Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't set the standards though Moshiri and the board do. European football was banded about as the expectation for this season, which we are on course for, granted a better showing in the cups was probably part of the expectation but that will ultimately form the basis of his appraisal I would suspect. He has obviously assessed the squad he inherited and given opportunities where he felt necessary and has now offloaded those he feels aren't able to contribute - we don't seem any weaker despite removing squad players. We have progressed from mid table to a team that's viewed as European contenders and a team that's giving youth opportunity, despite the early threads about average squad age. To say a season is over is such short termism given the nature of club development. The end of this season is an opportunity to challenge for top 6 and build momentum for next season, where Koeman will add his own personnel and more importantly raise the clubs profile. Good work all in all, not great but good.
...of course the season's over - why d'you think he's getting shut of half the squad now? Do you think if we were closer to a CL spot or in the cups he'd be doing this? It's his recognition that, indeed, the season ended on January 7th with that Leicester cup defeat.

It's absolutely spot on. We need to restate that and and recognise it if we're to progress. There's been too many managers and owners coming into Everton who were given an easy ride with easy to reach objectives - and we all settled for them reaching them and us treading water. What's wrong with telling some home truths and demanding that they go beyond being average and start winning us some trophies/building us a stadium instead of gabbing about it constantly?

It is what it is at the moment. If that changes then attitudes should change, not the other way around.
What about the last 6 months suggests that this won't happen/is not part of a plan for the club?

What about the last 6 months suggests that this won't happen/is not part of a plan for the club?

The last 6 months suggests we'll be struggling to break out of a best of the rest slot and that a cup is not in the pipeline. And Moshiri et al talk a good game on stadiums but we're still miles off anything happening.

Getting back to the top 5 and threatening a CL spot with enough points should be the objective. Minimum.

But you've previously stated that you'd give him a year, next season, to achieve that. Funnily enough we might just achieve this in this current season. Decent enough for me after us being on a downward spiral for two years.

I know you stated Koeman was your choice in the summer, what's he done for you to hate him so much in such a short space of time.

...of course the season's over - why d'you think he's getting shut of half the squad now? Do you think if we were closer to a CL spot or in the cups he'd be doing this? It's his recognition that, indeed, the season ended on January 7th with that Leicester cup defeat.
By your standards - not by mine or clearly the boards. So I disagree for the reasons listed in my original statement. Progress should be judged on overall performance of the club. We won't raise the profile of the team by winning the League or FA cup, while it would bring me great joy, but we do by progressing in the league to be considered a challenge to Europe. A cup run can be achieved by plenty of teams (Millwall, Wigan) but it doesn't raise the bar or attract quality enough for competition to top 5/4 in the way we need. The league and European football brings that because it shows consistency and prolonged quality.

The last 6 months suggests we'll be struggling to break out of a best of the rest slot and that a cup is not in the pipeline. And Moshiri et al talk a good game on stadiums but we're still miles off anything happening.
We first needed to break out of the best of midtable. Stadiums don't just happen they take due diligence and time. We aren't playing stadium builder 2017.

But you've previously stated that you'd give him a year, next season, to achieve that. Funnily enough we might just achieve this in this current season. Decent enough for me after us being on a downward spiral for two years.

What have I said that doesn't underline that point of getting a free pass in the first season results wise?

I know you stated Koeman was your choice in the summer, what's he done for you to hate him so much in such a short space of time.

I honestly never thought his football could be this poor. Ok, matters have picked up slightly in the last few weeks with the introduction of the presence of Davies, but by and large the style has been appalling. The other thing I dont like is his personality, or what passes for one. I find him distant and very hard to like.

By your standards - not by mine or clearly the boards. So I disagree for the reasons listed in my original statement. Progress should be judged on overall performance of the club. We won't raise the profile of the team by winning the League or FA cup, while it would bring me great joy, but we do by progressing in the league to be considered a challenge to Europe. A cup run can be achieved by plenty of teams (Millwall, Wigan) but it doesn't raise the bar or attract quality enough for competition to top 5/4 in the way we need. The league and European football brings that because it shows consistency and prolonged quality.
You're having a laugh here aren't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back