Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is more than a "slight" concern, Johnny......it will cripple us in the end if we don't kill teams off when we are on top, as we saw versus Spurs last week, as you say.
Correct. Missing sitters and we need more goal scoring threats.
Plenty to do for Koeman.
Even the type of goals we have conceded are the same as last season.

When was the last time we seen a manager change it in the first half because it wasnt working? Be so easy to say keep it till half time and change it if nothing is going our way, but that was a really big call that. Yeah it was obvious that it needed to be done but a lot of managers would hang on till the half way stage.

The basic point about him is that he won't be overawed as Moyes and to an extent Martinez were. He'll be his own man. He's played with Stoichkov, Gullit, Romario, Laudrup, etc.

He has played with the Dream Team and been managed by Cruyff so the likes of Mourinho and Klopp won't bother him. Imagine him gushing like a teen with a crush about Manchester United the way Moyes did when he really let himself down !!!!!

I like the fact that he looks and sounds and acts like a boss. That matters. Players read those signals.

A manager that makes changes when things aren't working out imagine that.Makes a nice change from Martinez just standing there like a dunce in his brown clogs while the excrement was hitting the air conditioning.I said it when he was appointed and i firmly stand over the opinion that Koeman will get us into the champions league within 2 seasons.There will be bumps along the way but i firmly believe that this guy will be our best manager since the late great Howard Kendall.

Ronald Koeman says he will continue to be adaptable with tactics after masterminding Everton’s 2-1 away win at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

The manager started with three-at-the-back against the Baggies but made personnel and formation changes throughout the course of the afternoon.

Koeman confirmed that his decision to replace James McCarthy with Romelu Lukaku in the lead up to half-time was due to tactical reasons.

He later shifted to a more familiar four-man back-line and, in the closing stages, reinforced his defence by giving new signing Ashely Williams his debut.

Everton fought back from Gareth McAuley’s early header to win the game thanks to Kevin Mirallas’ well-worked team goal in first-half stoppage time and Gareth Barry’s 60th-minute finish.

“It was a tactical change,” Koeman explained when asked about his decision to introduce substitute Romelu Lukaku. “We started with three-at-the-back like we did against Spurs last week but when you go 1-0 down, they drop more back. You need a target man, you need to make the pitch wide with wingers to create your own space. From that stage on, we were the dominant team.

“It was the same at Southampton - I believe in different systems for the players, which makes it difficult for the opponents to know what to expect. We have players who can play different systems.

“We prefer to play 4-3-3 but sometimes tactic-wise, you can change. We will continue doing that but you need a basic system because that gives everyone the confidence to play out of that.”

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2016/08/21/koeman-vows-to-be-adaptable

Ronald Koeman says he will continue to be adaptable with tactics after masterminding Everton’s 2-1 away win at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

The manager started with three-at-the-back against the Baggies but made personnel and formation changes throughout the course of the afternoon.

Koeman confirmed that his decision to replace James McCarthy with Romelu Lukaku in the lead up to half-time was due to tactical reasons.

He later shifted to a more familiar four-man back-line and, in the closing stages, reinforced his defence by giving new signing Ashely Williams his debut.

Everton fought back from Gareth McAuley’s early header to win the game thanks to Kevin Mirallas’ well-worked team goal in first-half stoppage time and Gareth Barry’s 60th-minute finish.

“It was a tactical change,” Koeman explained when asked about his decision to introduce substitute Romelu Lukaku. “We started with three-at-the-back like we did against Spurs last week but when you go 1-0 down, they drop more back. You need a target man, you need to make the pitch wide with wingers to create your own space. From that stage on, we were the dominant team.

“It was the same at Southampton - I believe in different systems for the players, which makes it difficult for the opponents to know what to expect. We have players who can play different systems.

“We prefer to play 4-3-3 but sometimes tactic-wise, you can change. We will continue doing that but you need a basic system because that gives everyone the confidence to play out of that.”

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2016/08/21/koeman-vows-to-be-adaptable

Is rather refreshing to hear our manager talking actual sense for a change isn't it?

His honesty is a joy to behold. Even his comments on Holgate - said he was pleased with his performance despite a couple of mistakes.. Praise, with constructive feedback too - that's how you manage players, not by blowing smoke up their backsides even when they were not delivering on the pitch.

I still don't feel comfortable with him!! It all sounds like good footballing sense, but the real test will be when we get beat, if he can't tell us we were phenomenal and that he was pleased with the work rate after a shitty 3 0 defeat then I don't think he is the man for us. I was taught as a junior coach that as long as the team have fun it doesn't matter. Tell them they were great and make them feel good or they might not come back next week.

Look at poor Niasse. I think he deserves a start just for turning up with his sore hand, that's commitment. Koeman needs to start being nicer, its just a game. Its not like they are getting paid for it!!lol

Get the feeling that the players really respect the guy, which counts for a massive amount. They know that he'll call a spade a spade and that when he compliments or criticises them it worth taking note of.

I still don't feel comfortable with him!! It all sounds like good footballing sense, but the real test will be when we get beat, if he can't tell us we were phenomenal and that he was pleased with the work rate after a shitty 3 0 defeat then I don't think he is the man for us. I was taught as a junior coach that as long as the team have fun it doesn't matter. Tell them they were great and make them feel good or they might not come back next week.

Look at poor Niasse. I think he deserves a start just for turning up with his sore hand, that's commitment. Koeman needs to start being nicer, its just a game. Its not like they are getting paid for it!!lol

We're not talking about kids playing in a Sunday league, we're talking about highly paid professionals. The method you are referring to is the one used by El Fraudo - and look how well that worked. If players haven't performed, they need to be told so by the manager - but there also has to be something constructive to learn from. This seems to be the way Koeman works, and I like the way he puts himself across in interviews.

The basic point about him is that he won't be overawed as Moyes and to an extent Martinez were. He'll be his own man. He's played with Stoichkov, Gullit, Romario, Laudrup, etc.

He has played with the Dream Team and been managed by Cruyff so the likes of Mourinho and Klopp won't bother him. Imagine him gushing like a teen with a crush about Manchester United the way Moyes did when he really let himself down !!!!!

I like the fact that he looks and sounds and acts like a boss. That matters. Players read those signals.
I agree, and he's got a CL winners medal. Scored the winner I think. He's the type that demands 100% or else.

Looks like
We're not talking about kids playing in a Sunday league, we're talking about highly paid professionals. The method you are referring to is the one used by El Fraudo - and look how well that worked. If players haven't performed, they need to be told so by the manager - but there also has to be something constructive to learn from. This seems to be the way Koeman works, and I like the way he puts himself across in interviews.
Looks like somebody can't smell sarcasm!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back