Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's shocking the amount of times he starts with the wrong team/formation. Every man and his dog can see we are over congested in the middle with a lack of pace, yet he has pace available to him in the likes of Vlasic, lookman, mirrallas and lennon.

I was firmly in the "keep Koeman" camp, but there are just no signs of things looking better. I can live with not getting results and being unlucky, but the tactics are so wrong and the effort is just not there. With all the talent available the buck stops with the manager and he is not doing his job. So get rid of him!

I think the tough start may have done him a favour in a way, as it gives him an excuse.

Aside from the tough aways we've scraped past Stoke, got lucky against Bournemouth and should have lost 6-0 to Spurs. In the Europa League we've looked poor against Slovakian farmers, got bailed out by a Sigurdsson wonder goal against Hadjuk then looked horrendous in a 3-0 defeat to Atalanta and drew at home to some kebab house employees.

Truly dreadful. I think last season was largely positive, and he may have been let down in the transfer window with wanting another forward and centre back, but the tactics have been indefensible.

No wingers, at least 3 number 10s on the pitch at any one point, 2 holding midfielders at home to no marks, a defence who look worse than anything under Martinez and no plan whatsoever.

I personally wouldn't sack him now, because it'd be premature. But at the same time I don't see how this situation will get much better until at least January, at which point our season could well be over. Unless we're in a relegation battle.

..I can't work him out, I just can't see what he's trying to do. The decision to play Sandro up front was a systematic error yet he says the team 'were scared to play football'. It's difficult to play football without somebody effective up top. We played football when DCL came on.

We played better when Sigurdsson played alongside the striker. Great touch for the Vlasic goal and pass opening up an opportunity for Kenny. It's not rocket science to play the fella where he's most effective.

Vlasic comes in on the left wing when he should've been direct replacement for Davies. He scored his goal attacking centrally, even if he hit a lovely cross for the DCL sitter. Lookman was the obvious choice wide left. Square pegs, round holes.

Bizarre.

..I can't work him out, I just can't see what he's trying to do. The decision to play Sandro up front was a systematic error yet he says the team 'were scared to play football'. It's difficult to play football without somebody effective up top. We played football when DCL came on.

We played better when Sigurdsson played alongside the striker. Great touch for the Vlasic goal and pass opening up an opportunity for Kenny. It's not rocket science to play the fella where he's most effective.

Vlasic comes in on the left wing when he should've been direct replacement for Davies. He scored his goal attacking centrally, even if he hit a lovely cross for the DCL sitter. Lookman was the obvious choice wide left. Square pegs, round holes.

Bizarre.

He knows best, what do we know.

The players know it too.

OUT.

From Brian Porter, toffeeweb

Actually guys, I just looked and Limassol are 9th in their league and there are only 14 teams in it. This rates as one of the worst results I can remember in 59 years of supporting the club.
Ex
Koeman has taken a squad of talented players and turned them into a team devoid of passion, direction and confidence. Even the bloody match commentators could see it and were spot on in saying this was a team who were not receiving any direction from the bench whatsoever. Koeman has to go because he is sucking the lifeblood out of talented players who deserve to be coached in a far more positive way than he is capable of.

The fans booing at the end said it all really. Not even halfway through the season and he has totally lost the plot, refuses to change his as yet unidentified system and is once again blaming the players for his own shortcomings as a coach.

To use an old phrase, it's a bad workman who blames his tools. Well, Mr. Six million pound coach, Koeman, the players are your tools and it's your job to get the best out of them. Their failure is I'm afraid, your failure and your responsibility.

Koeman is quite clearly not capable of learning from his mistakes, hence his continued selection of an unbalanced team with no pace, width or penetration. Again, the commentators mentioned all these things and if they can see what we are all seeing, then why can't Koeman?

More to the point, what the hell is the board going to do about the situation? We have a lame duck manager who, just like his predecessor, refuses to see any faults in himself.

The only bright spot in tonight's game was the performance of Vlasic, a really good find. I had a feeling Koeman's decision to foolishly include Barkley in his Euro squad at at he expense of Niasse might come back and bite us on the bum. Why the hell did he include a player who is out till Christmas at least and who obviously doesn't want to play for us.

His decision making sucks, his tactics are unfathomable and his man management stinks. Apart from that, he's doing OK. NOT!
It's a good point you make about commentators observations. Ian darke and Trevor Francis have maybe only seen us play about 3 times this season and they pick up on too many no. 10s and no width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back