Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern is that we will still be depending on the bulk of that squad on Feb 1st, barring an absolute blitz for transfers, so it seems it will be a long hard slog until May.

I'm confident based on the display against Arsenal for 70 minutes and the first half last night, that we "should" get a few wins on the board, but it seems heavily dependent on the players turning up with the right attitude, if nothing or little else.

The next two games are critical. We need to win one at least, though my concern is that defeat to Leicester will see morale plummet and then we are ripe for the taking against Hull.

It seems we can't get a result without this blood and thunder approach, all hands to the wheel thing, hoping to nick a lead goal in between extended bouts of frantic defending and no possession. It makes us look like a League Two side playing a cup game against Premier League Opposition. It's bordering on embarrassing how ugly we are to watch and that games have to be endured on an even more tortuous level.

Is it a question of how bad we are? My gut tells me that we are not as bad as what I'm seeing recently. And that is more concerning than relieving.

Right. I watch football for a living, so don't patronise me.

I know full well how the DoF model works.

A manager sets out a style of play and identifies the 'type' of player who he wants, working alongside the DOF to do that.

The DOF then identifies and signs those players to fit that mould.

Let's say we sign Schneiderlin, a player who Koeman knows extremely well and actually played his best football under him.

That's a Koeman target.

Gueye had in the past been sought by Koeman, and Walsh. Bolasie, likewise, had been praised by Koeman as a player he'd like to sign while he was at Saints.

And okay, Sissoko actually didn't start a match in the Euros until, off the top of my head, the third group game - when France were playing a 4-2-3-1.

In the knockout stages, they stuck to a 4-3-3, and Sissoko played in I believe three of the four games.

He was - and always has been, since he came from the ranks at Toulouse - better in central areas, either on the side of a three or in an advanced role like where he played at Newcastle when he first arrived.

He's been shoehorned out wide as he's got pace and power, but isn't a winger.

But okay.
:lol:

He is a knob.

I was impressed by his comments about Barkley last night though to be fair.

I actually dont hate this Liverpool team nearly half as much as I should.

Still hate the fans like...

That's a good point.

There is no Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughes, Souness, Case, McMahon, Ruddock, Fowler, Suarez, Gerard type of hateful bugger playing for them now.

Just as long as Sturridge doesn't get to do that stupid dance in front of us :mad:

I'm prepared to give him until the end of next season to turn things around, but I have to say after a good initial start i'm thoroughly unimpressed with him. He hasn't really done anything to suggest he deserves the huge contract he's on and even though he's inherited this weak minded squad, there are still some talented players in it. Despite that, he's got us playing some of the worst football i've seen us play in the last 15-20 years, which is equally as poor as some of the stuff Martinez served up.

Looking back now I don't actually think it was that bad. We defended brilliantly bar one or two moments and Liverpool didn't look all that threatening. For a team that are averaging over 2 goals per game and have outscored everyone, we neutralised their attack excellently for much of the game.

In the end it came down to our lack of creativity and talent in the midfield/attack.

He has a team of charlatans.

If he didn't know it in the summer, he certainly knows it now.

No excuse, ring the changes. Keep Gana, Baines and Coleman - the rest can go.

Then we judge him a year down the line.

Think everybody including him realises this now. The only one I'm desperate to keep is Gueye, the rest I would not even be slightly arsed if we released on a free.

I think the main changes will be pace and power, away from the slight sideways passers we currently have. If we add to that, someone that can actually play at number 10, and create, we will do well. January needs a few change. The team is lacking energy and grit.

Think everybody including him realises this now. The only one I'm desperate to keep is Gueye, the rest I would not even be slightly arsed if we released on a free.
Gueye and maybe Coleman for me, although an argument could be made for keeping Barry in some sort of role/coaching or whatever due to his attitude and conditioning but yeah the rest can flip off

Cheers Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back