Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes-esque on Sunday...who tbf, had a couple of wins there in the Kilbane years.

So, Is he laying Foundations or the Dutch Moyes?

Seems to go 'On Runs' - is this the start of our bad one.

Yep Koeman got it wrong.

We pressed them late on as McCarthy was on and that put their defence under some pressure.

Barry, finally, is done as a starter. He can't be relied upon anymore. At 36 that's no shame, but the manager needs to know this.

No shame at all, but i think while having Barry in the team stops the momentum, it wasn't completely squarely on his shoulders.

The entire team didnt do enough pressing or look half as aggressive as Spurs did yesterday. Even when McCarthy come on (and we all know how i feel about him) i still think we didn't come close to nearly showing enough aggression or press as much as we should. I felt like we where a bit of a soft touch tbh.

They could yes, or we could have pulled it back to 1-1 and changed the whole dynamic. Truth be told, it could have been 3-0 at half time anyway. That it wasn't was more luck than judgement.

I think the gameplan was wrong, and I think it has been for a couple of weeks to be honest. A few weeks ago I think we had the balance of the side just right, but in recent weeks we've tweaked it and it hasn't looked quite as good. Davies is much better deeper in my opinion, I don't think he has the flair to play further forward, he's better seeing passes from deep and putting people away. Gana Barry and Schneiderlin was clearly a case of too many cooks in my opinion, they got in eachothers way and nobody really seemed to take responsibility, seemingly believing one of the others would.

The defeat yesterday was neither unexpected nor the end of the world, but i'll be very disappointed if we turn up like that at Anfield or Old Trafford.

I can't disagree with most of that. But managers can't just drastically change the game plan after going a goal down, we did the right thing in weathering the storm in my opinion. If Joel/Schneiderlin don't gift them the 2nd goal, then we are still in a good position to change things.

Definitely agree that there way too many cooks in the middle. I can't understand why the 3-5-2 has been abandoned after having such success with it. I assumed the way we set up against City would be our template for these sorts of games from now on.

Barry should never start against quality opposition, especially a side as zippy as Spurs. Hopefully Ron has learnt this lesson once and for all. Either McCarthy in the same role or preferably Mirallas should have started for me. This experience will be used to set up better in the next 2 Aways at the Pit and OT.

It's been a while since we tasted defeat so it tastes all the more horrible. However when all is said and done its only a point dropped. Luckily we have a game next week to get back on track and put this behind us.

Look at the position we were in at the time. We were well under the cosh and the defence was looking to press up the pitch.

Having watched it again I'm in no way closer to changing my opinion.

Schneiderlin had a poor game and he should have got rid, but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place IMO.

I am having a little chuckle to myself here, Toff.

I recall me saying exactly the same thing to you a year ago when Stones made the ill advised sideways pass which put Howard in trouble against Swansea and resulted in them getting a penno :)

And you were having none of it.....it was all down to Timmy in your eyes :p

Now, the reality is both Stones's pass and Joel's roll out were probably the wrong thing to do at the time but neither decision should have ended up with us conceeding a goal because both were innocuous enough in their own right but the inadvisability of the act was totally compounded by Timmy and Morgan respectively.

And even Schneiderlin's mistake could and should have been corrected by big Ash.

I have watched that incident many times now and the more I watch it the less inclined I am to fault Joel for owt more than he should have belted it up the field.

If you watch you can quite clearly see Morgan sprint toward Joel as if to demand the ball be played to him and there was (in relative terms) plenty of time for him to deal with it.

In short, there was nowt wrong with the actual roll.....it was neither underrolled or overrolled (if there are in fact such words, where is @deipnosophist when you need him :oops:).....it went right where Morgan wanted it.

And IMO the sensible thing for him to do when he sensed the danger was to pass it back to Joel, instead of playing it to Ash.

No, sir......in this particular courtroom Judge Khal is declaring Joel innocent of the crime against football that was Tottenham's second goal :)

Look at the position we were in at the time. We were well under the cosh and the defence was looking to press up the pitch.

Schneiderlin had a poor game and he should have got rid, but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place IMO.

Well, I would prefer our players be able to take possession in areas like that and find a pass even if ultimately it's back to the keeper and start again.

Either we increase our balls out on the ground and get confident on the ball enough to do that or we will always be looking at too many direct balls.

I think we will see more of that kind of pass now.....especially if its true that Koeman shouted for him to give it to Schneiderlin.....as Schneiderlin looks to be that sort of player and I will be happy with that.

I'll put it down to a hopefully one-off poor game from Schneiderlin.

True but 3 Tottenham players pressed him if he plays it straight back to Joel & we go long we have increased our chances of making something of a long ball taking there 3 players out of the game.

I blame schneidrlin personally but can see how differing opinions Exist

Baines and Coleman were fine yesterday and have been very good this season.

Funes and Williams isn't reliable as a back two as both have very little pace and aren't great on the ball.
Baines was poor yesterday and he doesn't have any fight in him. Coleman tracked well but is limited going forward, his crossing is really poor. Mori is a liability, there is a mistake in him at any moment. Williams could maybe benefit from holgate back in the team but in terms of what Koeman said he wants for next season and breaking up the top four monopoly then the team will need a better standard of player.

Was disappointed with his comments yesterday, we were awful all game.

I've just watched the game mate and now I'm not so surprised with his comments. He dropped an absolute bollock with the team selection and set up so there was no way he was going to throw the players under the bus after being on such a good run..

2 home games now, let's get the 6 points and then hopefully he learns a lesson from yesterday that being negative just isn't worth it and let's go for the wins against the rs and Manchester Utd.

Moyes-esque on Sunday...who tbf, had a couple of wins there in the Kilbane years.

So, Is he laying Foundations or the Dutch Moyes?

Seems to go 'On Runs' - is this the start of our bad one.

Hate to say it but....this has been nagging at the back of my mind since yesterday :(

Not so much because we lost.....but more because of the team selection and the nature of the loss.

Good run to start with....then the bleak run in the autumn...then a great run since the derby.

Baggies is a massive game now.

Baines was poor yesterday and he doesn't have any fight in him. Coleman tracked well but is limited going forward, his crossing is really poor. Mori is a liability, there is a mistake in him at any moment. Williams could maybe benefit from holgate back in the team but in terms of what Koeman said he wants for next season and breaking up the top four monopoly then the team will need a better standard of player.

Mori is a liability. Baines and Coleman aren't.

We'll bring in a left-back in the summer. But they will be to compliment Baines, not replace immediately.

Hate to say it but....this has been nagging at the back of my mind since yesterday :(

Not so much because we lost.....but more because of the team selection and the nature of the loss.

Good run to start with....then the bleak run in the autumn...then a great run since the derby.

Baggies is a massive game now.

Unbeaten in nine prior to it.

Let's see Khal.

He got the team wrong. The players did themselves no favours. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back