his talk of fitness levels but no mention of skill or quality. That doesn't sound like the sort of Everton I want to see.

It was working up until McCarthy went off. We didn't give them a sniff and, if it wasn't for Lukaku and Barkley's complete ineptitude with the ball at their feet, we might have even had an effort on goal.
I agree it was working as a way of physically battering Liverpool, and plus it was entertaining to see us go after them, but we didn't even look like hurting them.
Agree with you, some of that falls on Lukaku and Barkley.
Bring back Martinez ffs.

The crux of the debate around Koeman is basically trying to allocate how far the mess we are currently in is his fault. While you can always do more to improve things I suppose I don’t hold him fundamentally accountable. In any job you can only be judged when you get your players in. Generally this is the third season.

It is frustrating, as we can see from yesterday we went from being competitive to being overran in a half. We will never know if that’s about players fitness, personnel or tactics. Probably a mixture of all 3.

There is some criticism around the Calvert Lewin substitution. I don’t really agree with that at all. I thought he did pretty well and was in no way at fault for us losing. It will also do him the world of good getting on the pitch. I like that he dropped Deulofeu for Kenny as well. If he can start introducing more young players for underperforming ones then that will go a long way. Calvert Lewin will have learnt massively from the last 2 games.

Likewise a lot of substitutions will be pre-planned. Options can change but I imagine he earmarked both of our wingers being changed around 60-70 minutes. They would have needed a rest. Injuries forced our hand a bit. The Sub made sense for me, Calvert Lewin is good in the air and we only really looked dangerous of set plays, so no qualms there.

My big issue I have last night is his use of Barkley. He gave his best performance in 3 years deeper on Tuesday, yet today he seemed to be deployed in the 10. I will be quite bold in this and say the lad is not a number 10 and never will be. I think you can trace some of his loss of form down to the moment 3 years ago when he started being shunted further forward. I can’t work it out. I don’t know if Barkley just wanders forward, or if it’s tactical, but he has to play deeper. This is not to let a very poor Barkley off the hook, but it seemed odd to me.

He has some big questions to answer now. The loss of McCarthy is massive. Without him or Besic I think we lack the support to Gueye to press. Schneiderlin will help but it must be tempting to recall Davies.

It’s easy to caste all derby defeats as a continuation of a 15 year trend of bottling it. It’s unfair, and more unfair on each manager who comes in who’s held accountable for the previous managers failings. We didn’t “bottle it” per se last night. We underperformed and were characteristically clueless going forward.

Interested to know what 3

Idrissa, Gana and Gueye.....

Seriously though Gueye, Lukaku and Coleman.

I'm assuming Bolasie will never play again and I am not counting the likes of Davies, Holgate and Galloway.

Oh Besic. I like Besic. I see tons of potential in him if he can ever stay fit.

The rest of them can sling their collective hook.

Anyone who expects this squad to be massively overhauled in January and the summer need to re assess they're thinking

We will struggle to replace who needs to be and there is unlikely to be any money available unless we sell the deadwood that is around which I doubt will even start until the summer

The fact Barry has had his deal extended shows we are unlikely to bring major signings in. The 95 songs will continue until older players and dead wood are let go but this club wants to pursue the art of being tight

We cant because of FFP can we?

I suppose we could sell everyone and start again...

Not sure you can put that all down to missing one player.

I think you can tbh. If you're playing a pressing game, it requires everyone to press. Everyone knew that Barry wasn't up to that the minute he came on and Liverpool started flooding the midfield. We kept them at bay still, to some extent but as I say, our forward line gifted them way too many counter attacks and put needless pressure on our midfield and back 4

Power and pressing are an integral part of the game, yes. But when it's our only "tactic" it makes for awful football and steadily worsening results. I still don't see where Koeman is going with his non-football approach and all his talk of fitness levels but no mention of skill or quality. That doesn't sound like the sort of Everton I want to see.
The sort of Everton I want to see is a winning Everton how we get there is secondary. Right now we are some way off I agree, but I see some progress whereas you see only despair. It's just the way it is.

We were completely outplayed for the whole of the second half. Not sure you can put that all down to missing one player.

Tiredness. Gana waving a leg. The team winning the ball and hoofing it (especially Barry). Everyone behind the ball. Wingers on top of the fullbacks.

Klopp was clever. They didn't change tactics and wore us down, made us chase even more. He only made subs about the 80th I believe.

To me our tactics are of a "small" club who's hard work and graft supercedes talent and skill.

I still can't fathom why he cant get us playing football when we should be more defensively "sound" now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back