Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
FDB: he was the overwhelming fan choice prior to Everton choosing Koeman. I think everyone ignored the fact at the time that - in amongst all the talk of going for record number of Dutch titles etc - he'd actually lost the last two in a row in what basically is a two horse race.

Stylistically he'd have been a better fit to what we had before, and would have simply taken over the method at all levels already at the club as laid down by RM. But he'd have been a massive gamble. And his brother would have been unbearable, btw.

FDB: he was the overwhelming fan choice prior to Everton choosing Koeman. I think everyone ignored the fact at the time that - in amongst all the talk of going for record number of Dutch titles etc - he'd actually lost the last two in a row in what basically is a two horse race.

Stylistically he'd have been a better fit to what we had before, and would have simply taken over the method at all levels already at the club as laid down by RM. But he'd have been a massive gamble. And his brother would have been unbearable, btw.
IIRC Emery was number one choice by fans, hardly anything between Koeman and FDB.

You're bang on the money about FDB's brother, he was whoreing him out on Talksport weekly whilst we were deciding.

I wanted Vitor Pereira.

They're losing 1-0 to the mighty Pescara mate...

De Boer did have a difficult job, granted, taking over so late in the summer, but his play just reminds me so much of RM's at its worst... though they have looked sharp at times in fairness

Just had a quick look at their team. Defence looks awful. Looks ok everywhere else.

He's a strange cookie our David, glad I'm not the only one who's noticed his thinly veiled stabs at Koeman. He set unrealistic expectations for the new manager from the moment Martinez was sacked so he already had an excuse for the inevitable attack whenever the first hiccup happened. He's waiting patiently, and as soon as the first thing goes wrong this season then that's it. EVERYTHING will be put up against Martinez's first season and then there we go, the very first Koeman plotter. He's already very subtly hinting at us returning to "hoofball", just in case we actually are successful, then at least he has "well I don't like the style of play" to fall back on. Imagine that, imagine caring about being right THAT much.
hahaha bang on the money mate, glad I wasn't the only one to notice the obvious positioning going on there

Just had a quick look at their team. Defence looks awful. Looks ok everywhere else.

Yeh their overall play has been OK - just too slow at times. When they've stepped it up and clicked they've looked class, but defensively very poor.

Edit: They've only really improved since chucking on three strikers as well and taking Medel, Perisic and Candreva off.

As I said, just reminds me very much of us under RM in the last two seasons (at the moment)

Icardi getting them out of trouble and Handanovic making about six world-class saves has won them it

Last edited:
IIRC Emery was number one choice by fans, hardly anything between Koeman and FDB.

You're bang on the money about FDB's brother, he was whoreing him out on Talksport weekly whilst we were deciding.

Hardly anything between FdB except that Koeman has managed on the EPL successfully and other leagues abroad whilst De Boar id now just stating that with Inter.

And Koeman's brother didn't behave like a pimp

Bottom line we are doing ok at the moment

Style of football still suspect but I think once we get this pressing game sorted the better football will come

Top marks for the manager....but we know how fickle our support can be, so,hopefully he keeps getting it right

Interested to know where you got this info from Dave as it's not how I recall it.

There was a thread on the forum where you voted for your preferred manager and FDB wasn't even included on the first list. Even when he was finally included he was down in 4/5th choice behind the likes of Jose, Ronald and that guy from Sevilla, who is so past tense now I've even forgotten his name.

Incidentally FDB was my initial preference. I just thought the package of him, Berkgamp and Stam, with Overmars as DOF, was a bit of a sexy dream team. He also liked to play football and had a reputation for bringing players through the system which I liked.

However, once it became clear we weren't getting the whole package, the option of FDB on his own became much less appealing. Plus I came around to the view that we needed a completely different style of manager to turn the team around. I really didn't want Koeman to start with, but I warmed to him and was actually quite pleased when we eventually signed him. Now, I believe we made the best choice for us at the time. He's just what we need.

Interested to know where you got this info from Dave as it's not how I recall it.

There was a thread on the forum where you voted for your preferred manager and FDB wasn't even included on the first list. Even when he was finally included he was down in 4/5th choice behind the likes of Jose, Ronald and that guy from Sevilla, who is so past tense now I've even forgotten his name.

Incidentally FDB was my initial preference. I just thought the package of him, Berkgamp and Stam, with Overmars as DOF, was a bit of a sexy dream team. He also liked to play football and had a reputation for bringing players through the system which I liked.

However, once it became clear we weren't getting the whole package, the option of FDB on his own became much less appealing. Plus I came around to the view that we needed a completely different style of manager to turn the team around. I really didn't want Koeman to start with, but I warmed to him and was actually quite pleased when we eventually signed him. Now, I believe we made the best choice for us at the time. He's just what we need.
Here's the thread/poll here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...cussion-poll-reset-21-05-2016.83876/page-2870 So as you can see, outside of a big surge for the fantasy choice of Emery, FDB had more admirers than anyone else - including Koeman.

I was banned at the time so couldn't post, but I had the same attitude as you over him: fits the bill but only with the team he had at Ajax...because you really dont know what he brings without them. That said I always wanted Koeman out of the limited talent we could realistically attract. He was the best of a pretty dire bunch for me.

Here's the thread/poll here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...cussion-poll-reset-21-05-2016.83876/page-2870 So as you can see, outside of a big surge for the fantasy choice of Emery, FDB had more admirers than anyone else - including Koeman.

I was banned at the time so couldn't post, but I had the same attitude as you over him: fits the bill but only with the team he had at Ajax...because you really dont know what he brings without them. That said I always wanted Koeman out of the limited talent we could realistically attract. He was the best of a pretty dire bunch for me.

56 people wanted David Moyes.
Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back