Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people talk as if we're the only team with new players? Yes they need time to gel but they've played 8 competitive games now. I watched stoke play united yesterday and they looked a far more cohesive unit than us, despite fielding 5 new players including 3 who were brought in late in the window.

It's not a valid excuse.
Agreed.

It's just a way of protecting the crap ones.

Also, Keane, Pickford and Rooney should literally need no bedding in, nor do they look like they need it. It's just the signings who are doing a bit poo.

He has to go, hopefully he will be out by the end of the year. I think that's likely as we obviously have no striking options to bail his nonsense out.

I'm sorry to pull you up on this but koeman wanted a striker. He had a list of strikers and the task was then handed over to our director of football and transfer committee in bill and Rob to get one over the line.

The issue here is that the team is set up to play with a cf and the board and dof essentially let him down over that. It's hardly fair to hold him accountable when he came out after pretty much every game so far and said he wanted one.

Hold koeman accountable for his tactics, motivation, player recruitment and the rest but don't hold him accountable for the players the board let him down on, for the second year in a row might I add.

..I've always been of a view that a new manager needs time to bring his players in and move others out. To this end, the transformation has been quite amazing, particularly given how difficult it is to get deadwood out. Because of this, I have generally not given an opinion on players he's wanted. It's important that a manager is left to get on with it and build his team.

We are now in that stage, albeit early in that stage. This is now Ronald Koeman's team and he can justifiably be held to account. Saying that, a team doesn't gel immediately and he will need time to tinker and change. I want to see signs of the direction of travel, I want to see signs of the strategy. There were a few glimpses of decent footballers against Hadjuk Split but no consistent evidence at this point.

Didn't realise as well that Koeman has spent close to £220m on his players in the 15 months or so he's been here.

EDIT: Just been talking to a RS mate, he reckons Klopp has only spent £135m since he's been there, not having that.

Last edited:
10 out of 11 players were his signings this weekend.

It is his team - and it has not been put together cheaply.

The problem I am having is that we are all looking at the lineups selected and saying "that team is far too narrow" before kick off. Then we get destroyed down the flanks.

So if average Evertonian on an internet forum can pick this up then why can't the manager?

Other managers last season said that they matched us "apart from Lukaku and Barkley". We were a solid squad with two difference makers. Now effectively we've swapped those two out for Rooney and Sigurdsson. Whatever strengths they have what they lack is pace/power/dribbling.

I can't really see who a manager who looked at our squad last year and decided we lacked pace and power (and thus signed Bolasie) could lose Bolasie, Lukaku, Barkley and then replace them with Klaassen, Sigurdsson and Rooney. The signings didn't make sense.

Also concerning is we've appointed a manager with a history of falling out with people. Emotional intelligence seems to be more highly sought after - all the best current coaches seem to be close to their players. Doesn't mean they allow players to take the mickey but that they create a happy, positive and focused place to work. Even Alex Ferguson said that in later years he had to ease up as the classic rollocking doesn't work anymore. You end up with players wanting out and it destroys millions of £ of value in players.

I'm not saying RK out. Our finances make top 6 very unlikely but he has to show he is working towards something and we are building. The danger of signing players of Bolasie, Sigurdsson, Rooney vintage is that you have to deliver now. They won't get any better and that is the big worry.

In that home leg we actually played a couple of wingers and looked semi balanced.

He then ruined it by making lots of crazy subs and ended up with an imbalanced side all over again.

I'm seeing nothing so far, not even a game plan.

It brings me back to 'we like to press, we always come to play attacking football' - of which we do neither.

..yep, it's that chopping and changing that confuses me regarding a strategy. Inverted wingers or no wingers; 3 CBs or a flat back four. I'm hoping he stumbles on something, and that might be because if injuries and suspensions. I think we all want to enjoy watching our team play. If we are doing that it means we are creating chances and winning football matches.

Let's all just agree that yesterday was [Poor language removed] [Poor language removed]. Move past it, hope lessons were learned and back our manager 4 league games in eh boys.

Thank God this place isn't a true reflection of our match going fanbase. We'd be sacking managers after every couple of defeats every and a bad run if it was up to some of you lot. GOT becomes more RAWK like by the day with the obsense overreactions to just about everything.

Indeed.

I have said that many times.

Particularly when the Martinez Wars were in their infancy circa early 2015.

And Ossie and Hibbo were never the pantomime villains in real life in the Lower Bullens or the Royal Oak that they became on here among the millennials and FIFA heads, particularly Ossie whom was quite popular among the folk sat around me.

I will say one thing in defence of the GOT Star Chamber, though.

They were ahead of the curve about Martinez.

The matchgoers twigged on to Bobby about a year after GOT guys did.

And as both a matchgoer and a GOT poster, I am thinking they are calling it right about Koeman as well.

I was one of the last to join the Bobby Out Brigade......I argued against boys like @ianefc and @mikeh72 for long enough before the Arsenal game in his last season.

And happen it is a desire not to be gulled again which is making me and many more look at Koeman in a less forgiving light.

Now, I get the argument about the new players needing to gel and that we are in the midst of a horrendous run of fixtures.

They are decent enough comments.

My biggest problem with Koeman is that, righty or wrongly, he gives off an air of indifference about my football club.

To me, he looks like he is running down his contract already.

:(

A lot of our success in the back half of last season was based around Davies Barkley and Lukaku. We actually had a balanced midfield with pretty much a diamond and a wide forward supporting Lukaku. Now two of those players have gone and Davies is not in favour. We've gone from what was a balanced diamond to a 4231 where the deep 2 have zero creativity and the 3 have zero pace. It's also meant that the full backs are exposed whereas last season Davies helping Coleman on the right or Ganga with Baines on the left was a common site. I don't know why Koeman has changed what was a pretty solid formation getting the most out of his midfielders especially at home.

Agreed.

It's just a way of protecting the crap ones.

Also, Keane, Pickford and Rooney should literally need no bedding in, nor do they look like they need it. It's just the signings who are doing a bit poo.

Klaassen has been in for stick from the start but whenever i've watched him (so every game for us) he's done just fine apart from yesterday.

Sandro is struggling but the system Koeman's used hasn't helped him at all. He isn't a lone striker for the Premier League.

Martina can't defend and if he plays it should be as a wing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back