Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is a very fair thing to do.

Similar to what I did with Martinez after his bad second season, I thought let's see how he does by the end of October November of his third before we start calling for his head if lessons had not been learnt.

He of course went on to be the biggest charlatan of a so called manager we have had since Mike Walker, so that was a painful experience.

The only difference though here, is that Koeman hasn't really done anything wrong yet, apart from improve us from where we were when he took over. A lot of jumping the gun based on an unbeaten pre-season (which seems a bit bizarre!)
You'd more patience than me then...Christmas 2014 / New Year 2015, I was done with him.
Slightly different set of circumstances then and now.
There's only so much wait and see I / we(?) will take... I'm of a different mind to you - Results will make or break him.
but it's all a bit uninspiring at the moment.

I responded to @degsy for giving him time as some have already made their mind up now strangely, which is on the back of an unbeaten pre-season as well, which like I said is very bizarre.

For me he has done nothing wrong and should not even be getting questioned on results.

I bet some will call him out after 5 league games. Those who call him out could be those who wanted to give the clown the 4th season and shouting out load about the second year syndrome back in 2015.

You'd more patience than me then...Christmas 2014 / New Year 2015, I was done with him.
Slightly different set of circumstances then and now.
There's only so much wait and see I / we(?) will take... I'm of a different mind to you - Results will make or break him.
but it's all a bit uninspiring at the moment.

Uninspiring as in what you are seeing on the pitch?

OK if so that is fair enough, but please take into account that 2 of the main focuses of the team (though I am hit and miss on Barkley) from last season have gone, he said he wanted more goals throughout the team and not be reliant on 1 source, so is re-shaping the team and the way they do things.

These things take a little time unless you are buying Neymar's and Bale's of this world and the impact might not be immediate.

If we get over impatient as fans, we basically might as well start wearing black and white stripes and speaking in weird far northern accents.

I am a bit unsure about this season to be honest

I'm worried of second season syndrome, and I'd be lying to say otherwise

However, I think that even if we do struggle early on Koeman will be able to set us up to grind out results should the need arise. I didn't have that same faith for Martinez after his third season

We'll see where we are later on in the season, but I think we might need to buckle up and brace ourselves for a shaky start to the campaign. I'll be shocked if he gets us flying out of the blocks because he's bedding in a host of new players and there's still some players he wants that he hasn't got yet (And knowing our board he might never get them)

Close 1-0 wins could be the order of the day for a sizeable chunk of stretches this season. The fancy football loving brigade probably aren't going to like it, and some of the more vocal armchair fans might find themselves reaching for the remote, but at the end of the day it's a results business and it's a marathon, not a sprint, and if you don't buy a ticket you can't win a prize, we may even win some penalties, I've seen them given, we'll just have to get the ball into the onion bag, can we not knock it? Get into them Everton, deese are [Rude word removed]!!!

No mate; I'd love to visit there because they're so inscrutable and mysterious. But the Island's in the middle of nowhere, so I can't see any trip there as being imminent. Is it Chilean territory?

Uninspiring as in what you are seeing on the pitch?

OK if so that is fair enough, but please take into account that 2 of the main focuses of the team (though I am hit and miss on Barkley) from last season have gone, he said he wanted more goals throughout the team and not be reliant on 1 source, so is re-shaping the team and the way they do things.

These things take a little time unless you are buying Neymar's and Bale's of this world and the impact might not be immediate.

If we get over impatient as fans, we basically might as well start wearing black and white stripes and speaking in weird far northern accents.
Howay man divvn't ah just say that.

I am a bit unsure about this season to be honest

I'm worried of second season syndrome, and I'd be lying to say otherwise

However, I think that even if we do struggle early on Koeman will be able to set us up to grind out results should the need arise. I didn't have that same faith for Martinez after his third season

We'll see where we are later on in the season, but I think we might need to buckle up and brace ourselves for a shaky start to the campaign. I'll be shocked if he gets us flying out of the blocks because he's bedding in a host of new players and there's still some players he wants that he hasn't got yet (And knowing our board he might never get them)

Close 1-0 wins could be the order of the day for a sizeable chunk of stretches this season. The fancy football loving brigade probably aren't going to like it, and some of the more vocal armchair fans might find themselves reaching for the remote, but at the end of the day it's a results business and it's a marathon, not a sprint, and if you don't buy a ticket you can't win a prize, we may even win some penalties, I've seen them given, we'll just have to get the ball into the onion bag, can we not knock it? Get into them Everton, deese are [Rude word removed]!!!

I've said elsewhere that if we put 30 or so 1-0's on the board not too many would be complaining come May.
but i'm not holding my breath.
We've been through this 'yeah, but no, but yeah, these first 10 games were 'hard' before, lets see how the next so many'...and the deadline keeps getting push onwards, (but not upwards)
For the moment it has to be a 'wait and see' piece of string...Different people from Moshiri down will have different views on just how long that string is.

He is what he is.
I said from before we appointed him he was the Dutch Moyes - and that wasn't a bad thing - he will prioritise defence, hard work and fitness over flair.
That is a proven formula for finishing in the top half of the league which is what this club needed after 2 years of poor results.
If you are looking for tactical innovation, exciting attacking football and interesting signings you don't appoint Koeman.
Personally I wouldn't have chosen him, my two choices were Favre (who took Nice to the champions league) and Tuchel (although we probably wouldn't have got him).
Neither are "PL proven".

However given the amount of changes he has made to the squad you'd be crazy to get rid of RK, baring terrible results, this season or next.

Joey straight yes or no, do you rather have the Bobby clown or Koeman?

Fixed.
Rather have had either big Joe -Unsy- or a free available Manuel Pellegrini tbh , but will give RK a chance but we paid 10 million compensation with no prem winning pedigree - Bobby had lost the plot defensively and had to go shame as in his first season a record prem points, hanging on to Timmy Howard two seasons too long cost him his job imo!

So desperate for him to fail aren't you Joey?

As long as you can take the bad results if he does. Don't be moaning if we lose a few, you will need to stay consistent and give it the old "i told you so".

Do not despair though, you are not the only Evertonian on here who desperately wants him to fail, you have company.
No I hope we do great - I wanted that when other disastrous managers walked into the club, it's his team this year we have till august the 31st to strengthen the squad as for I told you so I hope I being an honest true blue would be if it fails who can we get next etc - having reservations, and wanting him to fail are poles apart - been watching the blues since I was 5 in 1963!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back