Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have kids like Walsh, Grant and Charsley coming through and EL games and early rounds of the LC/FA Cup would be the place to blood them as long as the ties were easily winnable against lower league opposition/a 'dead rubber' in Europe.

We're not Real Madrid mate. Four CM with two who tend to hold and two who can press forward is as good as we can get it whilst strengthening elsewhere.

Here's my question to you: how do we keep 6 CMs plus those up and coming youngsters in that position all satisfied? It seems, if last Sunday is anything to go by, we do that by playing most of them!

As said before: it's a numb nuts transfer policy and he's painted himself into a corner with it in terms of this particular position. He needs to prune drastically and start filling our priority positions rather than indulging himself.

If he sells two in the summer (couldn't sell Besic in Jan and everyone else was needed due to AFCON) will he be vindicated?

We have kids like Walsh, Grant and Charsley coming through and EL games and early rounds of the LC/FA Cup would be the place to blood them as long as the ties were easily winnable against lower league opposition/a 'dead rubber' in Europe.

We're not Real Madrid mate. Four CM with two who tend to hold and two who can press forward is as good as we can get it whilst strengthening elsewhere.

Here's my question to you: how do we keep 6 CMs plus those up and coming youngsters in that position all satisfied? It seems, if last Sunday is anything to go by, we do that by playing most of them!

As said before: it's a numb nuts transfer policy and he's painted himself into a corner with it in terms of this particular position. He needs to prune drastically and start filling our priority positions rather than indulging himself.
What part of we've got no more than last season are you struggling with?

Find another angle as this one has sent you down a cul de sac

If we are playing on a Thursday and again on a Sunday I do believe we need 6 midfielders. There will be injuries, suspensions and lack of form to be catered for. Besic is mentioned as a midfielder and he hasn't kicked a ball since last August.

Dave , you are the person who repeats the NSNO motto quite a bit on here.
If, and this seems to be the objective, that we are fighting for a tour four position next season or the one after that then we need guaranteed quality in the team and in the squad in general.

Walsh , Charsley and other home grown players are going to find it more difficult to get into the team, we will need more quality players and the unfortunate outcome is that fewer and fewer academy players will make the team. Unfortunate, but I think realistic or at least that has been the practice at clubs that have habitually played CL football.
That's a dismissal of the way this club traditionally operates. We buy to supplement the talent coming through which eventually provide the club with financial stability...even in the age of Moshiri, btw.

We cant over-populate our midfield with purchases. We are storing up players and storing up trouble for the future.

Last edited:
If he sells two in the summer (couldn't sell Besic in Jan and everyone else was needed due to AFCON) will he be vindicated?
It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. He'll have to. But we're not in a position of strength on their sale at that point. Other clubs know we have to sell a couple.

Koeman has been hasty. Not that he gives a flying one as he knows he's here for a max of about two seasons after this one's over. WTF does he care if we're saddled by losses and/or players who cant be got shut of?

If you really want to trouble the top of the table elite it's vital you have strength in depth. Title chasing clubs effectively operate with two quality teams. The challenge is keeping players happy.

I must admit I don't rate him that highly myself.

He is a good goalscorer with a nice set piece on him. I don't think his all round game is that great. I wouldn't mind him at Everton or anything but wouldn't be going all out to get him either.

Agreed....would be useful squad player but doubt he'd be a regular starter.

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. He'll have to. But we're not in a position of strength on their sale at that point. Other clubs know we have to sell a couple.

Koeman has been hasty. Not that he gives a flying one as he knows he's here for a max of about two seasons after this one's over. WTF does he care if we're saddled by losses and/or players who cant be got shut of?

Didn't really answer my question as per but okay.

Like McGeady, Kone and Besic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back