Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's losing me rapidly, we need a performance and 3 points on Sunday, if we get neither I think it'll be the right time to change it during the International break.

This is his side, Baines was the only survivor from Martinez last game less than 18 months ago.

Only a couple of seasons ago the cries were for Martinez to go and to get 'someone like Koeman' in. Has he become a bad manager over night or is this bad spell a blip when set against 3 very strong seasons in the prem?

I'm lucky I am working on Sunday so it gives me time for the fume to calm down.

I am the opposite.

I can handle the poor performances better if I am actually at the game.

It is like I can vent amongst like minded citizens or something and when the whistle blows for no side my fume has already started to abate.

It us watching on TV, alone, that angers me more and takes me longer to come round :rant:

Mind you, thirty or forty years ago I went into a blue funk for days after a defeat.....often taking the next day off work if it was midweek, or the Monday after a weekend game :(

The thing is Ste he had the bloody players available to play in the correct system.

Why can't we go 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 because that's the squad of players we have capable of playing it

Lennon, Mirallas, Lookman and Vlasic all offer width, direct running, pace and/or trickery. As soon as Vlasic came on Baines'game improved massively ( I'll say this quietly but he looked as close to a Pienaar replacement as I've seen in a long time with his great close control, willingness to cut in but also double up with Baines ). Mirallas or Lookman would have helped Kennys game 10fold. Pick one if Idrissa and Morgan and one of Davies or Davy and that's the midfield 2 and then up top Gylfi or Rooney behind Lewin or Sandro right up top with Lewin or Rooney up top with Lewin

You pick a side according to what you have available, not shoehorn every player intoba system that continues to look flawed time and time again.

Awful management of this squad this season

What a good wide player does is force the opposition to double team him to shut him down, for a player like Baines that creates so much space and time that he can do serious damage, then they are left in trouble about what to do defensively - ie make them think about what they are doing, something we don't make the opposition do anywhere near enough.

I'd say you can even play Davies wide right to help Kenny, but a big caveat is that he needs to be starting from wide and then cutting in rather than what we always do lately which is playing them isndie having to go outside - it makes a massive difference both offensively and defensively to how effective they are.

The squad is far from perfect but right now we have a manager making it look much worse than the sum of its parts when his job is frankly to do the opposite.

Is it stubbornness or what i have no idea, but what it does remind me of is the last season of Martinez - when he would stubbornly stick to things that aren't working - and even when he made changes that improved us in a game, the very next game it would be back to what he set up for last game - almost a trying to force his ideas to work despite the evidence it doesn't, for certain managers yeah - they have the track record of doing that, this one doesn't - all his major turning points in a season - both at Saints and at us - actually came about with a change in system.

Was very on the fence about Rooney - but think it was a huge mistake on current evidence - the manager is playing him regardless of the effect on the shape, and seems unwilling or unable to drop him and see what happens

Be surprised if Koeman lasts out the season frankly and i would hope that behind the scenes we have already sounded out certain available managers in case this form/style continues

Only a couple of seasons ago the cries were for Martinez to go and to get 'someone like Koeman' in. Has he become a bad manager over night or is this bad spell a blip when set against 3 very strong seasons in the prem?
Plenty of good managers get the sack mate, see Ancelotti for details.

He's overseeing a complete mess at the minute and it's a mess of his creation. He's forced to persevere with players that he's paid big money for who look out of place, a new manager wouldn't have that obligation. Whether he goes or stays will probably depend on the dressing room, if there's any senior pros who he's lost, then his time is as good as up.

I think if people could see what he was trying to achieve, and there being a plan that just takes time to implement then we would afford him the time go get it right. The fact of the matter is though, we are just meandering through games. Slow and predictable with the players looking half arsed at best. Something isn't right at the club at the moment and I have my reservations whether Koeman's abrasive approach and style of play are going to get us through this. Sometimes it's better just to cut your losses and start afresh.

Indeed.

This "fact" was much touted during the dismal run of last autumn as if it was no big deal as he "always sorts it out".

Hello?

Amongst other warnings. I have to say that what is going on was not unpredictable. The joker has already ruled out getting above seventh so he should be putting everything into winning the Europa. To do that we have to get through the group stages. If Koeman is left in charge I simply don't think this is going to happen. He didn't do it with Southampton. Moyes and Martinez both got us through the group stages. He's in serious danger of not getting through the group after spending £200 million plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back