Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would concur but you would think that a manager who clearly has asked specifically for a bunch of these players would have SOME ideas of how he wants them too play tho.

I mentioned this earlier, if Koeman doesn't last the next manager is going to have a hell of a time fixing this team.

You would hope so wouldn't you?
Not sure I see the ideas but, also not sure a top manager would replace him knowing that he has no money apart from players ins/outs to change the side?

A thing that will hamper him is that he’s not the most personable or likeable of managers to the Everton fanbase. He’s a hard faced pragmatist whose won much more than Everton during the time of his career in football so he’s not gonna throw platitudes at the club or fanbase.

There will be less goodwill and quicker long knives when it goes wrong on the field.

This also extends to his aggressive management style with players which is clearly based on a shouty, tough love method. Managers in any football team (or company) can get away with behaving like aggressive d--ks IF they make the right decisions and if those decisions pay off. Koeman is making increasingly poor decisions and I think may soon lose the dressing room.

He’s a hard faced pragmatist whose won much more than Everton during the time of his career in football so he’s not gonna throw platitudes at the club or fanbase.

The thing is that he is not a pragmatist. DM was a pragmatist. He knew his team' s limitations but sent them out with a plan and belief. We almost all knew that top footie would not be on show but we could nick a point or three. Yesterday, RK sent out a team that has failed time and time again. No winger, no pace, players out of position - Davies on the wing! Two defensive midfielders at home against a team from Cyprus and having spent truckloads!!

A pragmatist uses his resources in a plan that has clear ambitions. This guy, DK, is a chancer. Great player, no question, and because of that he is getting away with it. If RM had picked yesterday's team and had given that performance, we would be having a communal fit.

You would hope so wouldn't you?
Not sure I see the ideas but, also not sure a top manager would replace him knowing that he has no money apart from players ins/outs to change the side?
Oh, i agree. Like @chicoazul said, he is a dour, unlikable person. Which would be fine if we were rolling or even playing great(/unlucky) football. We're literally doing the opposite. I just don't see the reasoning to persist with this. And Im sure people will say "think of the how much we would have to pay him off!" but I almost guarantee those are the same people who were screaming "it's not YOUR money!" when a lot of people were thinking it was madness paying £45m for Sigurdsson.

The thing is that he is not a pragmatist. DM was a pragmatist. He knew his team' s limitations but sent them out with a plan and belief. We almost all knew that top footie would not be on show but we could nick a point or three. Yesterday, RK sent out a team that has failed time and time again. No winger, no pace, players out of position - Davies on the wing! Two defensive midfielders at home against a team from Cyprus and having spent truckloads!!

A pragmatist uses his resources in a plan that has clear ambitions. This guy, DK, is a chancer. Great player, no question, and because of that he is getting away with it. If RM had picked yesterday's team and had given that performance, we would be having a communal fit.
Fair points mate but a pragmatist is not defined by their results, but by their approach in my humble opinion. Koeman is entirely about the result at the expense of performance. He is not one to demonstrate a great deal of risk in his strategy. Suppose it depends on what your view of pragmatism in football management is, which is naturally subjective.

It also is doing a slight disservice to Koeman to compare him unfavourably against Moyes for runs of poor form. I remember start of seasons to Christmas of abstract rubbish from some Moyes teams, although admittedly with a fraction of the resources that Koeman enjoys.

Last edited:
RK has been here a full season and a bit. Lets assume that the Europa League is now over - not a biggie to assume because EFC has to win away from home and that rarely happens. Lets assume that CFC knock us out in the League Cup - not a foregone but nearly. The League remains and the 6 million man has no idea what his starting 11 should be.

Things can change rapidly in footie but I reckon that the Koeman Clan will be having to plan what to with their million pay-offs next summer. I don't think they will be too bothered...I can see the press interview now: 'OK.. I tried.. That's football.. The players were afraid of success..Is the cheque in the post?"

Oh, i agree. Like @chicoazul said, he is a dour, unlikable person. Which would be fine if we were rolling or even playing great(/unlucky) football. We're literally doing the opposite. I just don't see the reasoning to persist with this. And Im sure people will say "think of the how much we would have to pay him off!" but I almost guarantee those are the same people who were screaming "it's not YOUR money!" when a lot of people were thinking it was madness paying £45m for Sigurdsson.
Excellent, excellent post.

We need to have club ownership which is strong and doesn’t let the most shout in the fanbase be the tail that wags the dog. There’s a reason the tail is next to the anus.

RK has been here a full season and a bit. Lets assume that the Europa League is now over - not a biggie to assume because EFC has to win away from home and that rarely happens. Lets assume that CFC knock us out in the League Cup - not a foregone but nearly. The League remains and the 6 million man has no idea what his starting 11 should be.

Things can change rapidly in footie but I reckon that the Koeman Clan will be having to plan what to with their million pay-offs next summer. I don't think they will be too bothered...I can see the press interview now: 'OK.. I tried.. That's football.. The players were afraid of success..Is the cheque in the post?"
This Christmas will mark the halfway point of this “3 year project”. Which is a good point for benchmarking progress.

Will be an interesting time if we’re not progrsssing like as present.

There have been no signs of his favored team selection working. I'd understand persisting with it if there was tangible improvement or signs of it coming together but there are none. If you're going to set up an unorthodox lineup, it better show some capability.

His stubbornness and inability to admit that it isn't working is baffling especially when we look so much more of a threat the last 20 minutes of games when he is forced to make changes that include playing wide players, adding pace, and a proper striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back