Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thread/poll here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...cussion-poll-reset-21-05-2016.83876/page-2870 So as you can see, outside of a big surge for the fantasy choice of Emery, FDB had more admirers than anyone else - including Koeman.

I was banned at the time so couldn't post, but I had the same attitude as you over him: fits the bill but only with the team he had at Ajax...because you really dont know what he brings without them. That said I always wanted Koeman out of the limited talent we could realistically attract. He was the best of a pretty dire bunch for me.
Ok mate. Last one I recall had Jose as clear favourite so this must have been reset after he had declared for Man U. Still, I wouldn't say 17% could be classed as overwhelming though. Not getting at you Dave, I just remember being in the minority in wanting FDB which didn't tie up with your comments. Been known to exaggerate myself at times:)

Think your "dire bunch" comment a bit harsh. Apart from Moyes of course. (Hope that doesn't come back to bite me on the bum tonight.)

Ok mate. Last one I recall had Jose as clear favourite so this must have been reset after he had declared for Man U. Still, I wouldn't say 17% could be classed as overwhelming though. Not getting at you Dave, I just remember being in the minority in wanting FDB which didn't tie up with your comments. Been known to exaggerate myself at times:)

Think your "dire bunch" comment a bit harsh. Apart from Moyes of course. (Hope that doesn't come back to bite me on the bum tonight.)
Well, when all the nonsense of Mourinho and Emery was stripped out and the realistic runners and riders were left we had Koeman, FDB and Pellegrini. They were a let down given all the preceding anticipation of a billionaire walking into the club and the general view that we were stepping up to the next level and looking to make a big statement. None of them would have fit that category, as I think this forum reflected at the time.

Well, when all the nonsense of Mourinho and Emery was stripped out and the realistic runners and riders were left we had Koeman, FDB and Pellegrini. They were a let down given all the preceding anticipation of a billionaire walking into the club and the general view that we were stepping up to the next level and looking to make a big statement. None of them would have fit that category, as I think this forum reflected at the time.

We made a big statement in getting Koeman (in the manner we did) Dave

It's not my idea of a big statement, tbh. And it wouldn't have been at the end of last season for too many others on here.

Emery would have been quite a coup. That sort of poaching of a top manager. Koeman remains 'potential'.

I think the Emery talks were more advanced than we think, but once the Paris cheque book got opened it was all bets off

It's not my idea of a big statement, tbh. And it wouldn't have been at the end of last season for too many others on here.

Emery would have been quite a coup. That sort of poaching of a top manager. Koeman remains 'potential'.

That's why I said 'the manner'.

We've been crap for two years. Unequivocally.

We stepped out and went and got the best manager we realistically could - tramping all over a club that has finished top seven for two years running to do so - we didn't poach a manager from a 'lesser' club

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back