Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do get the point, and agree to an extent, I just think he was a realist. Did we fall short because of the mentality or because the team simply wasn't as good as our elite rivals? I suggest the latter.

I am still going with his own mentality.

2008 a good case in point.

We had the fourth CL place very much in our grasp and it all came apart in two games over the Easter period.....a defeat at Fulham and a lucky draw home to Hammers as Dave's lack of belief kicked in.

We let the RS in :mad:

The following season we had a dream start against Chelsea in the Cup Final and he decided to park the bus.

A goal up and only one team in it at half time in the Semi Final v RS 2012.....enuff said :(

Right up to his final season when we we were going great guns in the January, sat around third of fourth and a run of those dear old "favourable fixtures" coming down the pike :blush:

Then the contract wrangle started and both him and the team lost focus as he was gearing up for his ill fated move to Old Trafford.

That said, I would sure have peak Moyes over Koeman any day of the week ;)

We had the fourth CL place very much in our grasp and it all came apart in two games over the Easter period.....a defeat at Fulham and a lucky draw home to Hammers as Dave's lack of belief kicked in.

The following season we had a dream start against Chelsea in the Cup Final and he decided to park the bus.

A

A goal up and only one team in it at half time in the Semi Final v RS 2012.....enuff said :(

Right up to his final season when we we were going great guns in the January, sat around third of fourth and a run of those dear old "favourable fixtures" coming down the pike :blush:

Then the contract wrangle started and both him and the team lost focus as he was gearing up for his ill fated move to Old Trafford.

That said, I would sure have peak Moyes over Koeman any day of the week ;)
I'd have loved Moshiri to have taken over in 2009 after we had finished 5th in the league and just lost the cup final. Moyes loved playing the underdog card against the top teams, but imo it wouldn't have taken much investment at this period to get top 4 status.
Compare it to the mess koeman inherited when we took over is like night and day. Saying that I don't think we have recruited wisely this summer to get a balanced squad. We have spent nearly 150m to stand still it seems. Whereas even if Moyes had around half that figure to invest in, to add to an already talented squad then we really could have pushed on. Everton that springs to mind.

Not really likely to make a difference to our chances of actually winning something though. There's plenty to criticise Koeman over; being less excited than Eddie Howie is when meeting Daniel Amokachi is pretty much irrelevant.

I'd be less inclined to give Howe grief at spending £150mill to play gash footy put it that way

I'd have loved Moshiri to have taken over in 2009 after we had finished 5th in the league and just lost the cup final. Moyes loved playing the underdog card against the top teams, but imo it wouldn't have taken much investment at this period to get top 4 status.
Compare it to the mess koeman inherited when we took over is like night and day. Saying that I don't think we have recruited wisely this summer to get a balanced squad. We have spent nearly 150m to stand still it seems. Whereas even if Moyes had around half that figure to invest in, to add to an already talented squad then we really could have pushed on. Everton that springs to mind.

moyes was a bit crap with money though, a lot of his big fees were a bit meh. He just didn't have the right mentality imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back