Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not convinced in Koeman's narrative around confidence.

We were playing Apollon Limassol, and Koeman is saying on the back of two wins - the issue was we lacked confidence to get the result?

The team wasn't prepared for the season (board/whoever handles transfers), and are being fundamentally setup to fail (Koeman).

I thought he was more alluding to the fact that individual players lacked the confidence to bring the ball forward, and they were instead just taking easy options passing backwards. We've seen this more and more in games, we get a free kick in their half and it ends up back with Pickford. This is not how he wants us to play, cos he's very vocal on the sidelines telling them about it!

For me this is a massive issue with the side. If you take Rooney for example, he comes deep gets the ball in to feet and then lays it off for someone else, so the play hasn't advanced at all, all we've done is move our forward back to the midfield, crowding that area, and now the guy he layed it off to, has fewer options. It's not just Rooney the whole play seems to be like this. And how is he using Gueye? Do we need 2 holding players in midfield at home, even if you are trying to force one to play further forward and get on the ball.

It was marginally better in the second half when he made the subs last night, because Vlasic was prepared to move off the ball and commit players when he had it, and it created more space for Schneiderlin to come out with the ball and go forward. Possibly also to do with them having to deal with Vlasic and DCL's running, so they dropped a little deeper at times.

When we have no pace, teams can 'cheat' on us and push forward or press, knowing we're never getting behind them. He needs to be brave himself and stop relying on the experienced players who keep letting us down and play some genuine movement and players prepared to move and want the ball.

Oh, i agree. Like @chicoazul said, he is a dour, unlikable person. Which would be fine if we were rolling or even playing great(/unlucky) football. We're literally doing the opposite. I just don't see the reasoning to persist with this. And Im sure people will say "think of the how much we would have to pay him off!" but I almost guarantee those are the same people who were screaming "it's not YOUR money!" when a lot of people were thinking it was madness paying £45m for Sigurdsson.

He has never been a particularly good man manager, which i believe is a really big attribute for a manager to have. I'm of the opinion, rightly or wrongly, that Koeman get's his jobs based on his reputation as a player.

He just seems to alienate an awful lot of players and has a track record for it. There is just something about him that is disagreeable, stubborn if you will, my way or the highway type of managing.

It can sour an atmosphere around a club and when that happens the writing is on the wall most of the time.

I've seen some poor Everton teams in my day, but I don't recall seeing a squad with so little shape and balance. Koeman has completely deconstructed a good outfit into a bunch of headless chickens. Really quite embarrassing at times
yep, and it's more than just losing Lukaku's goals. The whole team looks awful.
It seems to be a trend with our managers. Martinez took Moyes hard working, defensively solid team and gave them some attacking flair but once he had time to stamped his mark on the team we looked like Wigan. Koeman comes in and takes Martinez's defensively frail, unfit side team and puts a bit of grit and fitness back in there. Now he's had time and and more money than any manager before him to turn us into his team and we look as bad as anything Martinez produced. It's pretty grim

In all fairness, Tim, Koeman's said many, many times that he didn't want Barry to go.

He'd have been exactly what we needed in Europe this year.

We should have kept him. There would have been lots of game time for him. I'm still slightly baffled by the decision. It was nice. We are all very nice. Everton doing nice things cause we are nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back