Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the players he's brought in fit a wing back system and a 3 man midfield.

Its very much a Moyes like Everton squad of players suited to a 451 imo
This is a good point.

Think the whole team ethos was built up around a providing a quality striker in Lukaku with chances for several years now. Unlike Moyes who never had a proper striker for any consistent length of time so developed a team that was effective without one.

Koeman may need to time to turn us into an effective 4-5-1 unit but I'd rather bring in someone else who is a bit more positive and ambitious frankly and a proper striker in Jan or at worst the summer.

I believe koeman knows the problem with our setup.

What prevents him from switching might be the pressure of having spend 70m on 3 number 10 and trying to force it to be successful.

It will be difficult for him from this point onwards, drop the setup and he will be at fault for wasting our transfer fund.

Keep repeating the same setup and he will get sack due to bad results.

The thing is that Klassen isn't a number 10 and Sigurdsson has played in the position he's playing for us now for Swansea last season.

The problem is, Klassen is struggling with the league and the worry people had with Sigurdsson is his effectiveness on the ball in open play. Both have popped up imo.

Then add to the fact Koeman won't play pace, width, and a few of the young players... you have problems

This is a good point.

Think the whole team ethos was built up around a providing a quality striker in Lukaku with chances for several years now. Unlike Moyes who never had a proper striker for any consistent length of time so developed a team that was effective without one.

Koeman may need to time to turn us into an effective 4-5-1 unit but I'd rather bring in someone else who is a bit more positive and ambitious frankly and a proper striker in Jan or at worst the summer.

Moyes never really had a squad with pace either. What he did have were battlers and a few clever players.

All these sides playing 433 with wingbacks tend to have a front 3 of pace

The thing is that Klassen isn't a number 10 and Sigurdsson has played in the position he's playing for us now for Swansea last season.

The problem is, Klassen is struggling with the league and the worry people had with Sigurdsson is his effectiveness on the ball in open play. Both have popped up imo.

Then add to the fact Koeman won't play pace, width, and a few of the young players... you have problems

The idea that Sigurdsson isn't effective in open play has been debunked about a zillon times. The issue with playing an inside forward is that there needs to be an OUTSIDE attacking threat. Baines will NOT get forward.

Thankfully, the players have forced his hand and/or Koeman has learned a bit more about his team. Think he knows he has to play 2 true forwards, and Siggy behind them in front of Gana/Morgan. One of those forwards could be Rooney, but DCL needs to be one as well. Still think Rooney would be better off the bench, maybe Niasse is the man, maybe Sandro canhelp, who knows? But the Rooney/Siggy inside forwards behind a single CF is just not effective without wide threats.

I think he also realizes now that Jonjoe has to play as he can defend and go forward with pace. Think he will still take quite some time to develop, but he's just a better option than Cuco, especially going backwards until Coleman is back.

Sooooo...that still leaves 2 wingers/middies to try and develop chemistry with our outside backs. That is EVERY much Moyesish. I have hope on the right side. Jonjoe and Tom Davies could be nice. But the left side...ugh. Baines still has quality, but he look either relectant or like he's lost 10 steps. That's either Klaassen or Lookman most likely.

He deserves no credit whatsoever for that today. Set up horrendously once again with no width, pace or energy. Got lucky with Davies popping up with a through ball from a central position when he'd shoved him out on the right, and a player who, if he had his way would not be at the club, scoring twice. Either way, he won't learn a thing and we'll be starting with 3 number 10s and an isolated centre forward again next week. Shocking management.

I think he got it wrong in his starting line-up. The persistent on slow static play is doing him no good. His subs saved us today.

his dead balls have been awful too

The idea that Sigurdsson isn't effective in open play has been debunked about a zillon times. The issue with playing an inside forward is that there needs to be an OUTSIDE attacking threat. Baines will NOT get forward.

Thankfully, the players have forced his hand and/or Koeman has learned a bit more about his team. Think he knows he has to play 2 true forwards, and Siggy behind them in front of Gana/Morgan. One of those forwards could be Rooney, but DCL needs to be one as well. Still think Rooney would be better off the bench, maybe Niasse is the man, maybe Sandro canhelp, who knows? But the Rooney/Siggy inside forwards behind a single CF is just not effective without wide threats.

I think he also realizes now that Jonjoe has to play as he can defend and go forward with pace. Think he will still take quite some time to develop, but he's just a better option than Cuco, especially going backwards until Coleman is back.

Sooooo...that still leaves 2 wingers/middies to try and develop chemistry with our outside backs. That is EVERY much Moyesish. I have hope on the right side. Jonjoe and Tom Davies could be nice. But the left side...ugh. Baines still has quality, but he look either relectant or like he's lost 10 steps. That's either Klaassen or Lookman most likely.

Over the summer it was proved countless times his actual effect in open play was lacking, especially compared to Barkley.

We're not talking about end product with goals and assists, we're talking link up and actual impression on the field. Getting the ball, keeping attacks moving etc. He should be able to do that in that wide position as it forces him to tuck inside.

The idea he's not showing his worth because Rooney is "on top" of him is more down an active player vs a passive player.

Its a big reason why spurs let him go regardless of the "they didnt really want to" shouts (they loaned and sold him pretty quickly)

I think he got it wrong in his starting line-up. The persistent on slow static play is doing him no good. His subs saved us today.
I tink his insistance in starting Rooney is harming us. He should be a bench player. Siggy or Klaassen behind the striker/strikers, and we will score more goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back