Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on FLHD, Siggy is a good player and would definitely improve us

I'd personally prefer Mata, but it's not like anyone making the Siggy shout is way off the mark here
I don't think he would improve us though. I think Barkley is a better allround player these days and I don't see how you could play them both in the same side.

I said he was a good player btw mate, I just don't think he's any better than what we've got, and if we want to move forwards he's not what we need, plus he's 28 in the summer

In an ideal world we would have signed Mata or Siggurdsson in the summer and then got Schneiderlin in January, but sadly we don't live in an ideal world

It was nigh on impossible to sign Sigurdsson in January because Swansea were in a death battle for survival and couldn't afford to lose him. We'd've had to offer silly money to get him then, at which point the Koeman haters would have just declared that we overspent on him

Basically, Koeman couldn't win in the Sigurdsson situation as far as he detractors went, but Schneiderlin was the right move because, despite the number of CM's on the books, history has taught us that two of them can never stay fit, one of them is still young and developing and one of them is ageing and really starting to show it, despite a fantastic career

We needed a good central midfielder, and we got one

Would it have been nice to get Sigurdsson as well?

C21Io0_UkAE6VvZ.jpg

Thanks Cenk

Of course it would, but this is going to take time. I keep saying it over and over because it's the truth. We are not going to get every player we want right away and start playing amazing overnight. This is a gradual process and Koeman and Walsh are putting together the squad they want gradually piece by piece, whilst also jettisoning the players they don't want

This is going to be a long, and I concede arduous, process but we need to grit our teeth and be patient

At least we're in the top half now and relatively stable, as opposed to dropping like a stone whilst Martinez was at the helm

We have stabilised but there's still a massive gulf between us and the top sides, as Sunday highlighted, and it's not a gap we're going to close quickly, but at least we've stopped the bleeding and can now concentrate on moving forward

That in itself is a positive

Last edited:
I don't think he would improve us though. I think Barkley is a better allround player these days and I don't see how you could play them both in the same side.

I said he was a good player btw mate, I just don't think he's any better than what we've got, and if we want to move forwards he's not what we need, plus he's 28 in the summer

To be fair mate, we'd still get at least 3 years out of him, and as Dave said there are ways you could work them both into the side. If we're in Europe we'll need to rotate the starting line up anyway

I'm fully aware of formations, Dave. I haven't stated a preference for any.

I did however ask you for yours which you've swerved yet again.
My only preference is that we have a player who is creative and a goalscorer to accompany Lukaku when we need to go more offensively. That can be a 442 if we're being serious about going for it, or it can offer us a player out wide as part of a 433 who can shoulder the role of a second striker, or we could play a diamond which quickly shifts from 433 to 442 as and when it's sensible to do so....that should be a piece of piss to a manager who apparently changes formations multiple times in any one game.

My only preference is that we have a player who is creative and a goalscorer to accompany Lukaku when we need to go more offensively. That can be a 442 if we're being serious about going for it, or it can offer us a player out wide as part of a 433 who can shoulder the role of a second striker, or we could play a diamond which quickly shifts from 433 to 442 as and when it's sensible to do so....that should be a piece of piss to a manager who apparently changes formations multiple times in any one game.

Sorry, did Dave just advocate us playing 442?

Like, did that actually just happen?!

David K, THAT David K, just said we should play 442?!?!

Oh my word, someone hold me, the end times are upon us!!!

Sorry, did Dave just advocate us playing 442?

Like, did that actually just happen?!

David K, THAT David K, just said we should play 442?!?!

Oh my word, someone hold me, the end times are upon us!!!
We need to be flexible in matches, this is the point. A player like Sigurdsson brings more opportunities to play to get at the weaknesses of other teams.

Take a look at our top scorers table. That'll tell you all you need to know about the necessity of a Sigurdsson type at this club.

Sigurdsson plays as a striker at times for Swans and could easily play with Ross with two attacking mids behind behind Rom or as a secondary striker. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that he couldn't play with Ross any more than Rooney could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back