Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what will that make Koeman if, in all likelihood, we finish 7th on 60 odd points...if predecessors who got 4th place and 70 odd points are failures?

It will see him in moreorless the same place... One year into his contract and an improvement upon the position he inherited.

The big difference will be that sadly for both him and us, his predecessor went backwards rapidly in terms of league finishes while Koeman would appear to be much more pragmatic and determined to continue the improvement.

He will likely be aided by better finances being available for transfer window shopping, but he's already helped his own cause in that respect by the 'clear out' he engineered in January.

Last edited:

So what will that make Koeman if, in all likelihood, we finish 7th on 60 odd points...if predecessors who got 4th place and 70 odd points are failures?
Well that's not what we want either obviously.

But that would clearly be better than 66% of Martinez' time here.

Mate, Martinez had one fluke season (like LCFC 15/16). And in that fluke season, what did we win?

I just feed data in mate. That's what comes out. Is the actual data wrong? No. Your perception is that it looks wrong.
I agree that the data is correct. my point is ,it is selective in that it doesn't paint a very good picture. i.e the starting points for the two managers were poles apart

I 'endured' it because he'd already by that stage demonstrated he could get us a season performance that could take us to the CL. That was hard evidence (unlike the flimsy nonsense about Koeman you now hang your hopes on). And we were were doing well in the cups in those last two seasons and it looked like we could break our 20 odd year wait for a trophy. It was very rational to keep faith. Once the players were lost he had to go. That is my position...which you cant accept because you're not prepared to see anything nuanced in your black and white world.

Must be rubbish there. You have my sympathies.

I'll make this simple.

He demonstrated the so called season performance that could take us to the CL after taking over a 6th place PL team with 63 points. BUT the problem lied here. He then moved backwards after your trophy season and had free-fall thereafter. This club was doomed under his management and thus Moshiri kicked him out because he was not good enough as a PL manager to match our ambition. These are facts...nothing to argue about on this issue.

It will see him in moreorless the same place... One year into his contract and an improvement upon the position he inherited.
The big difference will be that sadly for both him and us, his predecessor went backwards rapidly in terms of league finishes while Koeman would appear to be much more pragmatic and determined to continue the improvement.

He will likely be aided by better finances being available for transfer window shopping, but he's already helped his own cause in that respect by the 'clear out' he engineered in January.
Theres' some exaggeration going on here (not just with you) over his major surgery of the squad. He has inherited one of possibly the best three attackers in the PL in the shape of Lukaku - who is top of the goal scoring charts, Barkley who is a top player in his own right (though not scoring enough this season for me), Coleman who is probably the best wing back in the country, and a handful of youngsters who are top quality.

He didn't come into a car crash in terms of quality. What he has done is get a team together who will work behind the ball. I expected that. I didn't think he ever wouldn't do that, so its been predictable.

What he needs to do next season is add a strike-force worthy of the name. Because we are so Lukaku-centric it's daft.

As said, if he goes we are screwed.

Well that's not what we want either obviously.

But that would clearly be better than 66% of Martinez' time here.

Mate, Martinez had one fluke season (like LCFC 15/16). And in that fluke season, what did we win?
We won access to the Europa league. But apparently that isn't a good thing :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back