Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's been sulking since the window ended. And it's translating to the players. He stated numerous times publicly that he wanted a striker and a left sided defender, maybe even cover for Baines. He didn't get any of that.

As a manager he's always had runs where the side doesn't seem to pick up any wins and then suddenly it'll turn and he'll go on a mad title form run. IMO Given his character my guess is that when things aren't going how he expects, he sulks. He didn't get what he wanted in the Summer, which created friction between him and the club, and that's now translated on to the players. He's trying to use the more established experienced players to help get through this, but they're the ones letting him down the most.

I think its longer than that. He's been sulking since Moshi's money 'forced' him and his Mrs north of southampton

Only a couple of seasons ago the cries were for Martinez to go and to get 'someone like Koeman' in. Has he become a bad manager over night or is this bad spell a blip when set against 3 very strong seasons in the prem?
Do you have to be a bad manager to get sacked though? Sometimes things just go a bit pear shaped, and at this moment in time things have gone very pear shaped indeed for us. 13 games in and I'm not even sure you could get 90 good minutes if you put the whole thing together. He should get a bit more time, but there should be real pressure on him now. He has to turn this around very quickly.

For those calling for Ancelotti, I'd be a little cautious. Great manager obviously, but a great 'top-level' manager. The last time he coached a team that wasn't one of the best in Europe was 1996. That has very, very different requirements to a team with a middling squad trying to break into the CL places.

It also means he might just laugh in our faces.

On the other hand, he might make it much easier to buy better players. But I still think a young, exciting, progressive coach is the way forward. That's the model used by the most overperforming teams in Europe like Leipzig and Monaco.
Completely agree with this, which is why I'd give Unsworth a go in a caretaker role. If he isn't up to it then appoint someone who fits that profile in the summer.

Only a couple of seasons ago the cries were for Martinez to go and to get 'someone like Koeman' in. Has he become a bad manager over night or is this bad spell a blip when set against 3 very strong seasons in the prem?

I must say Dom, I have no recollection of people suggesting Koeman as a replacement when it became obvious that Bobby was on borrowed time :blush:

(not saying his name was not mentioned....just that I don't recall any)

And when he became a leading candidate to replace Bobby after the firing, there was no great wave of enthusiasm for Koeman among our friends on here.

Something else to consider is, Koeman clearly sees us as a short term thing - why shouldn't we see him in the same way?
Agreed. I said the same thing when he only penned a three deal deal. I'm adamant that if Barca actually did make an approach for Koeman he would have jumped at the chance.

All this talk of sacking him already is embarrassing. The man needs time, he's practically bought a whole new team. Once our players bed in and he gets the right 11, we'll be class.

I can't agree, we haven't go the right player balance in the team, no pace, no width, no second option up front. regardless of time and bedding in these won't change until January (highly unlikely) or pre season once we can try and buy the correct players.

It does seem harsh to calling for him to be sacked but our football is dire, slow, passionless and very very boring. He is doing very little except ballsing it up and coming across poorly at the same time.

He can have a few more games but if we fail badly in the next 8 weeks he will have to go.

He's not getting sacked, the last manager had to humiliate us against our local rivals get beat at Wembley and then put out some of the worst performances in our history, he's got at least until we go out the fa cup.

But the last manager has not use nearly 150m a season to recruit the players, I don't think our performance at present is better than that under Moyes and Martínez, at least our team lost the motivation and fighting spirit. If we wait until the team situation and ranking get worser, the reaction may be too late for us, we need to "change" right now.

I think he's been sulking since the window ended. And it's translating to the players. He stated numerous times publicly that he wanted a striker and a left sided defender, maybe even cover for Baines. He didn't get any of that.

As a manager he's always had runs where the side doesn't seem to pick up any wins and then suddenly it'll turn and he'll go on a mad title form run. IMO Given his character my guess is that when things aren't going how he expects, he sulks. He didn't get what he wanted in the Summer, which created friction between him and the club, and that's now translated on to the players. He's trying to use the more established experienced players to help get through this, but they're the ones letting him down the most.
I don't care whether he publicly stated he wanted X Y and Z, considering he blew 150m on a bunch of crap players we never needed to begin with.

Koeman would have had us spending 250m plus and we still wouldn't be looking at the top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back