Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Koeman but he has to take the blame here. There is no shame in losing to the likes of Chelsea or Spurs because they are good teams but the manner in which we just gave up. I'd expect mid table championship sides to have shown more fight. We haven't signed poor players but we are playing them in a very poor system that doesn't work for them. That comes down to the manager. He needs to find a way of winning.

It's a good job we get all these class managers who fail but we have the best and knowledgable fans anywhere outside the north east to recognise this. We finished seventh a few months ago and he should be punted in Sept if he can't get half a team of new players to gel instantly.

It's just not good enough lads.
Madness the talk of sacking him in September by some of our supporters
It will also be madness by RK if he doesn't take on board the reaction at half time by sections of the crowd

We have a very demanding and critical fan base, and what appears a stubborn manager... not a great recipe

Sure it will all work out

No, what's amazing is people still confusing people believing we shouldn't be getting absolutely webbed all over the place at home with 'expecting us to be flying.'

The games haven't been easy, we get it. Doesn't excuse us looking like we've never met each other before in my humble opinion.
Half the team HASN'T met each other in a premier league game and that is critical. Training and Europa league is no substitute for Chelsea/Spurs. The first 20 minutes there were signs of good play going forward (and worrying signs defensively).

My expectations are that if we got 5 pts over first five league games with making the group stage of Europa we'd be doing ok. Realistically given the turnover the best to hope for. I would hope we were playing better, but I think not getting a striker in has been our biggest failing.

Last edited:

It's amazing that people expect to see us flying at the off considering our league opponents

Not many people expected us to take apart City or Spurs but the probably did expect to see a team with a shape, players having some idea of what the plan was, and some footballing skill from the millions spent. EFC did not have a shot on target in the first half at Chelsea, or against Spurs.

The team played with 4 no. 10's and not a no.9 and had no width or pace.

Thee was not one moment of footballing skill to lift the spirits and there was one player, Cuco, who should have paid at the gate to get in.

No, what's amazing is people still confusing people believing we shouldn't be getting absolutely webbed all over the place at home with 'expecting us to be flying.'

The games haven't been easy, we get it. Doesn't excuse us looking like we've never met each other before in my humble opinion.

Pin this to the top, it's not hard to see that this is the main gripe.

Despite what I've said in the past, I actually think Holgate has proven me wrong as regards to him at RB. He does better every time he gets a chance there. Fair play to him. I'm not sure I'd move him back to CB at this stage

If Koeman picks Holgate over Kenny, I can't really complain to be honest
Yeah but Williams ffs and he's keeping Jags out, that's 2 x zero = zero.
At least Holgate can run

Not many people expected us to take apart City or Spurs but the probably did expect to see a team with a shape, players having some idea of what the plan was, and some footballing skill from the millions spent. EFC did not have a shot on target in the first half at Chelsea, or against Spurs.

The team played with 4 no. 10's and not a no.9 and had no width or pace.

Thee was not one moment of footballing skill to lift the spirits and there was one player, Cuco, who should have paid at the gate to get in.
As I said I think not getting the striker in he wanted is a huge factor in the shape we saw. He is trying to figure out how to make a lineup work, unfortunately it is easier said than done when your opponents are Chelsea and Spurs. The fact he made 2 changes at half points to the fact he is working to see how the team can fit together given the missing piece.

Half the team HASN'T met each other in a premier league game and that is critical. Training and Europa league is no substitute for Chelsea/Spurs. The first 20 minutes there were signs of good play going forward (and worrying signs defensively).

My expectations are that if we got 5 pts gourd with making the group stage of Europa we'd be doing ok. Realistically given the turnover the best to hope for. I would hope we were playing better, but I think not getting a striker in has been our biggest failing.
Spurs was their 8th competitive game this season, after about 5 friendlies. That excuse doesn't wash.

We're also not the only team with new players, so all in all it's a pretty flimsy argument.

its not even the fact we've played really good teams - and City and Spuds are really good teams - it's the drivvel in the Europa which has hammered it home - poor negative boring football. We can't create chances against anyone

Difference is - some teams like Man United, even if the lose they're still sometimes having around 20 odd shots a game putting the other team on the back foot.

Burnley took 4pts off Chelsea and Spurs...Burnley ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back