Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was hardly a masterstroke taking Barkley off last week. It was absolutely necessary, and Koeman'd have been (rightfully) panned leaving him on when he was playing garbage.
Think the comparison with last season would be that a) Barkley would not have got subbed when he was having a stinker, and b) he wouldn't have got the public criticism he did.

I've got to be honest, I was a bit worried when the manager went public with his thoughts on Barkley but it seems to have got the desired result. He was much better yesterday and much less wasteful with the ball. Koeman was praising him after the game, meaning Barkley will have gone home feeling like the dogs dangly bits. And he will be in no doubt exactly what Koeman expects from him in every single game.

It's scary to think that:

a) when we used to go a goal down under El Fraudo we all knew that was it, the game was lost; and
b) if we ever scored three in a game under El Fraudo, we'd concede four and lose.

Koeman is a frankly astonishing improvement as a manager; not only has he vastly improved us in a shot space of time, but look at how badly Southampton are faring without him.

Koeman has certainty made us a far better team than we were in the last two seasons. However I feel that is because Martinez was so bad for us. I believe Koeman has had to do fairly straightforward things to bring us on, with the exception of selling Stones and buying Gana.
But he has done those things, he has not put a foot wrong since joining us, I have no reason to doubt that he can go on to make more important decisions in the future and improve the club massively.
The next two transfer Windows will give us a good indication of how he is going to get on. I feel the last window came too early for him, we were not an attractive proposition for the top players, if we maintain our form that may well change and the players we target may well want to be part of our return to the top end of the table.

He seems to be doing everything right, I'm sure we all thought Martinez was first season too, the big difference is this fella is still not happy. He sets standards and more importantly we know about them, his interviews tell us fans a lot, whereas Martinez gave the same positive interviews for 3 seasons. When we go behind I don't get worried, I still see a solid defence, and so much attacking threat we know goals are there. I never paid any attention to him at Southampton so never knew how honest he was in Interviews, he just seems to fit us perfectly at the moment.

Was hardly a masterstroke taking Barkley off last week. It was absolutely necessary, and Koeman'd have been (rightfully) panned leaving him on when he was playing garbage.

there were other players playing as badly though mate.

it was the right decision at the right time but easily it could have been Kev who went off.

Koeman handled it like you'd expect a competent manager to do so (and I mean the entire situation, from Monday right through to yesterday's game).

Barkley did very well yesterday and his performance probably deserved a goal. But he shut up all the knee-jerkers who believed that one poor 45 minutes meant he's suddenly going to drop into obscurity.

Charlie Nicholas saying the Arse should be making a move for Koeman,ffs he's only just arrived, but would he go ???
Considering his career as a player, I would presume that his ultimate goal is managing Barca. The question is, does he regard it necessary to move to another club before moving to Barca? His managerial career thus far doesn't show many examples of staying with any particular club beyond three seasons but, in fairness, most clubs are generally much more ready to sack managers these days.

Think the comparison with last season would be that a) Barkley would not have got subbed when he was having a stinker, and b) he wouldn't have got the public criticism he did.

I've got to be honest, I was a bit worried when the manager went public with his thoughts on Barkley but it seems to have got the desired result. He was much better yesterday and much less wasteful with the ball. Koeman was praising him after the game, meaning Barkley will have gone home feeling like the dogs dangly bits. And he will be in no doubt exactly what Koeman expects from him in every single game.

Quite correct that martinez would've left him on to reek the place out, but hooking Barkley last week was a necessity rather than some sort of tactical genius. It was only to be expected.

Don't know if Koeman's said anything to him that has changed Ross' tune, but although he had a decent game yesterday he still wasn't at his best - he can still do much better, but at least it wasn't a sunderland show from him. Any more of them, and I'd expect he'd be benched for a while. I know I would.

Ronald Koeman is just doing what Roberto, should of done last season when things went tips up. Tightened up the defence and midfield. Also I was Bt sport said he's band baseball caps and mobile phones. Baines and Column have the job of defending first attack second. Instead of the other way round. But he's done that without, stopping them from attacking just being more sensible about it.

The football is still nice to watch and exciting. But not suicidal, like Roberto's was. The new signings look great, especially the midfielder.

Koemans 1st priority was defence. How many chances have we conceded so far this season? Very few. He has got the balance correct immediately and the good thing is we are still a work in progress so we know and he knows that improvement will come. We are yet to have our true tests but we have passed all tests so far and that is all we can ask so no one can demean our results this season by indirectly criticising by the quality of teams we have played.

We've conceded the least chances/shots on goal (can't remember which) in the league so far. Granted we've played WBA and Boro who are two of the least attacking sides around, but still a good sign.

When are we putting a mural of him up on the outside of goodison though
Bill's put it up already the Divvy, he'll never learn will he...

zm15pz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back