Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the blimp on ignore, but i'm guessing it's slating Koeman after 3 games in which we have won 2 and drawn 1?

Oh dear :(

Koeman will go onto be the best manager we have had since HK, prepared to be vaulted.

If we return to this debate in 3 years I'm pretty sure we'll have seen a better win % than 31% (assuming Koeman's still here). It's not too difficult to improve on.

Martinez
played won drawn lost 143 61 39 43 42.7
won
drawn
lost
win % 43%

Moyes
played
Won
drawn
lost
win % 42.1

Royle
played
won
drawn
lost
win % 40%

Well, he has managed at Benfica and Valencia. Not exactly small clubs.

I agree though he has to prove himself with us. I do think though that the early signs are positive and I have no doubt he's the most high-profile/best manager we've appointed during my time as an Evertonian (admittedly, he's only the third manager during that time).
And he was sacked from both.

And he was sacked from both.

Yet didn't exactly fail either. In fact I'm pretty sure he resigned from Benfica due to not winning the league - even though it was against a strong Porto side. He did however win their equivalent of the cup.

At Valencia, they were poor in the league yes, against a huge backfall of financial instability however - and that has been said many times before. And even so, they still won the Copa - so going by your logic for Martinez mate that's a huge plus.

Either way, he quite clearly learnt from his mistakes at those massive clubs (both bigger than Everton, btw) and has improved in the seven years since he was sacked from Valencia.

Martinez
won
drawn
lost
win % 43%

Moyes
played
Won
drawn
lost
win % 42.1

Royle
played
won
drawn
lost
win % 40%

image.webp

Barry is as influential if not more so; Barkley has far more talent in his locker. That's just from this squad.

Arteta was a very good player, but let's not go overboard. He went to Arsenal and wasn't given a creative role - he played a much more of a recycling role. There's no way that would happen to Barkley if he made a move to a CL spot team. For us he was instrumental, elsewhere in a more talented outfit he was a bit part player.

But the issue here isn't his playing ability it's his coaching ability. If both Wenger and Guardiola badly wanted him that's high praise indeed.

He WILL be shortlisted when Koeman moves on.

Dear me. People forget how good Arteta was (as well as Pienaar Cahill and Osman in their prime). Probably why those teams finished in league positions that are now seen as unobtainable. His cruciate injury destroyed him and it's actually a measure of the player he was that even after the injury stripped him of most of his strength and pace he was still good enough to play for Arsenal. Arteta pre-injury was fantastic.

I agree though that if he can make the jump from coach to manager he could be a future Everton manager.

Dear me. People forget how good Arteta was (as well as Pienaar Cahill and Osman in their prime). Probably why those teams finished in league positions that are now seen as unobtainable. His cruciate injury destroyed him and it's actually a measure of the player he was that even after the injury stripped him of most of his strength and pace he was still good enough to play for Arsenal. Arteta pre-injury was fantastic.

I agree though that if he can make the jump from coach to manager he could be a future Everton manager.

I wouldn't say David's "forgot" how good Arteta was mate. Just think about who signed him.

Hasn't got a lot of traction on here, but for me one of the most interesting comments yesterday was 'Sissoko would have completed the perfect picture'.

Seems that Koeman was after him to fill several different positions (CM, AM, WM) in the midfield.

Way I see it, Koeman sees the squad as:

Goalkeepers (3)
- Stekelenburg
- Joel
- Hewelt

Defenders (9)
- Coleman
- Browning
- Holgate
- Williams
- Jagielka
- Pennington
- Funes Mori
- Baines
- Oviedo

Midfielders (8)
- Gueye
- McCarthy
- Barry
- Gibson
- Cleverley
- Davies
- Dowell
- Barkley

Forwards (7)
- Lukaku
- Kone
- Valencia
- Mirallas
- Lennon
- Deulofeu
- Bolasie

You can see from that how the squad is 'set-up' for the 4-3-3 system. He obviously felt that - possibly given the form of Stek and Holgate - the main area we could improve on deadline day was midfield and up front.

Maybe Valencia wasn't the first choice, but at least we got another option in who is better than what we had.

Sissoko, similarly, would have added pace, power and versatility - which in Koeman's mind is clearly what our midfield lacks. So I can definitely see that being an area targeted come January.

I loved Arteta - best midfielder in the league before his injury. 2007 to the early part of 09 he was sublime.

Martinez
won
drawn
lost
win % 43%

Moyes
played
Won
drawn
lost
win % 42.1

Royle
played
won
drawn
lost
win % 40%

Nice but I want that as league games not all games. Also while a goals scored per games ratio went up so did our goals conceded, a huge problem. We also drew far too may games.

Manager Stats show him as W60 L41 D43 Total 144 Win% 41.67

where as Moyes shows

W218 D139 L161 Total518 Win% 42.08

Either way both were not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back