Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but 3 Tottenham players pressed him if he plays it straight back to Joel & we go long we have increased our chances of making something of a long ball taking there 3 players out of the game.

I blame schneidrlin personally but can see how differing opinions Exist

I'm not saying Schneiderlin in any way covered himself in glory mate - he didn't.

But the opportunity for that error should never have existed in the first place.

Well, I would prefer our players be able to take possession in areas like that and find a pass even if ultimately it's back to the keeper and start again.

Either we increase our balls out on the ground and get confident on the ball enough to do that or we will always be looking at too many direct balls.

I think we will see more of that kind of pass now.....especially if its true that Koeman shouted for him to give it to Schneiderlin.....as Schneiderlin looks to be that sort of player and I will be happy with that.

I'll put it down to a hopefully one-off poor game from Schneiderlin.

This is true, and they can do - normally.

However, Spurs' pressing game is immense. We were under the cosh. I'm sorry, but you just don't - as the keeper - allow that possibility to come to fruition.

Schneiderlin and Barry were pretty much occupying the same patch of grass yesterday. Didn't work at all, and both were poor.

No shame at all, but i think while having Barry in the team stops the momentum, it wasn't completely squarely on his shoulders.

The entire team didnt do enough pressing or look half as aggressive as Spurs did yesterday. Even when McCarthy come on (and we all know how i feel about him) i still think we didn't come close to nearly showing enough aggression or press as much as we should. I felt like we where a bit of a soft touch tbh.

You're spot on mate.

I don't blame Barry for other players not doing their jobs.

I am having a little chuckle to myself here, Toff.

I recall me saying exactly the same thing to you a year ago when Stones made the ill advised sideways pass which put Howard in trouble against Swansea and resulted in them getting a penno :)

And you were having none of it.....it was all down to Timmy in your eyes :p

Now, the reality is both Stones's pass and Joel's roll out were probably the wrong thing to do at the time but neither decision should have ended up with us conceeding a goal because both were innocuous enough in their own right but the inadvisability of the act was totally compounded by Timmy and Morgan respectively.

And even Schneiderlin's mistake could and should have been corrected by big Ash.

I have watched that incident many times now and the more I watch it the less inclined I am to fault Joel for owt more than he should have belted it up the field.

If you watch you can quite clearly see Morgan sprint toward Joel as if to demand the ball be played to him and there was (in relative terms) plenty of time for him to deal with it.

In short, there was nowt wrong with the actual roll.....it was neither underrolled or overrolled (if there are in fact such words, where is @deipnosophist when you need him :oops:).....it went right where Morgan wanted it.

And IMO the sensible thing for him to do when he sensed the danger was to pass it back to Joel, instead of playing it to Ash.

No, sir......in this particular courtroom Judge Khal is declaring Joel innocent of the crime against football that was Tottenham's second goal :)

Last year Khal, I'm pretty sure i said the same thing.

i.e. - Howard's fault for giving away that penalty with the worst attempt at a tackle/save I've ever seen, and that Stones made the mistake in trying a silly turn/pass.

Yesterday, it's down to Joel initially for me. He has the ball, he's in command (or should be) of the situation.

He can clearly see the entire picture. He can see that Schneiderlin had two Spurs' players on him and that Kane was unmarked.

Now, given the situation of the game, in that scenario I'd have liked the keeper to be more assertive. Yes, Schneiderlin called for the ball and he made a huge error, as did Williams, but that scenario never occurs if Robles simply keeps a cooler head.

It hasn't happened much, and I like Joel. But given how commanding he has been recently, IMO he needs to be in control there.

Bad play all-round, from all three of them.

I'm not saying Schneiderlin in any way covered himself in glory mate - he didn't.

But the opportunity for that error should never have existed in the first place.
I agree. Not sure why people want to pin the blame on one person, it was calamitous all round.

Robles should have been able to weigh up the options in front of him, and realise that rolling the ball to Schneiderlin was not a good idea. Schneiderlin shouldn't have just passed the buck by shuffling the ball 2 yards, he should have kept his composure and dealt with the ball by either giving it back or just launching into touch and giving us chance to get our shape back. Williams should have been aware that at 1-0 down we would want to get on with the game, and shouldn't have been wandering up the pitch with seemingly no idea that the game was going on behind him.

You're spot on mate.

I don't blame Barry for other players not doing their jobs.
I think Mirallas or McCarthy would have changed the complexion of the game if they had started. The problem was that we gifted them goals yesterday which changed the mentality of the game. We became frantic and started making bad decisions left and right which almost led to several other goals. Was Barry most at fault for the first goal? No- Gana let Kane casually stroll into open space and get the shot off. I think his teammates were waiting for him to put a foot in to offset Kane, but he didn't. And yes, we were playing fine until that goal, so to place the blame solely on Barry is unfair. Having said that, we have plenty of players that would have had much more impact on the game imo.

It probably is an overreaction but it sometimes feels like Groundhog Day with Everton, regardless of the manager regardless of the players we see the same traits continuing over decades. If we'd have come off second best in a end to end shoot out where we gave s good account of ourselves I wouldn't complain that much, but come on this was straight out of the Moyes playbook. Bizarre team selection, square pegs in round holes, super defensive set up, players looking like deer in headlights unable to even get a foothold in the game, good players doing stuff wildly out of character. We berated Moyes for doing this with far lesser players but even with better players and a better manager it persists. Complete non performances at Stamford Bridge and v Liverpool at Goodison, smash and grab at the Etihad clinging on for life, same at WHL (could have been far worse but for Joel). Do you really think it will be any different at Anfield?

A common denominator in all this games mentioned was Barry playing mate, derby being the obvious one, even gamectill he entered, after that very like the spurs game.

Not scapegoating him as the problems run deeper by miles but it's one of the factors for sure.other being a poor mentality and a worrying lack of pace - especially at the back

No shame at all, but i think while having Barry in the team stops the momentum, it wasn't completely squarely on his shoulders.

The entire team didnt do enough pressing or look half as aggressive as Spurs did yesterday. Even when McCarthy come on (and we all know how i feel about him) i still think we didn't come close to nearly showing enough aggression or press as much as we should. I felt like we where a bit of a soft touch tbh.

With that back 4 mate away from home we will always sit deep due to no pace. Means any pressing is massively a rearguard action rather than proactive. Huge difference

A common denominator in all this games mentioned was Barry playing mate, derby being the obvious one, even gamectill he entered, after that very like the spurs game.

Not scapegoating him as the problems run deeper by miles but it's one of the factors for sure.other being a poor mentality and a worrying lack of pace - especially at the back

You know I am more than happy for people to scapegoat Barry, he deserves it the geriatric fraud. Sadly we had these problems before he arrived so I can't put all this on him (much as I want to)

You know I am more than happy for people to scapegoat Barry, he deserves it the geriatric fraud. Sadly we had these problems before he arrived so I can't put all this on him (much as I want to)

Generally speaking of a top 4 quality side, then Schneiderlin, Barkley, Lukaku, Gueye and Coleman I'd say are at that level.

Davies, Baines, McCarthy, Robles, are good enough to be in a really good side as very good squad players and not let it down - but not as out and out starters (Davies obviously only due to age)

The rest fall short and are the equivalent of the weakest players in a top 4 side, difference being we are playing 3-4 of them as starters atm.

The summer will be crucial, do we have the money to fix the problems, and are we willing to cut loose some decent players and to replace some players we bought last summer this soon?

Spurs is an easy comparasion, our best players I mentioned would all have a argument about if they'd get in there starting 11, Coleman or walker? Barkley or alli? Schneiderlin or dembele? Gueye or wanyama? Lukaku or Kane...

The rest is no argument really, erriksen or Davies/mirallas, vertonghan or mori, alderweilde or Williams, rose or Baines, lloris or Robles. Dier or Barry

With that back 4 mate away from home we will always sit deep due to no pace. Means any pressing is massively a rearguard action rather than proactive. Huge difference
True but yesterday Davies & Gueye had clearly been told to press & we're attempting. To cover vast spaces including wide areas.

It was a confusing hybrid of two systems & clearly didn't work.

Either sit deep & counter attack or press as a team but obviously that involves a higher line to squeeze the space & reduce the Distance to cover but the defence can't play a high line as only one of them can run.

Felt sorry for Davies & Gueye impossible Job Barkley was doing it before Christmas being asked to press over unrealistic distances due to a poor team shape.

True but yesterday Davies & Gueye had clearly been told to press & we're attempting. To cover vast spaces including wide areas.

It was a confusing hybrid of two systems & clearly didn't work.

Either sit deep & counter attack or press as a team but obviously that involves a higher line to squeeze the space & reduce the Distance to cover but the defence can't play a high line as only one of them can run.

Felt sorry for Davies & Gueye impossible Job Barkley was doing it before Christmas being asked to press over unrealistic distances due to a poor team shape.

Totally agree mate, system was all wrong yesterday as was player selection.

He got it all wrong yesterday with the team selection. As soon as you saw Barry was in the side you just knew it wasn't going to end well.

I guess that's the chance you take though with a manager who sets his side up to combat the opposition. He won't always get it right, and I'm sure when he watches it again he'll have learned quite a bit for the next time we play in such a game.

He'll be constantly learning about the players as well, and should know that central defence is the priority in the Summer. Neither Williams or Mori are anywhere near of the standard required.

I'd have said Robles was doing well lately and maybe we didn't need a keeper in the Summer, and he at least deserved another season as number 1, but now I'm not so sure. In 2 big games, the derby and now Spurs, he's made mistakes which have contributed to us conceding goals. Granted he did make some good saves as well but he'll know he let himself down yesterday.

Given that Koeman very much seems to be a manager who gives players a chance and if they take it he sticks with them, there weren't many yesterday who staked a claim to be in the long term plans.

We were very, very poor, they were very, very good. We crumble against teams in pressure games, so do they, but not usually at home.

We suffered due to poor tactics and team selection compounded by the old problems of bottling it resurfacing again. If we dont beat West Brom, i think the morale fibre of the team will (should) be called into question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back