Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 minutes in Toff Rooney was stepping on Morgan's toes trying to ping a 40 yard ball. Now Morgan needs to grow a pair and say to Wayne "[Poor language removed] this is my space and push up". To say he was God awful would be an understatement so anything from marginally better 2nd half would look like an improvement. He's one of the main reasons we've been slow and pedestrian in attack ( Morgan ) yet game after game he's there.

The lack of communication between this side is bloody shocking. No one giving a good old rollicking to each other

Personally I lay the blame for that sort of thing 100% at the feet of Rooney. Lots of better players than Schneiderlein have found it night on impossible to perform alongside Wayne. Both at United and at international level.

Personally I lay the blame for that sort of thing 100% at the feet of Rooney. Lots of better players than Schneiderlein have found it night on impossible to perform alongside Wayne. Both at United and at international level.

Of course mate I'm not saying he isn't to blame either but all he's doing is dropping deep trying to dictate and start up something that the midfielders are incapable of doing. But when hes stepping on a players toes that plager should have thr balls to say "sod off Wayne this is my space"

The manager needs to tell him to stick up top because that's causing issues all over the top of the pitch as well. 1st half Gylfi was stuck on the left for a period then Davies was and there was a moment when neither of them closed down a player becsuse they weren't sure if it was their man becsause it's turned to a free for all up top of moving wherever you like which blatantly isn't working

Of course mate I'm not saying he isn't to blame either but all he's doing is dropping deep trying to dictate and start up something that the midfielders are incapable of doing. But when hes stepping on a players toes that plager should have thr balls to say "sod off Wayne this is my space"

The manager needs to tell him to stick up top because that's causing issues all over the top of the pitch as well. 1st half Gylfi was stuck on the left for a period then Davies was and there was a moment when neither of them closed down a player becsuse they weren't sure if it was their man becsause it's turned to a free for all up top of moving wherever you like which blatantly isn't working

In second half we had at least a little movement. And shock horror, Schneiderlin started hitting better passes forward. He needs a runner. He is a good player. Rooney destroys whatever semblance of a system we are trying to play

Should never have signed Rooney, end of.

With him being the big name + big wage player, Koeman will probably not be given much choice but to have him on the teamsheet each week - apparently not having him there against Sunderland caused problems (If media idiots are to be believed)

If anything, it's Koeman that needs to man up, and tell Rooney to either keep up front, or get dropped (And stand up to the board if there is pressure from them). Instead we seem to choosing the squad around Rooney, and it's not working

Riddle me this my versitle food friend...

In the league so far this season we average 19 tackles per game (3rd most in the league) and 17 interceptions per game (most in the league) ...

Which suggests to me that we can win the ball back quite effectively and regain possession ... mainly in midfield because of Gueye and Schneiderlin ... but those two players both average over 50 passes each per game yet non of those passes are 'key passes' that lead to a shot on goal by another player. Why? Because the majority of their passes combined ~75% are backwards or sideways.

So we get possesion well but then we can't attack because our midfielders can't pass forwards, so even though we have those 3 #10s in front of them they don't actually get the ball from them. Which is probably why Rooney kept coming so deep yesterday to get the ball to try and make something happen.

I can not understand why we keep playing with these 2 DMs. It's also baffling why we keep starting games without any width or pace.

If we start against Burnley with Gueye and Schneiderlin and without Vlasic & Lookman out wide then it's going to be another horror show.

..they are very revealing stats. The Gueye/Schneiderlin has to come under scrutiny for not working, particularly when they have possession. Saying that, I do think the underlying issue is team selection and formation. There is inevitably no out ball centrally or perhaps more significantly by way of width.

Often the only pass is to a full back. Last night the times Kenny had the ball and looked up the line but had nobody to pass to so turned back inside and gave it to his CB. Central midfielders pass to full backs, full backs pass to Centre Backs. The cycle continues. Gueye's distribution is often poor, he tends to knock his forward passes into players with their backs to goal and go for a one-two. Very rarely puts a player in because we don't have midfielders/forwards exploiting the space behind the back four.

It's a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back