Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been very surprised at how quickly people have moved to canonize him as a great manager. He did well at Southampton, but not particularly better than Moyes here - who I think we all agree is not good enough. Before that his successes came in the Netherlands. His stint in Spain was definitely a mixed bag.

He was absolutely a top tier player, but to me he's not proved much at a managerial level beyond being competent. Which still seems to be an upgrade for us, but the shouts that we went out and got a 'great' manager seem excessively premature to me. Next thing we'll be putting him up on the side of Goodison and giving him a fully guaranteed contract.

I wasn't particularly keen on Koeman to begin with, and he has definitely won me over with his results so far, but I still need to see more before we go and anoint him. And I, like you, don't think he'll be the one to get us over the hump. I do think he'll be the one to reposition us for that race, but it will be run by a different manager.

Solo lo OK.

He looked far from uncompromising in that press conference today...in fact he sounded very compromised when he was telling the world that he was happy with his board's work in the transfer window.

He's been here a few weeks. I haven't made my mind up on him yet. I hope he's as ruthless as he appears (or is claimed to be by his admirers), but for me he failed that first test today. He needed to be firm in the message to everyone that a shambles like that is not tolerable. He bottled it.
lol

That;s your opinion mate and I respect it. But for me he was too fawning about the board's conduct in this window...AND he left himself hostage to his own words in the near future if things start to go wrong. People will have justification now to say: "Ahh, but you said the window was overall a success and the board were spot on".

It was naive. lacking in strategy and above all a bottling job.
lol

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...urope-Moussa-Sissoko-Tottenham-James-McCarthy

Everton boss Ronald Koeman wants European football: It will be easier to get top players
RONALD KOEMAN has said Everton must qualify for Europe this season or risk seeing transfer targets continue to slip through their fingers.
By PAUL JOYCE
PUBLISHED: 00:04, Fri, Sep 9, 2016

France international Moussa Sissoko rebuffed Everton on deadline day after they had agreed a £30m deal with Newcastle and opted to join Tottenham instead.

Koeman maintained Everton had a “positive window” but knows European football will enhance their pulling power.

Which Premier League hidden gems have the greatest potential growth in FIFA 17?

“What you like to show to players is that they can develop, that the club is growing, that the club likes to win titles and that is not done in one year,” said Koeman.

“That needs time and is dependent this season how we perform. If we reach Europe, which is our challenge, then it will be easier to get these kind of players.

“Sissoko chose a different option but I can’t say anything against the club, the board or the chairman because he did everything to get the player.

Ronald-Koeman-708719.jpg
GETTY

Ronald Koeman admits European football will improve their pulling power in the transfer window

“He was the player for us that we needed at that moment – then the picture was totally perfect. But still without that player the picture is very good.

“I am happy with the squad and the signings. We need to keep going.”

James McCarthy will be absent for three weeks after undergoing groin surgery.

On his showing he's no change from Smith, Moyes, Martinez.

I think the last time we had a manager who stood up to the board was Royle.

That didn't stop you getting behind Roberto?

Just for clarity, your stance on Koeman is currently 50 / 50 (fence sitter)?

Last edited:

Well then I completely withdraw my statement and offer you and anyone else who was a offended a full and proper apology.

Soz lad.

haha - I mean everybody's obviously entitled to their opinion, just think personally you're being a bit harsh in chucking Besic and Mori in there.

Mori had a solid first season, though still needs to improve a fair bit. Besic's only real run in the side came in his first year when he was adjusting to the league. He's been very unlucky with injuries - that doesn't make him a bad player.

Well then I completely withdraw my statement and offer you and anyone else who was a offended a full and proper apology.

Soz lad.

I like you Ian, I always have.

Koeman has a real air of quality about him, a truly world class footballer in his day he's honest and straight in all comments about players and performance.

Everyone said if you could mix Moyes and Martinez you'd have the perfect manager. Koeman could quite well be that blend. Just need to realise we'll probably only have him a couple of years.

...and why shouldn't it be? He's produced NOTHING so I keep a perfectly open mind on him. Only a fool would do otherwise.

Dave why do you have to antagonise people so much? I mean some find it amusing but it's such a pain as an admin on this forum.

You've not long come back from a holiday from the place and just carrying on like before. I thought you were smarter than that, Chico said you were but I'm not sure.

Dave why do you have to antagonise people so much? I mean some find it amusing but it's such a pain as an admin on this forum.

You've not long come back from a holiday from the place and just carrying on like before. I thought you were smarter than that, Chico said you were but I'm not sure.
I was asked a perfectly reasonable question. Should I ignore it? And the feller has just *liked* the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back