Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looked far from uncompromising in that press conference today...in fact he sounded very compromised when he was telling the world that he was happy with his board's work in the transfer window.

He's been here a few weeks. I haven't made my mind up on him yet. I hope he's as ruthless as he appears (or is claimed to be by his admirers), but for me he failed that first test today. He needed to be firm in the message to everyone that a shambles like that is not tolerable. He bottled it.

We've been hearing everything is phenomenal and all sunshine and rainbows for the past 3 years, why is it now a problem?

He's shown enough for me to get right behind him. While I understand your skepticism after a series of disappointments, I think worthy until proven worthless is a healthier place to be for a supporter.

I hope you join us, but I sense a subtle plot.
You're wrong on my underlying attitude to Koeman. Before Martinez was sacked I (in reply to a question about who there is that would be tolerable) mentioned only one name: Koeman.

I have no axe to grind with him. He's a likeable enough feller and a decent manager. It's just that he hasn't done anything remotely like this job and I refuse to go overboard and call him (ridiculously) "one of the best managers out there" when quite obviously he hasn't proven anything like that.

You're wrong on my underlying attitude to Koeman. Before Martinez was sacked I (in reply to a question about who there is that would be tolerable) mentioned only one name: Koeman.

I have no axe to grind with him. He's a likeable enough feller and a decent manager. It's just that he hasn't done anything remotely like this job and I refuse to go overboard and call him (ridiculously) "one of the best managers out there" when quite obviously he hasn't proven anything like that.

You hate him, we all see it, hes done more in the game than compo face Martinez who you worship for winning an fa cup once.

Arteta? Probably the best player of 21st century Everton (Rooney aside), remind me which 'hoof and puff' manager brought him in for 2 mill?

Barry is as influential if not more so; Barkley has far more talent in his locker. That's just from this squad.

Arteta was a very good player, but let's not go overboard. He went to Arsenal and wasn't given a creative role - he played a much more of a recycling role. There's no way that would happen to Barkley if he made a move to a CL spot team. For us he was instrumental, elsewhere in a more talented outfit he was a bit part player.

But the issue here isn't his playing ability it's his coaching ability. If both Wenger and Guardiola badly wanted him that's high praise indeed.

He WILL be shortlisted when Koeman moves on.

He is one of the best managers out there Dave, look at the clubs he has managed and what he has achieved in the game. His stature and credentials are unquestionable, particularly when compared to the last two small timers who we had as manager.

He is one of the best managers out there Dave, look at the clubs he has managed and what he has achieved in the game. His stature and credentials are unquestionable, particularly when compared to the last two small timers who we had as manager.
It's simply not true. He has potential.

Well, he has managed at Benfica and Valencia. Not exactly small clubs.

I agree though he has to prove himself with us. I do think though that the early signs are positive and I have no doubt he's the most high-profile/best manager we've appointed during my time as an Evertonian (admittedly, he's only the third manager during that time).

Barry is as influential if not more so; Barkley has far more talent in his locker. That's just from this squad.

Arteta was a very good player, but let's not go overboard. He went to Arsenal and wasn't given a creative role - he played a much more of a recycling role. There's no way that would happen to Barkley if he made a move to a CL spot team. For us he was instrumental, elsewhere in a more talented outfit he was a bit part player.

But the issue here isn't his playing ability it's his coaching ability. If both Wenger and Guardiola badly wanted him that's high praise indeed.

He WILL be shortlisted when Koeman moves on.
Arteta had done far more with us than Ross has done in his career so far. I think we forget how influential Arteta was here. He went to Arsenal at the end of his career when he couldn't even do it for us anymore.
I'm a big fan of Barkley too, being he grew up in L15 too.

Well, he has managed at Benfica and Valencia. Not exactly small clubs.

I agree though he has to prove himself with us. I do think though that the early signs are positive and I have no doubt he's the most high-profile/best manager we've appointed during my time as an Evertonian (admittedly, he's only the third manager during that time).
Kendall and Royle were the last two managers to win trophies with us, but in reality in spite of what they achieved with us during their time here, they got the jobs via the goodwill that came with being celebrated ex-players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back