Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in the blink of an eye, we're suddenly only 5 points off 4th. I don't think we'll break into it this season (especially with everyone above us having games in hand), but we've got the points on the board and we are firmly putting the pressure on those above us. They'll suddenly be looking over their shoulders. If we get the 3 points at home to Hull next weekend we go into the derby and away at Utd on the up.

Koeman got it right yet again today, even with a starting line up which raised a fair few eyebrows. He's done some good work so far this season, I'm confident he can carry it on

Season ended on 7th January mate. 6th/7th/8th doesn't matter. Getting beat last week to Spurs didnt matter and winning today didn't really.

It was my hope we'd use the available time left this season to blood a few more of the youngsters in the academy.
Dave mate what was koeman first season objective set by the board ?

Sorry Dave your wrong. What you are seeing is progress and a team being built, academy kids are being introduced, Davies, Calvin Lewis and Holgate all now part of the first team set up. Still a long way to go but rewind 12 months and we were in free fall, progress and perhaps more importantly optimism has returned underlined by ongoing sell outs.
There's no pressure though mate. When it;s meaningful this lot fall apart. Even when the media upped the Spurs game last week into something like a face off they saw their arses.

As a group of players they are great when the pressure is off. But that's as far as it goes...which is why i say the season really ended to all intents and purposes after we crashed out of the cup.

Benchmark must be Martinez's first season, his second and thirds were disasters. If Koeman gets to that then he's done very well, at the minute he's doing a decent job.
It's a different league now. Spurs and UTD were that bad in 13/14 they both sacked their managers. Martinez was also gifted a very capable squad to which he only added 3 regular starters (Barry, Lukaku and McCarthy) their were certainly more than 3 positions needing filling for the mess that Koeman inherited to get them instantly amoungst Arsenal Liverpool UTD who current occupy 4th, 5th and 6th.

I would say though, that if two of the teams above us currently next season are doing that badly that they feel the need to sack their manager/s and we don't take advantage then Koeman would deserve sacking.

There's no pressure though mate. When it;s meaningful this lot fall apart. Even when the media upped the Spurs game last week into something like a face off they saw their arses.

As a group of players they are great when the pressure is off. But that's as far as it goes...which is why i say the season really ended to all intents and purposes after we crashed out of the cup.
Fairish point but I watched Spurs V Chelsea and City (who were both bang on form when they went to WHL) and they were worse than us. They were never in it, never even scored. Although, they made Spurs work for their goals, whereas we gifted them all three of their goals.

In all honesty mate, this is the big challenge any Everton manager faces (alongside winning tough away games)- which is frankly linked.

At different moments it was very good under both previous managers. However neither won when it really mattered and we collapsed at those key moments. We have a good squad, an excellent scouting and youth system. What we lack is big game experience.

Yet more drivel.

We lost last week away from home to a better side, simple as.

To say our season ended in January when we've been in great form in the league for 2 1/2 months now, is absolute pap as we've now more or less confirmed European football again which is massive progress after 2 seasons in the bottom half under the previous numptie

Dave we're 12/18 months behind Tottenham, pressure doesn't come into it we simply are not good enough yet. The optimism comes from the potential we are seeing and seeing us 3rd since Xmas underlines progress. Season ticket sales will be at record levels, it's not just me seeing and albeit enjoying what is happening.

There's European football to play for, Dave. Season is far from over.

It's not May and there's no need to send academy kids out as shields from critics.

Plus, the kids that he's given a chance to have proved they can stick around. Dowell and the likes are getting their chance in training during the week but unfortunately, at the moment, aren't doing enough to force their way in.

Let them win the U23 title and then they can have another go in the Prem in May.
It's nothing to do with Europe (and we can not afford to be I that ridiculous EL next season IMO), it's over because we don't get a realistic understanding of where we are with this group of players. We know they can't step up and meet a challenge, so them winning games when the heat is off hands us no lessons whatsoever as to what to expect next season. You KNOW what this lot are like as much as I do. Hand them an objective/target and they'll fail.

We've equalled our points total of last year with 30 points still to play for. There may not be trophies available to us but there is plenty to play for. Moshiri is on a mission to raise the status of the club, crashing the newly christened "Top 6" would be a massive step in that direction. The narrative all season has been that there is a massive gulf in quality between the top 6 and the rest. We can shatter than narrative with a strong finish.

It's nothing to do with Europe (and we can not afford to be I that ridiculous EL next season IMO), it's over because we don't get a realistic understanding of where we are with this group of players. We know they can't step up and meet a challenge, so them winning games when the heat is off hands us no lessons whatsoever as to what to expect next season. You KNOW what this lot are like as much as I do. Hand them an objective/target and they'll fail.
Dave remember we get more money for ending 7th then 11th mate

That makes no sense whatsoever

In all honesty mate, this is the big challenge any Everton manager faces (alongside winning tough away games)- which is frankly linked.

At different moments it was very good under both previous managers. However neither won when it really mattered and we collapsed at those key moments. We have a good squad, an excellent scouting and youth system. What we lack is big game experience.
This group of players will be worth assessing again when it gets real again. There's no thing much to be learned from the remainder of a season when the pressure has already gone. We saw that under Moyes often enough: big finale to the end of a season when it was all a bit after the Lord Mayors parade.

Next August we'll see what they're made of. And we'll see what this manager us made of too.

Last edited:

Dave, what are you even going on about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back