Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you think he must do better when teams like Citch and Chelsea have better squads initially and continue to spend more in terms of transfer fees and wages than Everton? I expect the other Sky4 to follow suite. You call him out to get sacked when he got Everton 7th last season. You must be fury between 2014-2016.

so by that logic do we keep him on for years and years so long as the top 6 above spend more?

no

id prefer we gave something else a try sir, this time next summer if we have a similar season to the last

Personally, I want to see progress this season.

The way I define that is that last season there was a clear top 6, then us, then everyone else. We also did poorly in both cup competitions

This season there are a lot of new players and I think that might mean we take a bit of time to gel.

With that in mind, I would settle for 7th again, but only if we were a point or two away from 6th - that would show that we had made ground on them. I'd also want to see us have a real go in at least one of the cups.

In season three, though, unless there are extenuating circumstances, I'd want to see a trophy and top 6 or a top 4 finish as a minimum, particularly if the level of investment is consistent

so by that logic do we keep him on for years and years so long as the top 6 above spend more?

no

id prefer we gave something else a try sir, this time next summer if we have a similar season to the last

Ok. I can't see us breaking into top 4 at the moment unless one or two teams slip up. 5th-7th, certainly but I guess 5th may not be good enough for you?

Personally, I want to see progress this season.

The way I define that is that last season there was a clear top 6, then us, then everyone else. We also did poorly in both cup competitions

This season there are a lot of new players and I think that might mean we take a bit of time to gel.

With that in mind, I would settle for 7th again, but only if we were a point or two away from 6th - that would show that we had made ground on them. I'd also want to see us have a real go in at least one of the cups.

In season three, though, unless there are extenuating circumstances, I'd want to see a trophy and top 6 or a top 4 finish as a minimum, particularly if the level of investment is consistent

I'd like to see some idea of what the manager wants us to do and how he wants us to play, as I don't think it was entirely clear during last season....which is understandable enough. I think, despite Lukakus goals, our attack has been inconsistent and dumb for too long now and I'd like to see that he can improve that. On top of that it would nice to see us grow some cojones in more of the big games and signal some kind of change in mentality at the club.

If I saw a big shift in the above, then to be honest I wouldn't be looking too closely at what exact position or points total we end on and would be much more able to get behind a manager I currently rate as just decent to good and not much more.

no

I'd take a similar league campaign this year, providing we also properly compete in the cups (it's time to end this trophy drought!). As I've said before, his third year is the season I will expect nothing less then a serious push to crack the top four and anything less then a near running thing will mean failure.

Ok. I can't see us breaking into top 4 at the moment unless one or two teams slip up. 5th-7th, certainly but I guess 5th may not be good enough for you?

I think a different kind of manager might bridge the gap easier than Koeman, who since the beginning I have said will do OK but not much more and will not win us anything. Which wouldn't be a disgrace as for a long time we have been a club that does OK but wins nothing. However I'd prefer get a move on with a different outlook if Koeman has a similar season again, as I personally don't see us getting much more out of him.

So no stability then, just chop and change until we crack the top 4.

Faultless logic

I'm general all for stability to be honest. But as you were with our previous boss, once you know you know. Is that not fair enough?

I am pretty certain in my view that this manager won't do anything exceptional with us and would prefer we try another one.

I might be wrong, and I certainly hope I am.

I think a different kind of manager might bridge the gap easier than Koeman, who since the beginning I have said will do OK but not much more and will not win us anything. Which wouldn't be a disgrace as for a long time we have been a club that does OK but wins nothing. However I'd prefer get a move on with a different outlook if Koeman has a similar season again, as I personally don't see us getting much more out of him.

Who do you reckon would do a better job than Koeman who is both available and willing to come here?

I'd take a similar league campaign this year, providing we also properly compete in the cups (it's time to end this trophy drought!). As I've said before, his third year is the season I will expect nothing less then a serious push to crack the top four and anything less then a near running thing will mean failure.

and I couldn't argue with that. would be fair enough

I'd like to see some idea of what the manager wants us to do and how he wants us to play, as I don't think it was entirely clear during last season....which is understandable enough. I think, despite Lukakus goals, our attack has been inconsistent and dumb for too long now and I'd like to see that he can improve that. On top of that it would nice to see us grow some cojones in more of the big games and signal some kind of change in mentality at the club.

If I saw a big shift in the above, then to be honest I wouldn't be looking too closely at what exact position or points total we end on and would be much more able to get behind a manager I currently rate as just decent to good and not much more.

Thing with that is that it's largely intangible and subjective. I sort of agree about the pattern and style of play - other than pressing more, playing at a higher tempo and making quicker transitions, the "plan" hasn't always been easy to spot, particularly in the opening half of last season. I put a lot of that down to Koeman not having players capable of playing the way he wants, so I sort of tried to look past it.

Thing is though, I don't really care if I can't see the "plan" if we're winning, as I imagine most feel. Similarly, I saw the "plan" when Martinez was here and it simply didn't work in practice, so putting some tangible targets in place as far as positions, points, cups etc etc seems far more sensible to me

Who do you reckon would do a better job than Koeman who is both available and willing to come here?

I'm not an expert, and the market will have changed by next summer. I've said somewhere else that I would hope that now we have supposedly moved up a level, that our management team including Walsh would have an idea on a plan B should this manager not work out.

I can have a firm opinion on the current boss without being entirely sure who to get in. It does not translate that I would be expecting the club to get rid without a plan.

I'm general all for stability to be honest. But as you were with our previous boss, once you know you know. Is that not fair enough?

I am pretty certain in my view that this manager won't do anything exceptional with us and would prefer we try another one.

I might be wrong, and I certainly hope I am.

Our previous boss sent us on a downward spiral without either admitting or acknowledging their was an issue.

Koeman first needed to address that issue, which he did. To bin someone after his second season because he hasn't quite bridged the gap of a competitors who have been spending hundreds of millions, the majority of had a 20 year head start in us. Well that's just ridiculous and destabilises a lot

Thing with that is that it's largely intangible and subjective. I sort of agree about the pattern and style of play - other than pressing more, playing at a higher tempo and making quicker transitions, the "plan" hasn't always been easy to spot, particularly in the opening half of last season. I put a lot of that down to Koeman not having players capable of playing the way he wants, so I sort of tried to look past it.

Thing is though, I don't really care if I can't see the "plan" if we're winning, as I imagine most feel. Similarly, I saw the "plan" when Martinez was here and it simply didn't work in practice, so putting some tangible targets in place as far as positions, points, cups etc etc seems far more sensible to me

true. not easy to judge. Although I reckon if he does impose himself more we will have a fair idea during this season just what way a Koeman Everton plays.

The other two points are more tangible. I'm tired of our stupid headless chicken inconsistent attack and tired of bottling big games. Would be great to see a big change in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back