Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of pattern, balance and style is absolutely shocking tbh I haven't seen any signs of it improving performance wise either which is a massive worry.

Agree, RK has more than a year to recognize, to understand every players and to build his team, but I cannot observe the pattern of the team and some players are not in their comfortable positions in the matches, and I cannot see any improvement in the past few matches. The mistakes offended in the past are repeat and repeat and I think it reaches the time to change this situation right now.

Of course mate I'm not saying he isn't to blame either but all he's doing is dropping deep trying to dictate and start up something that the midfielders are incapable of doing. But when hes stepping on a players toes that plager should have thr balls to say "sod off Wayne this is my space"

The manager needs to tell him to stick up top because that's causing issues all over the top of the pitch as well. 1st half Gylfi was stuck on the left for a period then Davies was and there was a moment when neither of them closed down a player becsuse they weren't sure if it was their man becsause it's turned to a free for all up top of moving wherever you like which blatantly isn't working

Playing Davies for a half hour on the left side - when he obviously has a very good understanding with Kenny and has never looked anything other than bleh on the left side cutting in, Rooney playing and Sigurdsson looks dire, soon as he went off in both games - sigurdsson starts becoming a factor and looking quality - no coincidence, Kenny getting the nod then the formation and tactics dictate he has absolutely no one ahead of him in the game and thus can't really get forward which is his natural game - soon as he had a bot of support over there he started looking twice as good.

Sandro and Klassen both getting minutes - when both look absolutely shot of confidence and are error prone

Rooney playing when he looks god damned awful - given what he is supposed to be doing - not trying to go everywhere trying to get involved but actually holding his position - which frankly given his experience and age he should be able to hold a damned position - lets face it under Ferguson he stuck to what role he was given - under Moyes, LVG and now Koeman he just goes where he feels - is that because he realises he can do with these managers and under Ferguson he'd have been bombed out the team if he ignored his instructions?

We bought badly in the summer - NOT bad players but players badly suited to what we needed and to each other, now we are compounding that by playing them all and wrecking any semblance of what we are trying to do, which frankly i have zero idea what exactly we are trying to do now.

Players haven't a clue whose responsibility various positions on the pitch are, it's made worse by players moving out of shape with and without the ball and leaving us looking horribly disorganised in both attacking and defending.

Koeman 'may' sort it out - who knows, but if he does all he will be doing is fixing his own actual mistakes he has made in the first place.

Wouldn't be upset at all if we binned him in the international break and got Ancelloti in - both are effectively stop gap managers - but at least one of them would sort a shape and system out at least.

4 minutes in Toff Rooney was stepping on Morgan's toes trying to ping a 40 yard ball. Now Morgan needs to grow a pair and say to Wayne "[Poor language removed] this is my space and push up". To say he was God awful would be an understatement so anything from marginally better 2nd half would look like an improvement. He's one of the main reasons we've been slow and pedestrian in attack ( Morgan ) yet game after game he's there.

The lack of communication between this side is bloody shocking. No one giving a good old rollicking to each other

He stepped up markedly in the second half mate and yeh, while not brilliant, looked a lot nearer to his old self.

Rooney should be dropped or played as a striker. There's no two ways about it. He isn't a number 10. He's a striker.

I'd even happily see DCL played in a role like he did at City (basically as a kind of wide striker) with Rooney in the middle and Vlasic on the other side against Burnley. Sigurdsson ahead of Davies and Gueye/Schneiderlin.

Niasse to come off the bench.

But i'm pretty sure Koeman will revert to type. If he does he deserves everything he gets.

..they are very revealing stats. The Gueye/Schneiderlin has to come under scrutiny for not working, particularly when they have possession. Saying that, I do think the underlying issue is team selection and formation. There is inevitably no out ball centrally or perhaps more significantly by way of width.

Often the only pass is to a full back. Last night the times Kenny had the ball and looked up the line but had nobody to pass to so turned back inside and gave it to his CB. Central midfielders pass to full backs, full backs pass to Centre Backs. The cycle continues. Gueye's distribution is often poor, he tends to knock his forward passes into players with their backs to goal and go for a one-two. Very rarely puts a player in because we don't have midfielders/forwards exploiting the space behind the back four.

It's a mess.

Last night Kenny got to understand the problem Baines has faced for the past 3 seasons

manager talks about players being afraid, forgive me but does being afraid completely change our width or the fact we are playing players who don't have a clue about what position they are supposed to mbe playing or what role.

Also funny how the being afraid seemed to change when we brought on a 19yo lad from croatia, or is that more a sign that we started changing shape a little after that, same when DCL came on - we started getting better shape again.

Be interesting if we binned this bloke and brought in a different manager - if that 'being afraid' would suddenly disappear as we changed system and shape...

He stepped up markedly in the second half mate and yeh, while not brilliant, looked a lot nearer to his old self.

Rooney should be dropped or played as a striker. There's no two ways about it. He isn't a number 10. He's a striker.

I'd even happily see DCL played in a role like he did at City (basically as a kind of wide striker) with Rooney in the middle and Vlasic on the other side against Burnley. Sigurdsson ahead of Davies and Gueye/Schneiderlin.

But i'm pretty sure Koeman will revert to type. If he does he deserves everything he gets.

Totally agree, stay up top otherwise you'll be dropped should be what he's told.

Can't play Rooney as a striker mate, he can't keep his position and will just drop deep and same problems occur

Rooney needs dropping, as does Klassen, and give the focus onto Sigurdsson - i'm sure we would see a marked improvement to the way we play, Same - both Gueye and Schneiderlin can't play well together - one needs dropping and I'd like to see Gueye being the one dropped for a period

Like to see Davies, Vlasic and Lookman all in from the start, DCL needs to start as well

Koeman won't be here next season. I'd even bet he's gone before the final game. I think he's the type to walk...
Not on the money we pay him, no chance, he'll have seen the Martinez pay off and thought I'll have some of that if it all goes tits up, he'll walk away with 15m+ if push him out the door.

Even allowing for settling in time and all that, I don't believe at all that we are as bad as performances and results suggest so far this season, and towards the end of last, and that is on Koeman.

We are certainly not as good, or going to be, as perhaps the pre-season optimism suggested, before, we failed to sign a striker, and equally as crucially now, another defender.

For me, it just looks like the players are not keen on playing for Koeman, and the comatose manner in which we start games, giving ourselves mountains to climb in the process, lends credence to that view.

More often than not, I do not see a group of lads fighting for each other and the shirt, or anything half approaching it. Everything else flows from that as a basic starting point. There is just a pervasive air of not caring.

This run and malaise has gone on long enough already, and once again, that, IMO, comes down to the manager.

Got to be under real pressure, the football is dire, its like watching paint dry.
As soon as I had seen the team last night you knew what we were in for, it hasn't worked all season only glimmer of hope we have had has been when sub's have come on and that formation has had to be binned, its unproductive, boring, slow and offers nothing but he keeps with it, normally I would say give him till the end of the season, but if he insistence with sticking with this stale, predictable rubbish the sooner he is gone the better..

Aboslutely not. The D of F has the biggest say.

Why would the manager have the bigger say? He coaches the team. Rip him for tactics, fine, although it's hard to rip him for playing Holgate and Williams, which was the issue tonight, not any tactical errors.
Not at Everton, that's clear from the players we've signed and Walsh's comments in the Echo a while back.

Playing Davies for a half hour on the left side - when he obviously has a very good understanding with Kenny and has never looked anything other than bleh on the left side cutting in, Rooney playing and Sigurdsson looks dire, soon as he went off in both games - sigurdsson starts becoming a factor and looking quality - no coincidence, Kenny getting the nod then the formation and tactics dictate he has absolutely no one ahead of him in the game and thus can't really get forward which is his natural game - soon as he had a bot of support over there he started looking twice as good.

Sandro and Klassen both getting minutes - when both look absolutely shot of confidence and are error prone

Rooney playing when he looks god damned awful - given what he is supposed to be doing - not trying to go everywhere trying to get involved but actually holding his position - which frankly given his experience and age he should be able to hold a damned position - lets face it under Ferguson he stuck to what role he was given - under Moyes, LVG and now Koeman he just goes where he feels - is that because he realises he can do with these managers and under Ferguson he'd have been bombed out the team if he ignored his instructions?

We bought badly in the summer - NOT bad players but players badly suited to what we needed and to each other, now we are compounding that by playing them all and wrecking any semblance of what we are trying to do, which frankly i have zero idea what exactly we are trying to do now.

Players haven't a clue whose responsibility various positions on the pitch are, it's made worse by players moving out of shape with and without the ball and leaving us looking horribly disorganised in both attacking and defending.

Koeman 'may' sort it out - who knows, but if he does all he will be doing is fixing his own actual mistakes he has made in the first place.

Wouldn't be upset at all if we binned him in the international break and got Ancelloti in - both are effectively stop gap managers - but at least one of them would sort a shape and system out at least.

The thing is Ste he had the bloody players available to play in the correct system.

Why can't we go 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 because that's the squad of players we have capable of playing it

Lennon, Mirallas, Lookman and Vlasic all offer width, direct running, pace and/or trickery. As soon as Vlasic came on Baines'game improved massively ( I'll say this quietly but he looked as close to a Pienaar replacement as I've seen in a long time with his great close control, willingness to cut in but also double up with Baines ). Mirallas or Lookman would have helped Kennys game 10fold. Pick one if Idrissa and Morgan and one of Davies or Davy and that's the midfield 2 and then up top Gylfi or Rooney behind Lewin or Sandro right up top with Lewin or Rooney up top with Lewin

You pick a side according to what you have available, not shoehorn every player intoba system that continues to look flawed time and time again.

Awful management of this squad this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back