Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our previous boss sent us on a downward spiral without either admitting or acknowledging their was an issue.

Koeman first needed to address that issue, which he did. To bin someone after his second season because he hasn't quite bridged the gap of a competitors who have been spending hundreds of millions, the majority of had a 20 year head start in us. Well that's just ridiculous and destabilises a lot

Cmon Chris, do you think football clubs never just make a call and make that change even if the timing is not perfect? Im sure it doesn't always end in disaster as you seem to be hinting. It's like any project if you get a sense it's not going to go where you wanted, better to start it again than prolong the inevitable.

And I haven't said bin him because of that reason. I said I personally don't see him as the manager who will bridge that gap, as shown by his ordinary enough managerial record up to now, and then one more season of just OK is enough for me to confirm the opinion I have already held.

I think a different kind of manager might bridge the gap easier than Koeman, who since the beginning I have said will do OK but not much more and will not win us anything. Which wouldn't be a disgrace as for a long time we have been a club that does OK but wins nothing. However I'd prefer get a move on with a different outlook if Koeman has a similar season again, as I personally don't see us getting much more out of him.

It's easy to say that but I don't know who would just come in and would do better than him instantly because I trust track record. His last three PL seasons record were 7th, 6th and 7th which was quite good. To break the ceiling, I deem we must buy even better players but doubt those names would want to sign at this stage. Having said that, the different outlook is another gamble who might just take away the things he has built...unless he t up big time charlie this season like 12th otherwise I prefer to keep things steady and hoping his third season will finally see us taking on the top 4.

Koeman said judge him on this season when he will have a squad that can compete with anybody in the league.

Let's see how he does.

I'd take 7th all day if it meant we won a cup.

Anything lower than 7th should see him sacked.

true. not easy to judge. Although I reckon if he does impose himself more we will have a fair idea during this season just what way a Koeman Everton plays.

The other two points are more tangible. I'm tired of our stupid headless chicken inconsistent attack and tired of bottling big games. Would be great to see a big change in that area.

The big game thing - I kind of agree, but if we didn't manage to win a game against any of last season's top 6 and finished in the top 6 ourselves, I wouldn't mind, really.

"headless chicken attack" - Again, I'm playing devil's advocate because I do see the point you're making and sort of agree that it's annoying, but really I don't care if we still win.

It's easy to say that but I don't know who would just come in and would do better than him instantly because I trust track record. His last three PL seasons record were 7th, 6th and 7th which was quite good. To break the ceiling, I deem we must buy even better players but doubt those names would want to sign at this stage. Having said that, the different outlook is another gamble who might just take away the things he has built...unless he t up big time charlie this season like 12th otherwise I prefer to keep things steady and hoping his third season will finally see us taking on the top 4.

which again, would be fair enough.

not for me, but totally reasonable

Cmon Chris, do you think football clubs never just make a call and make that change even if the timing is not perfect? Im sure it doesn't always end in disaster as you seem to be hinting. It's like any project if you get a sense it's not going to go where you wanted, better to start it again than prolong the inevitable.

And I haven't said bin him because of that reason. I said I personally don't see him as the manager who will bridge that gap, as shown by his ordinary enough managerial record up to now, and then one more season of just OK is enough for me to confirm the opinion I have already held.

Bridge the gap; the gap is still massive because as much as we spend the clubs above us will always spend bigger; the exception being Spurs and RS who seek to be a bit more conservative recently.

Utd spent £210m on 3 attacking options in 12 months
City have spent £150m'ish on 3 fullbacks this years; around £330m on defenders in the last 4 years
Chelsea can spend till they feel like stopping

It takes stability to slowly build a solid team and progress

If we go and blow another 100m on players in the next few weeks then the manager will be expected to deliver silverware + Europa league spot and a mighty close run on the top 4.

next 2 weeks are critical for the club and the manager.

Koeman said judge him on this season when he will have a squad that can compete with anybody in the league.

Let's see how he does.

I'd take 7th all day if it meant we won a cup.

Anything lower than 7th should see him sacked.

7th in the league is the bare minimum. To see us progress in the league I will be happy with 5th-6th. 7th is the expectation. I am hoping we will finally win a trophy.

The big game thing - I kind of agree, but if we didn't manage to win a game against any of last season's top 6 and finished in the top 6 ourselves, I wouldn't mind, really.

"headless chicken attack" - Again, I'm playing devil's advocate because I do see the point you're making and sort of agree that it's annoying, but really I don't care if we still win.

yeah, that's an argument which goes nowhere. :) I personally do care a lot about how we play and don't see football as just a results business, but that's just personal preference.

Bridge the gap; the gap is still massive because as much as we spend the clubs above us will always spend bigger; the exception being Spurs and RS who seek to be a bit more conservative recently.

Utd spent £210m on 3 attacking options in 12 months
City have spent £150m'ish on 3 fullbacks this years; around £330m on defenders in the last 4 years
Chelsea can spend till they feel like stopping

It takes stability to slowly build a solid team and progress

I can't disagree on that Chris, and I'm not.

However I don't think Koeman is the man to slowly build us and progress to anything special. We just disagree on that, and will continue to until it fails or he makes a real mark here.

Ok. I can't see us breaking into top 4 at the moment unless one or two teams slip up. 5th-7th, certainly but I guess 5th may not be good enough for you?
Exactly
I can't see anybody challenging Chelsea City and United for the top 3
Spurs Arsenal Us and the RS will be there or thereabouts squabbling for 4/5/6:7
Spurs won't spend and have Wembley to contend with
RS will likely lose Couthino and won't get their 2 targets and remains to be seen how they fair out in the transfer market plus have they got a big enough squad for Europe and will klopps pressing game leave them knackered in Feb.
Arsenal , well they are Arsenal you never know what you are going to get
Still buying and looking to buy attackers when they need a CB and a DM
We will just have to see who else we sign and how quickly they gel.

Exactly
I can't see anybody challenging Chelsea City and United for the top 3
Spurs Arsenal Us and the RS will be there or thereabouts squabbling for 4/5/6:7

Spurs won't spend and have Wembley to contend with
RS will likely lose Couthino and won't get their 2 targets and remains to be seen how they fair out in the transfer market plus have they got a big enough squad for Europe and will klopps pressing game leave them knackered in Feb.
Arsenal , well they are Arsenal you never know what you are going to get
Still buying and looking to buy attackers when they need a CB and a DM
We will just have to see who else we sign and how quickly they gel.

This.

Citch and Cheski are like banks. United will sign Matic and continue to spend.

I am hoping we close the gap on the remaining 3. Top 6 will be seen as a progress for me.

7th in the league is the bare minimum. To see us progress in the league I will be happy with 5th-6th. 7th is the expectation. I am hoping we will finally win a trophy.
As you've said, though, it is going to be very hard to move from 7th this season.

Effectively, we've got half a team who will be completely new to the club. It is bound to take time to all come together and see some consistent form.

What I want to see is us going to the club's above us stadiums and giving it a go and actuall winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back